Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 4, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #37,171 of 46,554
Jan 4, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #37,172 of 46,554
Should I bother upgrading from a Vali 1 / Modi 1, if my budget is in the ~$500 range?

I basically feel like everything is going to be a sidegrade.  At least as far as Schiit products go.  For example, would a Valhalla 2 or Asgard 2, paired with a Modi Multibit really be "that" much better, if I'm listening to Spotify Premium / Tidal the majority of the time?

Jan 4, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #37,174 of 46,554
  Should I bother upgrading from a Vali 1 / Modi 1, if my budget is in the ~$500 range?

I basically feel like everything is going to be a sidegrade.  At least as far as Schiit products go.  For example, would a Valhalla 2 or Asgard 2, paired with a Modi Multibit really be "that" much better, if I'm listening to Spotify Premium / Tidal the majority of the time?

You could look into the Jotunheim with built in DAC, I can't speak for the DAC as I have external (Bifrost MB)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/818323/schiit-jotunheim-review-preview-head-fi-tv/3270#post_13141153
but the amplifier certainly goes well with HD650

Jan 4, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #37,175 of 46,554
HD650s have just been ordered. Delivery due January 11th
smily_headphones1.gif

Congrats! Make sure you give yourself a couple days to adjust to them. The first time I listened to mine I was so used to the sound signature of my Fidelio X2s and to a lesser extend my 598Cs I was a little unsure about the 650s. After a couple weeks though I find it tough to go back to either of my other headphones. The X2s seem too bloated in the low end and too grating in the treble. The 598Cs... I think it's just a completely different experience since they are closed. Everything just sounds so much smoother, and tighter with the 650s.

Jan 4, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #37,176 of 46,554

I would wait a while longer to get a slightly larger budget.  The HD-650 is a headphone that will scale with better gear and the sweet spot to me is Modi MB and BH Crack with upgraded tubes and caps, estimate to be $750-$900.  Another thing to consider is if you have other headphones then I would look at the Ember from Garage 1217, one of the most flexible amps around and able to drive almost anything.

As for the Tidal / Spotify Premium I was not impressed with the quality of either versus CD's, and not even close to HDTracks, Acoustic Sounds or iTrax.  The only problem with most of the HD content is much of it is classical with not much main stream stuff, which really doesn't matter since much of the main stream music is not well recorded / mastered.

Jan 4, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #37,177 of 46,554
I am listening to Tidal now, streamed at hifi resolution, through a modified Logitech Squeezebox (with a $1000 upgraded power supply) and feeding a somewhat now vintage Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Dac, which sports tubes in the output stage, a highly regulated power supply, and upsamples to 192k. Compared to a Sony HAPZ1ES, the same songs on Tidal  are only a tad less revealing, but super enjoyable. I have a few issues with Tidal, but sound quality is not one of them.

Tonight I had some fun comparing  (i) my HD650 to the recently acquired HD6xx, and (ii) Moon Audio Blue Dragon v1 cables vs. Cardas Clear cables (the latter about 3x the cost of the Moons). The test wasn't totally apples to apples - the HD6xx has maybe 20 hours on it, and still sounds closed in compared to the well worn leather glove that is the HD650. Also, and maybe a bigger difference, the Cardas was running via its XLR connection to the balanced outputs of a Woo Audio WA22, whereas the Moon Audio cable is hooked up to the 1/4 plugs.

I used two songs - Vance Joy's Riptide (I'm a glutton for punishment - one listen is good, six borders on insanity), which is a nice recording because of the great layer of acoustic instrument and percussion instruments (including a nice box drum).Next was Bob Dylan's beautiful "Make You Feel My Love" but covered by Adele on her "19" debut album. It's just Adele, backed up by Adele, and accompanied by a gorgeously recorded piano and later, strings. If you don't like Adele, this song might change your mind.

Not sure what to credit each of the differences I heard, but I sure clearly heard them. The best combination, unsurprisingly, was the Cardas Clear and the HD650. Just beautiful. At 29 seconds into Riptide, you hear specific percussion and can pick out superb detail, each individual "snap". The box drum has weight, impact, and body. Acoustic strings have wonderful detail and tone. The backup vocals are rich and harmonically rich.

On Adele's cover, the piano has fullness, tone, and resonance that let you imagine it clearly in its own space. When Adele double tracks her backup vocals, you can articulate each voice just wonderfully. Best of all, the emotion in the song just shines through.

Switching to the Moon Audio (unbalanced), these details and emotion are blurred. It's like you just wiped a clear pristine window with a thin sheen of clear oil - you can pick out the details still but they've just their lost their clarity, and the emotion and pace are slower, and overall things are more blurred. Mind you, the sound is still great, but you can't just forget what you originally heard.

Both of these cables are solid choices, and clearly the balanced outputs contribute to the clarity and detail, but I instantly lost any regret I had about the cost of the Cardas over the Moon Audio (I bought both used, thankfully). The HD650 running balanced on the Woo WA22 is also a special match.

I heard the same differences on the HD6xx but to a lesser degree - these evidently need many more hours of break-in as they are still compressed and less dynamic by comparison. 

After six listens for each track, I had to clear my head. Thankfully Tidal easily served up three versions of Traffic's "Dear Mr. Fantasy". I liked the CSNY live cover the best.

Jan 5, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #37,178 of 46,554
  Only cracked headband I have ever seen was caused by someone trying to adjust them to loosen the clamping force.  They tried to bend the plastic not the metal. Snap.

These are well built cans and with proper care I can see them lasting a lifetime...

Thanks, I went ahead and bought them anyway. I figure if it was that big of a problem it wouldn't keep being recommended all over the web with overwhelmingly positive reviews. I've also read many accounts of people having owned pairs for 10+ years without any problem.

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #37,179 of 46,554
Jan 5, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #37,180 of 46,554
  Congrats! Make sure you give yourself a couple days to adjust to them. The first time I listened to mine I was so used to the sound signature of my Fidelio X2s and to a lesser extend my 598Cs I was a little unsure about the 650s. After a couple weeks though I find it tough to go back to either of my other headphones. The X2s seem too bloated in the low end and too grating in the treble. The 598Cs... I think it's just a completely different experience since they are closed. Everything just sounds so much smoother, and tighter with the 650s.

Thanks mates, I have been playing around with the idea of getting these for a long time now so its time I pushed the button. It will be interesting to see the difference between my AKG K550s. As you say it will probably take a few weeks to adjust to the sound signature but hopefully they will be a noticeable improvement.

Also excited about using them with the Dragonfly to see how they perform and then moving on to a dedicated amp/dac combo or stack. So many options available out there...

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #37,184 of 46,554
  I am listening to Tidal now, streamed at hifi resolution, through a modified Logitech Squeezebox (with a $1000 upgraded power supply) and feeding a somewhat now vintage Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Dac, which sports tubes in the output stage, a highly regulated power supply, and upsamples to 192k. Compared to a Sony HAPZ1ES, the same songs on Tidal  are only a tad less revealing, but super enjoyable. I have a few issues with Tidal, but sound quality is not one of them.

Tonight I had some fun comparing  (i) my HD650 to the recently acquired HD6xx, and (ii) Moon Audio Blue Dragon v1 cables vs. Cardas Clear cables (the latter about 3x the cost of the Moons). The test wasn't totally apples to apples - the HD6xx has maybe 20 hours on it, and still sounds closed in compared to the well worn leather glove that is the HD650. Also, and maybe a bigger difference, the Cardas was running via its XLR connection to the balanced outputs of a Woo Audio WA22, whereas the Moon Audio cable is hooked up to the 1/4 plugs.

I used two songs - Vance Joy's Riptide (I'm a glutton for punishment - one listen is good, six borders on insanity), which is a nice recording because of the great layer of acoustic instrument and percussion instruments (including a nice box drum).Next was Bob Dylan's beautiful "Make You Feel My Love" but covered by Adele on her "19" debut album. It's just Adele, backed up by Adele, and accompanied by a gorgeously recorded piano and later, strings. If you don't like Adele, this song might change your mind.

Not sure what to credit each of the differences I heard, but I sure clearly heard them. The best combination, unsurprisingly, was the Cardas Clear and the HD650. Just beautiful. At 29 seconds into Riptide, you hear specific percussion and can pick out superb detail, each individual "snap". The box drum has weight, impact, and body. Acoustic strings have wonderful detail and tone. The backup vocals are rich and harmonically rich.

On Adele's cover, the piano has fullness, tone, and resonance that let you imagine it clearly in its own space. When Adele double tracks her backup vocals, you can articulate each voice just wonderfully. Best of all, the emotion in the song just shines through.

Switching to the Moon Audio (unbalanced), these details and emotion are blurred. It's like you just wiped a clear pristine window with a thin sheen of clear oil - you can pick out the details still but they've just their lost their clarity, and the emotion and pace are slower, and overall things are more blurred. Mind you, the sound is still great, but you can't just forget what you originally heard.

Both of these cables are solid choices, and clearly the balanced outputs contribute to the clarity and detail, but I instantly lost any regret I had about the cost of the Cardas over the Moon Audio (I bought both used, thankfully). The HD650 running balanced on the Woo WA22 is also a special match.

I heard the same differences on the HD6xx but to a lesser degree - these evidently need many more hours of break-in as they are still compressed and less dynamic by comparison. 

After six listens for each track, I had to clear my head. Thankfully Tidal easily served up three versions of Traffic's "Dear Mr. Fantasy". I liked the CSNY live cover the best.

I'm not sure if your tongue is in your cheek but Adele's '19' sounds awful to me. Way too hot!

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #37,185 of 46,554
Someone on here made them, bought them from him just picked the color I wanted, I wanted a shorter cable with 3.5 mm end in case for some crazy reason I want to use it with my phone

Glad the cable is still working for you.  Did you ever get an Ember for the HD-650 and HD-800?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back