Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 5, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #37,186 of 46,564
Someone on here made them, bought them from him just picked the color I wanted, I wanted a shorter cable with 3.5 mm end in case for some crazy reason I want to use it with my phone

Glad the cable is still working for you.  Did you ever get an Ember for the HD-650 and HD-800?

Still debating what to buy now I'm considering the Jotunheim also but in the mean time I'm enjoying the Asgard 2 :slight_smile:

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #37,187 of 46,564
Still debating what to buy now I'm considering the Jotunheim also but in the mean time I'm enjoying the Asgard 2 :slight_smile:

Unfortunately the Jotunheims are back ordered and out of stock til mid February... 
frown.gif

Jan 5, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #37,188 of 46,564
  As for the Tidal / Spotify Premium I was not impressed with the quality of either versus CD's, and not even close to HDTracks, Acoustic Sounds or iTrax.  

I think your ears are fooling you. Tidal (hifi at least) is bitwise the exact same as CD (if you have the same release), so if you can hear a difference something might be wrong with your setup or gear.

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #37,190 of 46,564

I think your ears are fooling you. Tidal (hifi at least) is bitwise the exact same as CD (if you have the same release), so if you can hear a difference something might be wrong with your setup or gear.

They may be the same bitwise (320cbr) but they don't sound the same even for the same release.  FWIW I was not the one who used Tidal / Spotify but a fellow headfier / friend who is the one who noticed the difference, the files he had downloaded on his AK120 sounded different than the files that I had ripped (used Exact Audio Copy) so we first though it was due to the AK120.  We copied a few files from his AK120 and put them on my PC and listened to both and there was a difference that was easily noticed by both of us and my GF.  I haven't done any other testing of either service but that has been my experience so far.

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #37,191 of 46,564
Back in the 70's, plugging an "audiophile clock" somewhere in the mains to improve all of your audio equipment was all the rage. Even Absolute Sound and Stereophile raved about it. When a brave buyer opened it up despite it will void the warranty, he found a $17.99 Radioshack LED clock in it. Suddenly everyone died down about the "tweak". I think it was sold at $300, in 1970 money. That's $1,882 in today's money.

And still today there are quantum pebbles, and tachyon generators, and fairy dust grounding boxes, each sold at exorbant prices promising audiophools that they will improve their gear. Buyers will swear on their mothers' graves that they can hear improvements from the expensive tweaks.

What I'm trying to say is, if it is bit perfect, its bit perfect. There's no reason for it to sound different. Unless the sound goes through some sort of compression before streaming through the net, or the software itself is affecting playback.

Or it could be the case like HDTrack where its a hit-and-miss situation because some 24/192 sounds like 16/44.1 and some tracks sound worse than their CD rips. Depending the files given by the record labels, some are better than the others. One case was they had posted a 24/176 version of Time Out by the Dave Brubeck Quartet and the track got several complaints because it sounded different so they had to request a replacement file from the record label.

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #37,192 of 46,564
They may be the same bitwise (320cbr) but they don't sound the same even for the same release.  FWIW I was not the one who used Tidal / Spotify but a fellow headfier / friend who is the one who noticed the difference, the files he had downloaded on his AK120 sounded different than the files that I had ripped (used Exact Audio Copy) so we first though it was due to the AK120.  We copied a few files from his AK120 and put them on my PC and listened to both and there was a difference that was easily noticed by both of us and my GF.  I haven't done any other testing of either service but that has been my experience so far.

The hi fi setting delivers a streamed FLAC file but maybe the download option produces a lower bitrate file? Maybe he didn't opt for the higher priced resolution? BTW, email from Tidal today that they are offering MQA quality masters now. Hmmmm

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #37,193 of 46,564
i want get a all in one dacamp, need dsd support. now im thinking
x1s
Output Voltage level @ 0db:2.1V RMS
Headphone output : 300 ohm/80MW
hd dac1
Fixed:
2.3 V RMS (PCM)
1.7 V RMS (DSD)
Variable:
2.3 V RMS (PCM) (Volume max./Gain: Low)
1.7 V RMS (DSD) (Volume max./Gain: Low)
Headphone output:
800 mW/32 Ω/ohms (Volume max.)

which can push 650 better? and with better listening experence too. Or should i wait for denon 310usb? Or other all in one USB DAC? Donnt wanz spend more than hddac1

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #37,194 of 46,564
The hi fi setting delivers a streamed FLAC file but maybe the download option produces a lower bitrate file? Maybe he didn't opt for the higher priced resolution? BTW, email from Tidal today that they are offering MQA quality masters now. Hmmmm

As I said the previous post, it was another who subscribed to the sites and did the downloading.  Anyway we r getting a little off topic

Jan 6, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #37,195 of 46,564
Put a pair of ZMF Omni pads on my HD 650s today and I'm liking the sound. Also removed the foam. They sound more open, bass is a bit deeper and more precise. There's also a bit more weight and clarity to the mids. This mod makes for a nice improvement of an already great pair of phones. I'm listening balanced to a Jot.

Jan 6, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #37,196 of 46,564
Put a pair of ZMF Omni pads on my HD 650s today and I'm liking the sound. Also removed the foam. They sound more open, bass is a bit deeper and more precise. There's also a bit more weight and clarity to the mids. This mod makes for a nice improvement of an already great pair of phones. I'm listening balanced to a Jot.

Picture?

Jan 6, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #37,199 of 46,564
The black box is the same model that's been around since 2007ish. Only the box changed after that. You have the current version.

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #37,200 of 46,564
  is it rare to get these at the $300 price point?  That's the current price on Amazon and not sure if that's a regular occurrence, or something to jump on if you're interested in these.

If you look at the Amazon.com pricing history going back to 2008, I'd say it's pretty rare, even recently.

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Sennheiser-HD-650-Professional-Headphone/product/B00018MSNI?context=browse

Users who are viewing this thread

Back