Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 26, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #39,452 of 46,514
No worries, I think tube distortion sounds awful anyway.

"If you prefer recording your blue-ray disc onto VHS because it gives you that jolt of nostalgia (maybe akin to running your tube amp with Hugo), go nuts! Good for you. Nothing wrong with that. Just know that is what you're doing." - SoundFreaq

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #39,453 of 46,514
No worries, I think tube distortion sounds awful anyway.

"If you prefer recording your blue-ray disc onto VHS because it gives you that jolt of nostalgia (maybe akin to running your tube amp with Hugo), go nuts! Good for you. Nothing wrong with that. Just know that is what you're doing." - SoundFreaq
I felt the same way for many many years. I was all about a clean perfect sound. Some reason recently I have enjoyed something a little different and enjoying the little change the tube is making on the vali 2. I still like my portable setup and iems to be perfect though, but my desktop and full sized cans while at my pc is a bit different for some reason. If I want to go back to a more solid state sound then I can go back to a cleaner sounding tube like the stock one that came with it. Now I know its not a full blown tube amp and I am not sure how I would feel with a full on tube amp. Maybe one day I will try one again and see if I have changed completely and can tolerate it or even enjoy it now.

Here I am listening to my hd650 with a 1977 Reflector 6n3p-e and an adapter and 3 doors down. Its quite enjoyable.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #39,454 of 46,514
If you think tubes only color the sound or add crappy distortion you haven't heard a good tube amp. Some of the best are transparent and as clear as the best SS amps without the stridency, plus they usually create a far more realistic soundstage.

Jul 26, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #39,455 of 46,514
The thing is, I've come from being a detail oriented goofball to loving the laid back nature of the HD650, how warm an natural it is with everything. I still want some HE560's or HE-6's. But I could legitimately never find it in my heart to part from my HD650 at this point. I listen to it and never get sick of it. I'd love a nice SS amp that is a little bit more powerful for futureproofing reasons, different headphones moving forwards, but still has some good HD650 synergy. Around 200ish$ loosely would be ideal.

Jul 26, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #39,456 of 46,514
If you think tubes only color the sound or add crappy distortion you haven't heard a good tube amp. Some of the best are transparent and as clear as the best SS amps without the stridency, plus they usually create a far more realistic soundstage.
None of these tubes i am using are adding distortion. Each one does change the sound. Some open up the highs a bit as well as open up the lows. Some change the sound stage and add detail. Some add transparency and some add warmth. I think that is the fun of tube rolling. I dont think I would like it if any really added any distortion.

Jul 26, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #39,457 of 46,514
If tubes inherently distorts and sound worse than SS then Sennheiser should employ some of you to design the next Orpheus. Tell them don't use tubes anymore.
It all depends on the design and implementation. Saying one type is bad and another is good based on only one variable is wrong.

Jul 26, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #39,458 of 46,514
My comment about distortion was towards @Mad Max who mentioned he doesn't like tube distortion. Good tube amps have negligible distortion at most listening levels and at full output usually have 1-2% distortion which is lower than bass distortion in a lot of headphones.

Jul 26, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #39,459 of 46,514
I just read latest discussion on power and sound relation. I agree power is not everything but it seems if I will not get enough power for my HD6XX I could not gather other qualities of the headphone am I right? I am not experienced hi-fier or i am not an expert on any of this area, I will just give my example from my daily experience.

I have LG V20 and as some of you might know it has 3 step DAC/AMP, it switches between those according to impedance of the headphone connected. When I listen V20 through a lower impedance IEM, I can easily make the volume level 65-75 / 75. But when I force V20 to High Impedance mode, in many cases 35-45 / 75 level is enough for me, that is what expected but at high impedance mode, not only volume improves for my ears, the sound quality (details, clarity, dynamism, bass quality etc..) is also comes noticeably better to me.

So I think if I will choose an AMP between different options, I will consider other qualities of course I know power is not everyting but, also I will go which has capable of giving me higher power. Is my thinking silly what do you think :)

Edit: I tried to say if every quality of 2 AMPs are similar I would go with powerful one, but of course I know capacity of headphone is not limitless and too much power will distort the sound after some level.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #39,460 of 46,514
but of course I know capacity of headphone is not limitless and too much power will distort the sound after some level

Your ears (and brain) should be hoisting the white flag long before this happens.

Jul 26, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #39,461 of 46,514
If you want help finding an amp, you need to provide budget ( I think you did, $200?), give any comparisons to other amps or gear you have heard, tell us what you fell is missing or would like to be added by the amp, if anything, preferences for tubes or SS, or hybrid etc. Give as much information as possible so we can be best informed to help you.

Vali 2 is an excellent option as is Garage 1217 Project Sunrise III. Look for used amps in the classifieds for extra savings. A Valhalla 2 would be amazing with the HD6XX.

Jul 26, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #39,462 of 46,514
If you want help finding an amp, you need to provide budget ( I think you did, $200?), give any comparisons to other amps or gear you have heard, tell us what you fell is missing or would like to be added by the amp, if anything, preferences for tubes or SS, or hybrid etc. Give as much information as possible so we can be best informed to help you.

Vali 2 is an excellent option as is Garage 1217 Project Sunrise III. Look for used amps in the classifieds for extra savings. A Valhalla 2 would be amazing with the HD6XX.

I don't have experience with AMPs, so I can not tell you I need such kind of amp etc. I just listened HD650 in a meeting for a few minutes and I could not find time to try it through any AMP. Just I can say I want to use my Meridian Explorer 2 as DAC. So, just an AMP (below 200 USD) is ok for me.

Jul 26, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #39,464 of 46,514
Guess that I shouldn't mention that I recently bought a turntable for the first time in 30 year........oops, I slipped :wink:

Jul 26, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #39,465 of 46,514
Hi, i have read this with interest, i use x-cans v3 (upgraded by pink floyd in Scotland with pinkie psu) and this is a magical combination, as it is a hybrid it seems to combine the best of tubes and ss and was i believe designed specifically around the hd6xxx series.

a second hand bargain if you can find one.

d

Users who are viewing this thread

Back