Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 10, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #36,394 of 46,514
Personal prejudice? Who knows, just not a fan. It's probably more to do with some of their fanboys more than anything. Also, I prefer to spend my money in Europe wherever possible.

I totally understand and I too have avoided products due to fan boys myself.

As far as purchasing in the EU, well I'm from the good old USA so the hell with you!!

J/k about the last part, I relate to that as well, I prefer to purchase from my own country as well.

I recently purchased my first Schiit item, Valhalla 2. Seems like a good amp so far. Well built, sounds excellent with the 650s too. That being said, there are a ton of other options. Good luck in your search.
:beerchug:

Rip Leonard Cohen. Talented individual. I just recently started enjoying some of his music.

Nov 11, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #36,396 of 46,514

Yeah, I've done a bit more research and believe there's no audible difference between 96kHz & 192kHz. I do think I might be able to do better than the ODAC though. If not I can't work out why so many people spend so much money on other DAC's.

Gordon,

I have a number of DACs and I've listened to many more at meets and a local dealer.

Here's my $0.02: don't bother unless you are willing to spend a lot more than what you spent on the ODAC. I've never heard the ODAC, but it has a good reputation and I would be cautious about expecting to do better in the $300 range, if I recall your original post correctly.

For DACs, I believe you get what you pay for.

I did an informal bake-off with my collection of DACs (sighted) and concluded that my more expensive DACs were pretty close to one another, but the cheaper units offered more variation in sound (I'll just leave it at that - I don't want to start anything).

I came to the conclusion that my current desktop DAC is as far north as I ever need to go, cost-wise, but was very much worth the spend.

Nov 11, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #36,397 of 46,514
RIP Lenny, you will be sorely missed. Unlike 2016, which has been a complete b*****d!

Nov 11, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #36,398 of 46,514
NOT LENNY!

Nov 11, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #36,399 of 46,514
Nope. I believe their products are good though.

Then I wouldn't worry about what other people are using or think.

Their budget DACs are about as good as you can get for the money. Would have to spend considerably more somewhere else to get the same performance.

Nov 11, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #36,401 of 46,514
I knew something was up when I listened To Leonard's last album, it struck me deeply. RIP you most talented entertainer.

Nov 11, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #36,404 of 46,514
  I knew something was up when I listened To Leonard's last album, it struck me deeply. RIP you most talented entertainer.

I haven't heard the latest album. Not sure that I can face it for a while...

Nov 11, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #36,405 of 46,514
So... am finding this to be perfect fare for the HD650... although I am listening to a download from Qobuz and not the lovely LP illustrated...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back