Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 31, 2017 at 6:06 AM Post #38,431 of 46,527
Hey Head-Fiers...

First I want to state that I enjoy my HD650s a great deal.....

However!

I currently have them plugged into an Audiolab MDAC Plus which is attached to my MAC mini using Curious Cables and the Wyred 4 Sound Recovery.

Recently I have been getting a bit of an itch as I notice they don't give back the same detail I get from my speaker system (I know not a true comparison!) which uses the same DAC into an Audiolab M-PWR amp then Tellerium Q black into the Tannoys. 

In my system currently the HD650s sound overtly bass heavy, at times the mix congeals and they can sound too warm.

So to finally get to the point....

Should I upgrade the cable? If so what would be a good match with a view to "brightening" the sound, increasing detail?

Any cable recommendations?

Should I instead look at a new pair of phones?

If so any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Mar 31, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #38,432 of 46,527
  Hey Head-Fiers...

However!

I currently have them plugged into an Audiolab MDAC Plus which is attached to my MAC mini using Curious Cables and the Wyred 4 Sound Recovery.

Recently I have been getting a bit of an itch as I notice they don't give back the same detail I get from my speaker system (I know not a true comparison!) which uses the same DAC into an Audiolab M-PWR amp then Tellerium Q black into the Tannoys. 

In my system currently the HD650s sound overtly bass heavy, at times the mix congeals and they can sound too warm.

Should I upgrade the cable? If so what would be a good match with a view to "brightening" the sound, increasing detail?

Thanks in advance!

forget cables, if the HD650 sounds bass heavy to you then I recommend looking at another headphone, HD600 or HE400i

Mar 31, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #38,433 of 46,527

Cables don't change the sound. Save your money.

Get an HE560 -- bass is tight and deep. Highs are gorgeous on the right system. Fast dynamics (planar).

Mar 31, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #38,434 of 46,527
Hey Head-Fiers...

However!

Thanks in advance!

To start with you could try experimenting with EQ. It might at least inform you as to what exact change you're looking to achieve. What playback software are you using?

Mar 31, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #38,435 of 46,527
  Hey Head-Fiers...

However!

Thanks in advance!

Search HD650M, the modded HD650.

Mar 31, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #38,436 of 46,527
Cheers Guys

Some interesting ideas thus far!

Mar 31, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #38,437 of 46,527
BTW I forgot to mention that I do see the value of cable upgrades and have many times been surprised by how a cable can make a difference to audio. Don't shoot me! Lol.

Mar 31, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #38,438 of 46,527
BTW I forgot to mention that I do see the value of cable upgrades and have many times been surprised by how a cable can make a difference to audio. Don't shoot me! Lol.

I agree, loudspeaker cables in particular can make a large difference & interconnects to a lesser, but still significant, degree. Headphone cables? Not so much. YMMV.

Mar 31, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #38,440 of 46,527
To start with you could try experimenting with EQ. It might at least inform you as to what exact change you're looking to achieve. What playback software are you using?

Cool thanks good idea. I use Audirvana +

Mar 31, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #38,441 of 46,527
Cool thanks good idea. I use Audirvana +

Your software is decent then, although I'm not sure if it has a parametric EQ option. I use the Sonarworks plug-in and it transforms the HD 650 but it costs money. Experiment with EQ first and see how close you can get to your ideal sound. I believe the 650's are particularly good with EQ because all that's required is to reduce frequencies for a more balanced sound. In my experience the trouble starts once you start boosting frequencies. Anyway, give it a bash. What can it hurt. Have fun.

Mar 31, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #38,442 of 46,527
Your software is decent then, although I'm not sure if it has a parametric EQ option. I use the Sonarworks plug-in and it transforms the HD 650 but it costs money. Experiment with EQ first and see how close you can get to your ideal sound. I believe the 650's are particularly good with EQ because all that's required is to reduce frequencies for a more balanced sound. In my experience the trouble starts once you start boosting frequencies. Anyway, give it a bash. What can it hurt. Have fun.

Many thanks again! This may give me a nudge to jump on the ROON bandwagon as this has a Parametric EQ and other headphone related DSP functions.... 

Mar 31, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #38,443 of 46,527

it doesn't, but there are many available to add as an AU plug-in. I use one from Voxengo. Sonarworks is a better option, IMO.

Mar 31, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #38,444 of 46,527
Many thanks again! This may give me a nudge to jump on the ROON bandwagon as this has a Parametric EQ and other headphone related DSP functions.... 

I've never tried Roon & frankly never will. I don't understand how anyone can justify the cost.

it doesn't, but there are many available to add as an AU plug-in. I use one from Voxengo. Sonarworks is a better option, IMO.

I have the full Voxengo suite and used a couple of the plug-ins regularly with JRMC. Then I got Sonarworks & used its VST plug-in, again, in JRMC. It was stunning. Then my old version of JRMC (19) broke again. I'd only stuck with it because I'd already bought it and it was my only option that could accept VST without spending more money. I installed Vox just because it was lightweight for when I was using my speaker system. Then I discovered that Vox supported Audio Units so I installed the AU version of Sonarworks and, quite honestly, I now have the best sound I've ever had. It's way better than anything else I've ever used. It plays all file formats, high resolution & even incorporates Crossfeed (for me, an essential component in headphone listening). On top of all that it's absolutely free.

Mar 31, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #38,445 of 46,527
Hey Head-Fiers...

However!

Thanks in advance!

The HD650s sound fuller than my Tannoy bookshelves also. The Tannoy wooden box resonance is very musical and extremely pleasing in the uppermid. However...

The HD650s sound virtually identical in tonality to my Neumann KH120s...matching them in overall detail retrieval, same bass punch. Identical treble levels, uppermid levels. Identical tonality!

I am almost certain Sennheiser referenced the HD650 when they bought Klein + Hummel and made these Neumann kH120 monitors, which are actually made at the same Irish factory as HD650s.

650heads rejoice...I found your speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back