Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #37,156 of 46,554
I've been using my HD650s with the Fulla 2 for the last couple of weeks (switching back and forth between Google Play Music, and Tidal HiFi) and in general I've been quite pleased. No, 40mW per channel is not enough to get the most out of the HD650s, but to my ears it's still an enjoyable experience.

I had been using the HD650s with an Aune X1S which paired quite well, but seeing as the 'selling point' for the X1S is the DAC, and I have no source material that can remotely take advantage of the 32/384/DSD128 capability, I opted to go with the Fulla 2 as an interim 'all-in-one' that I will eventually combine with a Magni 2 (or some other amp via the line out) to better drive the HD650s.

Jan 3, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #37,157 of 46,554
The Modi2/Vali2 stack will cost me 400 euro so I'm kinda doubling my initial budget but of course I want something that I won't want to upgrade after 6 months so if it's worth the investment I will consider it.

Apologies for this question, but how do the Modi2/Vali2 stack connect to each other and my laptop or ipad?

If I needed an all in one DAC/amp solution it would be a Teac UD-301, DAC section is great while the amp section is decent.  The UD-301 has USB, Coax and Optical for connections.

Jan 4, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #37,158 of 46,554
Thanks mate, I can get the JDSLabs ODAC+Objective2 delivered to Ireland for just over 300 euro, is there anything else I should be looking at in that price range?

What would be a good amp to pair up with the Audioquest Dragonfly?

I tried the Dragonfly 1.2 with my Magni 2 and 650, and didn't like it.  It sounded way too thin and a bit bright.  iPhone 6 to Magni 2 sounded much better - more neutral.  That leads me to believe that the DF needs a warm sounding amp to pair with, as the Magni 2 itself is considered relatively neutral I think.  Of course, it would more ideal to use a DAC with a line out to an amp vs sending an amplified signal from the DF to another amp.

Jan 4, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #37,159 of 46,554
  I've been using my HD650s with the Fulla 2 for the last couple of weeks (switching back and forth between Google Play Music, and Tidal HiFi) and in general I've been quite pleased. No, 40mW per channel is not enough to get the most out of the HD650s, but to my ears it's still an enjoyable experience.

I had been using the HD650s with an Aune X1S which paired quite well, but seeing as the 'selling point' for the X1S is the DAC, and I have no source material that can remotely take advantage of the 32/384/DSD128 capability, I opted to go with the Fulla 2 as an interim 'all-in-one' that I will eventually combine with a Magni 2 (or some other amp via the line out) to better drive the HD650s.

Thats good to hear as the Fulla 2 is quite cheap at 125 euro so I will definitely read up on this further.

Regarding your point on the Aune X1S and source of material not being good enough, main source of material is Spotify Premium, am I wasting my time looking at mid-range DACs (over 300 euro) based on using Spotify? 

If I needed an all in one DAC/amp solution it would be a Teac UD-301, DAC section is great while the amp section is decent.  The UD-301 has USB, Coax and Optical for connections.

Another good suggestion, there are so many options out there its very hard to pick a winner without having the option to listen to each seperately which is not an option for a lot of us

Jan 4, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #37,160 of 46,554

I tried the Dragonfly 1.2 with my Magni 2 and 650, and didn't like it.  It sounded way too thin and a bit bright.  iPhone 6 to Magni 2 sounded much better - more neutral.  That leads me to believe that the DF needs a warm sounding amp to pair with, as the Magni 2 itself is considered relatively neutral I think.  Of course, it would more ideal to use a DAC with a line out to an amp vs sending an amplified signal from the DF to another amp.

I am currently using the Dragonfly 1.2 with a set of AKG K550s and to me the sound is also very thinny and bright. I am by no means in a position to expand further on the sound characteristics I can hear but for me its not good for long term listening, I find an hour or so and I am glad to get the headphones off my ears, the sound is too intrusive if that makes any sense.

I have little experience with good quality headphones and amps / dacs so I don't know what I should or should not be expecting to be honest but what I would like to hear is a warm detailed sound with good deep base and big sound stage if that is achievable in my price bracket 

Jan 4, 2017 at 3:35 AM Post #37,161 of 46,554

I am currently using the Dragonfly 1.2 with a set of AKG K550s and to me the sound is also very thinny and bright. I am by no means in a position to expand further on the sound characteristics I can hear but for me its not good for long term listening, I find an hour or so and I am glad to get the headphones off my ears, the sound is too intrusive if that makes any sense.

I have little experience with good quality headphones and amps / dacs so I don't know what I should or should not be expecting to be honest but what I would like to hear is a warm detailed sound with good deep base and big sound stage if that is achievable in my price bracket 

I have the K553 which is a clone of the K550, its a little on the bright side and can sound thin but it depends on the source and amp a little, if I use a Bimby paired with an Ember w/ a warm tube then the K553 sounds quite nice, but still nothing like the HD-650.  The HD-650 is a noticeable change in sound signature from the K550 and is one of the few headphones that I can listen to as long as I like, or until my ears start to get hot.  One thing I've learned is that synergy between amp and headphone is important, it can really make or break the sound.

Jan 4, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #37,162 of 46,554
  I have the K553 which is a clone of the K550, its a little on the bright side and can sound thin but it depends on the source and amp a little, if I use a Bimby paired with an Ember w/ a warm tube then the K553 sounds quite nice, but still nothing like the HD-650.  The HD-650 is a noticeable change in sound signature from the K550 and is one of the few headphones that I can listen to as long as I like, or until my ears start to get hot.  One thing I've learned is that synergy between amp and headphone is important, it can really make or break the sound.

Again that is good to hear as I do not have the HD650s yet (am ordering them in the next two weeks) so I was a bit apprehensive that I would hear a noticeable difference from the AKG K550s but you have just reassured me that I am making the right decision.

Yes as you say and as I have been reading, the the amp/dac pairing with the HD650 is very important that is why I am doing what I can to make sure I choose the right partner for them. 

For what is worth is the Dragonfly going to get the HD650s sounding good?

Obviously I should get far noticeably better sound using an amp such as the Teac UD-301 or other amps/dacs mentioned above but I will be using the Dragonfly until I get something better. 

Jan 4, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #37,165 of 46,554
  Will the Fulla 2 be a step forward from the Dragonfly? 

Oh I didn't realize you had the Dragonfly. I haven't tried the Dragonfly yet so I'm not gonna comment on that, but it's good to see that you're aware of the possibility of a sidegrade with Fulla 2 - that's a thing to avoid for sure. For what it's worth I don't have a good experience with any Audioquest products so there's that.   

Jan 4, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #37,166 of 46,554

Again that is good to hear as I do not have the HD650s yet (am ordering them in the next two weeks) so I was a bit apprehensive that I would hear a noticeable difference from the AKG K550s but you have just reassured me that I am making the right decision.

Yes as you say and as I have been reading, the the amp/dac pairing with the HD650 is very important that is why I am doing what I can to make sure I choose the right partner for them. 

For what is worth is the Dragonfly going to get the HD650s sounding good?

Obviously I should get far noticeably better sound using an amp such as the Teac UD-301 or other amps/dacs mentioned above but I will be using the Dragonfly until I get something better. 

Try the Dragonfly first with the HD-650 and see if its okay for you.  After a few weeks or months try the HD-650 on different systems if you get a chance to see if there is a noticeable difference from the Dragonfly.  If you don't notice any differences then you are good and don't need to invests in so called upgrades.

Jan 4, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #37,168 of 46,554
In the past couple weeks there have been several posts here and elsewhere of people listening through a Dragonfly saying the hd650 sounds good. In the long run, however, you will do much better with a desktop amp/DAC combo or stack.

Thanks mate, sure I will have a go with the Dragonfly and see how I get on for a while but yes you are correct there appears to be far better amp/dacs available which will make the HD650s a lot better, I just need to find what suits me best which will be a challenge but I actually enjoy that part of this hobby which I am sure many others do..

Jan 4, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #37,169 of 46,554

Regarding your point on the Aune X1S and source of material not being good enough, main source of material is Spotify Premium, am I wasting my time looking at mid-range DACs (over 300 euro) based on using Spotify? 

I wouldn't necessarily say that you are wasting your time. I'm sure some will say that 'any' source material will sound better with a better dac. It's just in my case I tested three dac/amps (SMSL SD793, Schiit Fulla 2, Aune X1s) with three sets of headphones (Sennheiser HD650, Sennheiser HD598Cs, Philips Fidelio X2) using three different sources (Google Play Music, Tidal HiFi and a loseless test album I had downloaded a couple years back) and I found with the 598Cs, and the X2s there was almost no noticeable difference between the three dac/amps using GPM. With Tidal HiFi and the lossless test album I did notice subtle differences in each of the dac/amps.

Again my tests are by no means scientific, and I'm not including the differences in the HD650 since each of the dac/amps mentioned above have vastly different output power, which, in the case of the HD650s definitely makes a difference in the overall sound.

In my case it was mostly about diminishing returns. At the conclusion of my Tidal HiFi trial I will go back to exclusively using GPM (I'm grandfathered in at $7.99 which includes YouTube Red), My progression plan is Fulla 2 -> Fulla 2 + Magni 2 Uber -> Modi 2 Multibit + Magni 2 Uber (at this point it will be time to re-evaluate my source material) -> Modi 2 multibit + ???, and really the only purchase I plan on making this year is the Magni 2 Uber, so who knows what will be available in 2018 and beyond.

Jan 4, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #37,170 of 46,554
Looking to get a balanced cable for my HD6XX, any recommendation?  I don't want to spend too much, so looking at ImpactAudioCables, https://www.etsy.com/listing/244164727/custom-infinity-series-sennheiser?ref=shop_home_active_1

Which pair well with HD650? pure copper or silver plated copper?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back