Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 21, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #37,007 of 46,499

We build HD650 cables at any length and termination you need. Not sure your budget, but feel free to contact us for options and recommendations. We do have a 20% special coming up too.

This is not the right way to hustle for business.

A quick thought experiment: how useful or palatable do you think this thread would be if dozens of other cable manufacturers chimed in, as you have, every time someone asked for a cable recommendation? Or amp manufacturers pushing their amps in every thread? It's not hard to imagine the ensuing chaos.

For that reason, even if I were looking for a cable, your shop would not be one I turn to for my business, nor would I send anyone your way.

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #37,009 of 46,499
  Is there any store/person that offers services to cut and reterm the cable?

It would help if you fill out your profile so those in a similar location can give you better tailored advice.

With that said there are quite a few that will cut and re-terminate your cable but if you strip wires and do a little soldering its not the most difficult thing to do and it might be cheaper.  You can check out the modders thread to get info on working with cables and most are quite helpful.

Dec 21, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #37,011 of 46,499
  do fakes exist? want to make sure i'm not getting scammed buying used.

​I haven't seen any mention of fakes on this forum or on any other site but that doesn't mean you should not be careful.  If from the for sale thread on this site I haven't seen any problems with fakes so far.

Might also ask about it the owner was a smoker if smoke bothers you and about the condition of the ear pads since they are not the cheapest ones to replace.

Dec 21, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #37,012 of 46,499

​I haven't seen any mention of fakes on this forum or on any other site but that doesn't mean you should not be careful.  If from the for sale thread on this site I haven't seen any problems with fakes so far.

Might also ask about it the owner was a smoker if smoke bothers you and about the condition of the ear pads since they are not the cheapest ones to replace.

Thanks, I'll be careful. I'm buying from eBay. Seller has pretty high feedback score, maybe I'm just paranoid.

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #37,014 of 46,499

This is not the right way to hustle for business.

A quick thought experiment: how useful or palatable do you think this thread would be if dozens of other cable manufacturers chimed in, as you have, every time someone asked for a cable recommendation? Or amp manufacturers pushing their amps in every thread? It's not hard to imagine the ensuing chaos.

For that reason, even if I were looking for a cable, your shop would not be one I turn to for my business, nor would I send anyone your way.

I imagine that if manufacturers got that pushy, this community would probably blacklist them in a hurry.  I found the post to be in context and entirely appropriate -- and worth a quick look.

...But Wait!  If you call in the next ten minutes, we'll DOUBLE your order!  (sound of fading scream as sales-weenie gets flung into the abyss)

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #37,015 of 46,499
I imagine that if manufacturers got that pushy, this community would probably blacklist them in a hurry.  I found the post to be in context and entirely appropriate -- and worth a quick look.

...But Wait!  If you call in the next ten minutes, we'll DOUBLE your order!  (sound of fading scream as sales-weenie gets flung into the abyss)

How do you find a manufacturer jumping into an enthusiast conversation to sell you something appropriate? I have not seen any other manufacturer do this.

If he was a regular contributer to the discussion and and others offered his cables as a solution that would be fine. However, I have never seen him contribute to the discussion, but rather sits and cherry picks every thread I have been on for a chance to peddle his product. Not cool.

Mr speakers is an excellent example of what a manufacturer should be doing. He regularly frequents the conversions for his products and never offers his products as something to consider outside his product thread.

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #37,016 of 46,499

It would help if you fill out your profile so those in a similar location can give you better tailored advice.

With that said there are quite a few that will cut and re-terminate your cable but if you strip wires and do a little soldering its not the most difficult thing to do and it might be cheaper.  You can check out the modders thread to get info on working with cables and most are quite helpful.

Im located in MD (near Virginia). I saw a couple of photos on how it do it and it seems as though there is only a small margin of error. I guess if you mess up you can always chop off a bit more and start again but not sure I want to go that route. Mostly when I am this inexperienced. Also seems that you might need a soldering iron.

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #37,018 of 46,499
How do you find a manufacturer jumping into an enthusiast conversation to sell you something appropriate? I have not seen any other manufacturer do this.

If he was a regular contributer to the discussion and and others offered his cables as a solution that would be fine. However, I have never seen him contribute to the discussion, but rather sits and cherry picks every thread I have been on for a chance to peddle his product. Not cool.

Mr speakers is an excellent example of what a manufacturer should be doing. He regularly frequents the conversions for his products and never offers his products as something to consider outside his product thread.

My opinion is my opinion.  Like you, I am free to share it.  I am happy to agree to disagree.  

The manufacturer politely got his attention and backed right off when there was no interest.  You have to build some awareness of your product until word-of-mouth and increased advertising help.  Yes, it can get out of hand easily -- but everything was in context and neatly handled.  How would anyone have known about this product if the manufacturer not spoken up?  

Yes, he should create his own manufacturer thread.  As long as he isn't making a nuisance out of himself, I don't have a problem with his actions on this thread.  Having said that, I guess that our "nuisance thresholds" vary greatly.  It's all good.

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #37,020 of 46,499

You make a good point, and as it stands, I didn't find his post particularly objectionable in and of itself. But what if twenty other cable makers had made such posts?

This is a tragedy of the commons, or something closely akin to it. You found the post appropriate only because twenty other cable manufacturers aren't doing the same. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back