Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 15, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #39,302 of 46,499
@Shane D Have a read of the following from another thread.

The Vali is more powerful (1W into 32 ohms) compared to A5 (800mW into 32 ohms).

The A5s advantages are portability and also bass boost and gain control.

Sonically (subjective) I hear it as pretty neutral - which is what an amp should be.

If you're looking for a portable option - obviously the A5 wins. If you're solely looking at desktop use - there is no real advantage unless you need the bass boost, and you currently find Vali less than optimal in terms of noise etc

Ultimately decide based on use rather than sonics

Jul 15, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #39,303 of 46,499
Timing is everything!

Today my wife mentioned to me that she is interested in occasionally listening to music in bed prior to sleep as I do (she typically reads). She asked if my bedside system could accommodate this. Well I said, actually yes because my Lake People G109-S has 2 headphone outputs. I said however, that my favourite headphones (HD650's) are 300 ohm impedance and that if she chose one of my other headphones (which are more efficient), the volume on those headphones would probably be too loud for her. Well she said that wouldn't do.

So I informed her of the Massdrop HD6XX promo going on right now, which to her meant nothing, translation please...long story short...she said, then please order them for me. Well, OK then. Done. The only bad thing about this wonderful story is that she needs to wait until December 18th. She said, that's ok. Life's good!

Jul 15, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #39,304 of 46,499
@Shane D Have a read of the following from another thread.

Thanks for the heads up!

For me, it will just be desktop. Wish I could audition several, but that is not an option down here in the Maritimes. And no use even trying until I get the HD6XX'S.

Just research and learn which is fun, up to a point...

Shane D

Jul 15, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #39,305 of 46,499
dac and amps play a big part in this as well.

Yes for sure, I've tried a lot of different alternatives and still I'd never describe the soundstage of the HD650 as particularly large for a open headphone or the treble as exceptionally well extended. Tbh I don't think I've ever seen anyone describing these particular areas as the best part of them compared to many other offerings in the same price range.

From what the OP said I'd personally think that the Fidelio X2's would be a much better alternative but as always YMMV.

Jul 15, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #39,307 of 46,499
I'm asking myself the exact same question... except for me it's the 4th no make that the 5th
Ha ha! The price is indeed very tempting. But thinking rationally I decided to resist. A 6xx would be redundant in my collection. I should be filling gaps (closed headphone, electrostatic, wireless, dedicated classical music cans, or IEM). I will say this though: I found cskippy's advice concerning the M1060 to be pretty good, so I would tend to believe what he's saying about a modded 6xx, which makes it a slightly more tempting purchase. But I would only consider it if after the mod they became better classical music cans, and I just don't think that's the case.

I forgot to mention that I found lead vocals to sound very good on the 650, so if that's your main concern you might be very happy with them.

Jul 15, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #39,308 of 46,499
Hi! I have a question to you all. First of all, my experience in audio is limited. I bought the 650s in January after I demoed them in a shop. I immediately liked the sound, especially the midrange. I mostly listen to classical and alternative rock. Over time, I felt there was something missing in the top end, and the soundstage seemed a bit messy. I sold them in March. All that time, I ran them through my Macbook Pro 2014, no amp.

Now in July, I still miss the headphones. My question to you all is, if I bought an amp, would the top end come out to be better? And the soundstage wider and more defined?

I am thinking of getting them again, or the 600s, or DT 1990s. Your advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

Late to reply here but if its sound stage and better definition I would not be looking at the HD600/HD650 (haven't heard the DT1990 yet). For classical and alt-rock, better highs, great sound stage and better definition I would suggest the HD700. You might like them straight from your laptop but I would suggest a hybrid tube amp like the Ember or similar.

Jul 15, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #39,309 of 46,499
Hi! I have a question to you all. First of all, my experience in audio is limited. I bought the 650s in January after I demoed them in a shop. I immediately liked the sound, especially the midrange. I mostly listen to classical and alternative rock. Over time, I felt there was something missing in the top end, and the soundstage seemed a bit messy. I sold them in March. All that time, I ran them through my Macbook Pro 2014, no amp.

Now in July, I still miss the headphones. My question to you all is, if I bought an amp, would the top end come out to be better? And the soundstage wider and more defined?

I am thinking of getting them again, or the 600s, or DT 1990s. Your advice is much appreciated. Thanks.
From my experience, the amp can definitely change the sound. I get noticeably better clarity out of my Dragonfly 1.2 vs my E10K. When I tried Magni 2, everything sounded clearer vs E10K, but the soundstage actually shrunk. So yes, amps can make a difference. However, for some people those differences aren't that huge.

Like has been mentioned by others here, treble extension and soundstage size are not the HD 650's strengths, so if you if you really want to see huge improvements in those areas, you are probably better off with a different headphone. I have heard good things about DT 990, but have not heard them myself. I was not a fan of X2 due to the tight clamp, weight, and harsh treble on some songs.

Jul 15, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #39,310 of 46,499

Between the DT 1990 and HD 600, I would go for the Beyers. They have more precise imaging, are easier to drive(more efficient). I found the HD 650 to have a better soundstage than the HD 600 and the DT 1990 is better than either sennheiser in terms of imaging and soundstage. Sound signature wise the DT 1990 is akin to the HD 600 but more dynamic, detailed, precise, more expansive, and more aggressive(more present treble) sounding.

A better amp will help with bringing the highs into better focus, tightening the imaging, and soundstage out more.

Jul 16, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #39,314 of 46,499
Yeah, unfortunately most buy the phones before doing the research, myself included.

Me too.

Of course now 15 set of headphones, 4 amps, and 2 DAC's its no longer a problem...

Jul 16, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #39,315 of 46,499
@DavidA, You live in Honolulu correct? I concerned about you when hearing about the fire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back