Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 16, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #41,176 of 46,564
yes & no

the Little Dot may be somewhat warmer than the Topping (I never heard either...just don't know). But the Little Dot in question was an OTL design (not sure...don't recall previous posts about it)--the fact that's OTL & is a better impedance match for the HD650 could well be the biggest difference in sound.

I have a modded pair of HD650s, and find they sound somewhat warm on all my SS amps; but on the OTL (Woo WA3, itself a relatively warm sound), these headphones sound more frequency-balanced than ever. Better detail/resolution w/no frequency elevations or drops anywhere.

So I'm finding that "warmth" can be trumped by a good resolution match between amp & headphone...

So would you recommend the Little Dot MKIII over the Cavalli Tube Hybrid since it's OTL?

Apr 16, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #41,178 of 46,564
Forgot to say: a number of people here have the CTH and say really nice things about. A friend has one & sooner or later I'll get to hear it.

As for the LD, there's a long/detailed thread about it here somewhere.

Apr 16, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #41,180 of 46,564
I think the Bottlehead Crack rates a bit higher than the CTH for me but the CTH is a more versatile amp though.

Apr 16, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #41,181 of 46,564
I just ordered the CTH again. There's such positive reactions about the CTH + HD650 combo that I'll otherwise keep wondering what I'm missing out on. I figure resale value is pretty high if I end up wanting a warmer amp anyway.

edit: I'll end up paying $375 after taxes, oh well. On the bright side, the Topping D30 + CTH + HD650 might just be endgame for me already.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #41,182 of 46,564
Hey guys. Looking at some headphone options for rock. What do you guys think of these for hard/modern rock? Primarily stuff like Tool, Breaking Benjamin, Thrice, Coheed & Cambria, Tesseract. In addition stuff like Sarah McLachlan, Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles, Two Steps From Hell, as well as some jazz. Thanks! The Grado 325e was way too tinny for me in addition to being uncomfortable.

Apr 16, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #41,183 of 46,564
Hey guys. Looking at some headphone options for rock. What do you guys think of these for hard/modern rock? Primarily stuff like Tool, Breaking Benjamin, Thrice, Coheed & Cambria, Tesseract. In addition stuff like Sarah McLachlan, Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles, Two Steps From Hell, as well as some jazz. Thanks! The Grado 325e was way too tinny for me in addition to being uncomfortable.

I also listen to tool, tesseract, eagles and Fleetwood Mac plus many others like between the buried and me, Metallica, led Zeppelin, Rush and the who. On my setup the hd650s sounds amazing for these types of music. I have sheepskin leather earpads for mine though and that bumps the bass up a bit which works well for my tastes.

Apr 17, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #41,185 of 46,564
I sent back my 325e since it was a bit bright and harsh to me but got an RS2e in its place and modded them with dynamat, sorbothane, felt, G-pads (comfort, bass and sound stage improvements) and SMC connectors for removable cables, these mods transform them in to a great headphone for rock, jazz and pop. The HD650/6XX while good is a bit too smooth at times with rock and doesn't convey the raw energy that some rock tracks need that the RS2e provides IMO. Other headphones that I like for rock are HD700, and custom built Nhoord Red V2 and Ypsilon R1.

Apr 17, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #41,186 of 46,564
ashamed to have bumped the other thread because i didn't notice this one... do you guys think the current drop for 6XX is going to actually go through? i'm kind of nervous that it won't - the stars finally aligned for me to get in on something like this; praying i can get out of the ath-m50 ghetto

Apr 17, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #41,187 of 46,564
ashamed to have bumped the other thread because i didn't notice this one... do you guys think the current drop for 6XX is going to actually go through? i'm kind of nervous that it won't - the stars finally aligned for me to get in on something like this; praying i can get out of the ath-m50 ghetto

Up to 45,000 units and people can buy up to 5! These seems like it's selling to retailers! I see no reason why the drop would not "go through". If they can get even close to 45,000 units, well, that's impressive.

Apr 17, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #41,188 of 46,564
I don't see why not. Any particular reason you think it wouldn't go through?

Apr 17, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #41,189 of 46,564

"ath-m50 ghetto" that's funny!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back