Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 25, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #35,971 of 46,554
If the recording is bright, would it sound the same on the 650s?
My pair does sound bright now and then. I will give them some more time like a week to settle and report back.

Great idea to give it a week.

Everyone's idea of a bright sound is a little different, if you were using Beyer's or Grado's then the HD-650 might seem quite dark sounding, if you were listening to Beats or Bose then the HD-650 might sound bright to you, its really a matter of your experiences and your individual hearing and preferences.

Think of it this way, many compare other headphones to the HD-650 and HD-600 so in the future you will have a great point of reference when someone describes a headphone to you since many will compare new headphones to the HD-6XX series since they have been around for a very long time and almost all are familiar with their sound.

Oct 25, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #35,972 of 46,554
I see. These are my first high end headphone. I used to listen to earpods before. These are way better.
I'm yet to experience those silvery smooth cymbals that blew my mind when I tried my friend's pair.
Thank you all for helping me. Appreciate it :)

Oct 25, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #35,973 of 46,554
Oct 25, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #35,974 of 46,554
Hi, have anyone had the chance to compare side by side the hd650/600 to the new Focal Elear?

The Elear has cleaner bass (easily fixed with some dampening on 650). Other than that the 650 is a more proficient headphone IMO. I disagree wholeheartedly that the 650 is more relaxed than the Elear. The Elear is significantly darker than the 650 with a rather large dip in the upper mids that kills guitars and some string instruments. Going between the two the 650 was noticeably more clear and resolving.

Having said that, the Elear is a great headphone for fans of a dark and bassy signature.

Oct 25, 2016 at 2:56 AM Post #35,975 of 46,554
How can it be a super HD 650 when it's not as neutral as the HD 650?

I haven't heard the Elear yet but based on measurements the frequency response is off.

Oct 25, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #35,976 of 46,554
How can it be a super HD 650 when it's not as neutral as the HD 650?

I haven't heard the Elear yet but based on measurements the frequency response is off.

Basically amplifying what are considered the more appealing qualities of the 650.

Oct 25, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #35,977 of 46,554
I wish I could drive to a store and test high end headphones. But for most is us, purchasing these toys are mostly based on other people's views. I love both the 650 and 600, but I always thought they are not quite there to be my perfect headphone (close to perfect). I am hoping the Elear does it for me.

Oct 25, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #35,978 of 46,554
I had a TON of experience in car audio, so I've worked with speakers actually hands-on and believe me, dynamic drivers are either totally ****ed or they're fine. I've even seen people accidentally jam a screwdriver into a full size speaker and for the most part it sounded unaffected. 

Thanks for this. Thank you thank you.
I was a bit wary when my wire-cutter got pulled by the headphone magnet when I was removing the rear spider-cage. Extra stupidity when I then switched to tweezer and seemingly scratched that magnet. I can see the scratched when I flashlight it. But it sounds fine (and I have 0 intention of selling, so I didn't care). But good to know that there are somebody out there that are as non-smart as me and still have their audio things works fine.

So @solrighal, while I don't necessarily agree with the word butcher, I don't necessarily disagree that when I mod, it was not event-free and somebody have less to lose from EQ-ing first, than playing play-doh first with their hd650. I'm contradictive though in the sense that I still stand by the opinion that I'd encouraged budget-strap and particularly young newcomers to the hobby that if they are already in possession of a hd650 but not yet have a decent amps (be it due to local availability or budget-constraint), I would encourage them to research dampener mod by themselves and make their own decision on it.

Oct 25, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #35,979 of 46,554
I took my friend's HD 598 and compared them against my HD 650.
I think the grain on some recordings is pronounced more on the 650 than the 598. I don't know if it is the increased clarity or fuller mids. I find the 598s more forgiving. Does anyone have the same experience?

Oct 25, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #35,980 of 46,554
Yes the 598 is more forgiving and in some cases more lenient/laid back than the 650. If you made the comparison immediately, that will be your reaction to the different sound signature. Once you've adjusted to a headphones' signature, you'll come to understand how it reveals and/or forgives recordings.
I have a friend who bought the Beyer T90 and had to EQ the treble down for a few weeks, then afterwards removed the EQ. If I were to use those cans my ears will bleed because of the scraping treble.
The HD650 is a great pair of cans, but just as anything else it depends on the listener's tastes.

Oct 25, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #35,981 of 46,554
Yes the 598 is more forgiving and in some cases more lenient/laid back than the 650. If you made the comparison immediately, that will be your reaction to the different sound signature. Once you've adjusted to a headphones' signature, you'll come to understand how it reveals and/or forgives recordings.
I have a friend who bought the Beyer T90 and had to EQ the treble down for a few weeks, then afterwards removed the EQ. If I were to use those cans my ears will bleed because of the scraping treble.
The HD650 is a great pair of cans, but just as anything else it depends on the listener's tastes.

I see. I have some poor recorded albums. They don't sound that good on my HD 650s. HD 650s are very revealing. They reveal the grain in voices that is not pleasing to hear.The sound is warm yet so revealing. I'm not used to such a revealing sound. I used to listen to earpods before. massive jump from earpods to the HD 650.

Oct 25, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #35,982 of 46,554
I took my friend's HD 598 and compared them against my HD 650.
I think the grain on some recordings is pronounced more on the 650 than the 598. I don't know if it is the increased clarity or fuller mids. I find the 598s more forgiving. Does anyone have the same experience?

I gave away my HD-598 a few years ago but I remember it being a little less forgiving than the HD-650 due to the upper mid and lower treble being a bit more forward and the over all sound being a little leaner / thinner sounding.

I see. I have some poor recorded albums. They don't sound that good on my HD 650s. HD 650s are very revealing. They reveal the grain in voices that is not pleasing to hear.The sound is warm yet so revealing. I'm not used to such a revealing sound. I used to listen to earpods before. massive jump from earpods to the HD 650.

This is one reason why my HD-800, T1 and SR-009 don't get used much, if the recording is not great then these headphones are way to revealing and are hard to listen to for any length of time.

Oct 25, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #35,983 of 46,554
Does anyone's Valhalla 2 have ringing in some of the low treble notes?

I'm running Modi 1 > Valhalla 2 > HD 650. I'm at about 30 hours burn-in on the Vally 2. In some of the low trebles (maybe higher pitched male voices, or female voices) I hear almost this vibratory sibilance and it sounds a bit like metal ringing. Does this go away with more burn in?

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #35,984 of 46,554
Does anyone's Valhalla 2 have ringing in some of the low treble notes?

I'm running Modi 1 > Valhalla 2 > HD 650. I'm at about 30 hours burn-in on the Vally 2. In some of the low trebles (maybe higher pitched male voices, or female voices) I hear almost this vibratory sibilance and it sounds a bit like metal ringing. Does this go away with more burn in?

Never noticed it on mine and I listen to female vocals very often. Could be the tubes? I've also never owned the Modi 1. If you have another amp you could see if maybe the Dac is causing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back