Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 14, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #39,286 of 46,514
Are you saying that the K7XXs are better than the HD6XXs?

Not necessarily...depends on where you're preferences lie....the overall tonal signature is truer on the Senns IMHO, the AKG can sound a little nasal in "direct" comparisons....the K7XXs had more apparent base extension and a wider, less congested sound-stage....amplification can play a vital role in getting the best out of either phone...the overall tonal signature of the K7XXs does "not" change that much although the base is better with more current .... the Senns can sound "just" ok from a smartphone but with improved source and amplification they get to sound very "high end" ...the K7XXs not so much.
But again my new 650s just seem to have something extra.......I just do not recall the HD6XXs performing on the same level which sounded the same as my previous 650s...???
As I posted awhile back I'm hoping to borrow my "sold" HD6XXs just to verify along with another set of ears. : )

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #39,287 of 46,514
While I don't have the HD6XX yet, I do have a HD650 and K7XX, for me they are both great, different sound signatures and with good and bad points. One thing to point out is to me they sound their best on different gear:
K7XX: UD-301 -> Ember
HD-650: Bimby -> BH Crack

Would the HD6XXs sound much better than the K7XXs through the Mojo, do you think?

Jul 14, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #39,288 of 46,514
Would the HD6XXs sound much better than the K7XXs through the Mojo, do you think?
Hard to say, my friend who had the Mojo sold it so I have no way of trying. FWIW, the few time I tried the Mojo from my friend it didn't impress me much as a amp but the DAC was good, if a bit on the warm side. My HD650 didn't sound great on the Mojo, it was much too warm and the bass was a bit bloated, I didn't try the K7XX with the Mojo so I have no idea how the pairing would sound, but since I like the K7XX on my Ember (neutral/warm) I don't think the HD6XX would be a great pairing with the Mojo, might be overly warm but never can tell without actually trying it.

Jul 14, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #39,289 of 46,514
IMG_4013.JPG
650 modded is considerably better than the stock form imho. Day off and enjoying it.

Jul 14, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #39,290 of 46,514
Only you will know what you like. That is the problem. You might prefer the k7xx through the mojo or you might prefer the hd6xx, you might not prefer either, or you might not be able to tell a difference. Only listening to them can you tell. One benefit is the hd6xx will retain their value.

Jul 14, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #39,291 of 46,514
A $199 HD650 is a bargain. So much so that I have to remind myself why I sold my pair. A common complaint about it is that it has a "dark veil." Based on my experience, let me try to unpack what that is.

Jude says in his 6XX review that when people say that the 650 is veiled what he thinks they mean is that it's "laid back." That's not quite right in my opinion. My Monoprice Monolith M1060 is laid back, even a little recessed, but to me it just sounds like there's a little bit of space between me and the music. It's different with the 650. While not neutral or even analytical, in my opinion there is something clinical about the way it presents music. It's like there's a thin wall of glass preventing me from fully enjoying the music. The 650 is also very mid-oriented, so I would not recommend it if you're a classical music fan.

A lot of people will say that these are comfortable headphones. I found them stiff feeling. I kept reading they would relax. Mine were stiff feeling even after two years of use. I also hated the velour pads a.k.a. lint magnets. After a while, they just looked gross (thankfully they're replaceable).

Last but not least, one of the drivers started cutting out. I had to send the 650 back to Sennheiser for repair. Even though it was just within the 2 year guarantee window, Sennheiser did not want to repair them. I think they told me that the serial number had been scratched out or something. I had to go up the chain until I spoke to a very nice manager who resolved everything for me and ordered them to be repaired. This was after I explained to him that I bought them from Amazon off the actual product page. If you're not careful, it looks like you're buying directly from Amazon when you're not. You won't have this problem buying from Massdrop, so if you're considering buying them on Amazon to get them faster I recommend being patient and going through Massdrop.

In short, the 650 were headphones I appreciated and respected, but rarely liked or enjoyed. This has been an alternative view from somebody who thinks that the 650 earned the "darkly veiled" complaint for a reason. Maybe the veil goes away with the right pairing. But then if you don't already have one you have to factor in the price of a very good amp. Having said all that negative stuff, for $199 it's hard not to buy these again just to see if I underestimated them the first time around.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #39,293 of 46,514
In short, the 650 were headphones I appreciated and respected, but rarely liked or enjoyed. This has been an alternative view from somebody who thinks that the 650 earned the "darkly veiled" complaint for a reason. Maybe the veil goes away with the right pairing. But then if you don't already have one you have to factor in the price of a very good amp. Having said all that negative stuff, for $199 it's hard not to buy these again just to see if I underestimated them the first time around.

The first time I got my 6XX, I am disappointed with the hype about how good the 650 is. I haven't use my 6xx as much as I used my T90 because I thought even at $199, it just doesn't seems right. That's what I thought until I upgrade my Dac and amp. I paired them together and the 6XX sounds totally different. It's like everything comes to life. Personally, I felt like it should worth more than 650 current price. Although I'm more than satisfied with how good it became, I still decided to mod it and see how good it can be. To my surprise, It's getting even better. For long hours listening, I can easily pick my modded 6XX over my HD800 SDR mod. This time I thought, at $199, it's a no brainer. Definitely enjoy my current 6XX :beyersmile:

Jul 15, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #39,295 of 46,514
Hi! I have a question to you all. First of all, my experience in audio is limited. I bought the 650s in January after I demoed them in a shop. I immediately liked the sound, especially the midrange. I mostly listen to classical and alternative rock. Over time, I felt there was something missing in the top end, and the soundstage seemed a bit messy. I sold them in March. All that time, I ran them through my Macbook Pro 2014, no amp.

Now in July, I still miss the headphones. My question to you all is, if I bought an amp, would the top end come out to be better? And the soundstage wider and more defined?

I am thinking of getting them again, or the 600s, or DT 1990s. Your advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

Jul 15, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #39,296 of 46,514
Hi! I have a question to you all. First of all, my experience in audio is limited. I bought the 650s in January after I demoed them in a shop. I immediately liked the sound, especially the midrange. I mostly listen to classical and alternative rock. Over time, I felt there was something missing in the top end, and the soundstage seemed a bit messy. I sold them in March. All that time, I ran them through my Macbook Pro 2014, no amp.

Now in July, I still miss the headphones. My question to you all is, if I bought an amp, would the top end come out to be better? And the soundstage wider and more defined?

I am thinking of getting them again, or the 600s, or DT 1990s. Your advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

With the right amp and dac the treble is really good out of the HD650s. I have also swapped to leather pads with a thinner foam liner covering the driver and that seems to bring out the treble as well.

Jul 15, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #39,297 of 46,514
I have both the HD600 and HD6XX. Both benefit from an amp as both are high impedance 300 ohm cans. YMMV, but I find the HD600's have a little more sparkle in the high end than the HD650's.

Never tried the DT1990's...

:)

Edited correcting to 300 ohm...

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #39,299 of 46,514

Although they'll definitely perform better with an amp neither treble extension nor soundstage width are the biggest strengths on the HD650.

Jul 15, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #39,300 of 46,514

Users who are viewing this thread

Back