Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 1, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #36,812 of 46,499
  Assuming all of the following work out to be the same price (or a very small difference), which would be the best option for the HD650s

AUNE T1 SE Mk3 
AUNE X1S
Matrix M-Stage HPA-2
Nuforce Icon HDP
Objective 2/ODAC
Schiit Magni 2/Modi 2

or is there something else entirely in a similar price range?

Among these, I'd recommend the M-Stage wholeheartedly. M-Stage, whether known or not known, had started out with a copy of the Lehmann Black Cube Linear headphone amp. This and another product called the Lovely Cube Premium were considered one of the best clones of the Lehmann amp available. And M-Stage had since made a name for themselves and created more products such as DACs and amps and media players, and throughout development had continued to refine the M-Stage amp. The Lehmann is known to have great and rave reviews, often back in the days used as the reference amplifier when headphone reviews are written, as well as for driving Senn HD800 during exhibitions and demos. 

Of course one might argue they won't sound the same or as good as the Lehmann. Here's this; the topology is the same, the components are the same (if not improved), the op-amp is swappable (as opposed to the soldered one in the Lehmann), and M-Stage had been improving on them for years. Even if it doesn't sound as good as the Lehmann, its still going to sound very good.

The M-Stage as I remember correctly now has models with built in DACs. You can just upgrade the DAC later after a year or two if you want.

I am confident in making these claims because I own the other Lehmann clone which is the Lovely Cube Premium (LCP), and the Aune T1 MK2 as well. The Aune T1 has nothing special to it, the amp section is cheap and comparable to a CMoy, but the tube buffered DAC section is good. Get a good tube and to some people they are set for a few years.

I've since moved to now using a Matrix Mini-I as a DAC and the LCP for my headphone amp and speaker preamp with a Burson V5 op amp upgrade. I might stay with this setup for a few years as I am very pleased.

Dec 1, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #36,813 of 46,499
Assuming all of the following work out to be the same price (or a very small difference), which would be the best option for the HD650s

AUNE T1 SE Mk3 

AUNE X1S

Matrix M-Stage HPA-2

Nuforce Icon HDP

Objective 2/ODAC

Schiit Magni 2/Modi 2

https://youtu.be/VFOd9p-6oZc

https://youtu.be/vlXW20ptu7E

Dec 2, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #36,814 of 46,499

AUNE T1 SE Mk3 
AUNE X1S
Matrix M-Stage HPA-2
Nuforce Icon HDP
Objective 2/ODAC
Schiit Magni 2/Modi 2

I'd probably go with the Schiit Uber stack if I were you. You can even try to get it used if you are okay with it so if you don't like them, you won't incur much losses from selling them.

Dec 2, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #36,815 of 46,499
ive got a little budget tube amp that's been waiting for a new home. Anyone interested can pm me. This little amp actually sounds pretty darn good.
[/IMG]

Dec 2, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #36,816 of 46,499
ive got a little budget tube amp that's been waiting for a new home. Anyone interested can pm me. This little amp actually sounds pretty darn good.
[/IMG]

I have there SS amp the S1 it is a class A SS amp and does it ever sound good with my HD600s the op-amp is changeable as well. Good budget HF amp someone posted on Amazon that they liked it over Schitts Magni HF amp.

Edit: I thought that was a Bravo audio tube amp lol my bad, looks so much like there V2.

Dec 2, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #36,817 of 46,499
Should save up for a used speedball crack. It is true, they are like made for each other. If one doesn't like the speedball crack paired with the 650 then one does not really understand the virtues of the 650s at all.

Dec 2, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #36,818 of 46,499
Public Service Announcement!

Many people come to this thread unsure about what music suits the HD 650.

Here is one answer..

Dec 2, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #36,820 of 46,499
How does it compare to Garage 1217 offering?  Designs look quite similar.
David, I've never heard any of their gear. I bought this when I first wanted to see what tubes had to offer. Bought a bigger amp few weeks after & this has been in my closet for quite sometime. I've got the big otl and thought someone could put it to good use. 45.00 I don't think you'll find anything better.

Dec 2, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #36,821 of 46,499
David, I've never heard any of their gear. I bought this when I first wanted to see what tubes had to offer. Bought a bigger amp few weeks after & this has been in my closet for quite sometime. I've got the big otl and thought someone could put it to good use. 45.00 I don't think you'll find anything better.

That's a great deal, I was looking to see if I could find any info on them and they seem to sell for $125.

If you had to compare it to any other amp what do you think its like? LD 1+? or Aune T1?  I have a friend who has a HD-6XX coming in so she was asking about amps.

Dec 2, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #36,822 of 46,499
That's a great deal, I was looking to see if I could find any info on them and they seem to sell for $125.

If you had to compare it to any other amp what do you think its like? LD 1+? or Aune T1?  I have a friend who has a HD-6XX coming in so she was asking about amps.
David ,
Indeed labs off eBay was where I got it. A awesome guy named Peter I dealt with. I bought a LD mk iii after this and it had more bass slam & was more tube like. But I really didn't enjoy the LD at all. Great amp for someone starting out.

Dec 2, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #36,825 of 46,499
You don't have to hear something to note that it's an imitation, do you? It's not even necessarily a statement of quality. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back