Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 25, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #35,986 of 46,565
I agree 100%, but the elear has a couple negative traits that can be bothersome which is why it's not a clear upgrade over the 650. Personally, I'd love to have the 650s tonality with elear fit and finish.

The most appealing qualities of the HD650 are its tonality, smooth frequency response, and resolving capabilities. The Elear improves only on the last quality. Stock at least (haven't heard modded, but others speak highly of it) the Elear is deficient in the two more important qualities.

Cross-posting from HD600 thread:

If you listen to any music with violins, I'd avoid the Elear unless you're willing to try third-party pads and/or other mods. The midrange suckout on stock Elear makes such music sound ridiculous. I also dislike the treble presentation as it's nowhere near as smooth as the HD6x0.

Yellow = Elear; Blue = HD650; Purple = Ether Open. Source: [cannot be named, though using images from said source is somehow OK]

inner|fidelity measurements:
  1. http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FocalElear.pdf
  2. http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD600.pdf
  3. http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD650.pdf

For reference, I've owned the HD650 (stock --> modded) for about a year, the HD600 (stock) for about six months now, and kept the Elear for less than a week. My favorite things about the Elear were the comfort (though HD6x0 is not uncomfortable) and the super long cable.

Oct 25, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #35,987 of 46,565
I took my friend's HD 598 and compared them against my HD 650.
I think the grain on some recordings is pronounced more on the 650 than the 598. I don't know if it is the increased clarity or fuller mids. I find the 598s more forgiving. Does anyone have the same experience?

No. I can echo DavidA's response. The HD650 is definitely more forgiving than the HD598. The mids are (and should) definitely be more forward on the HD598 which makes it sound a bit better than the HD650 in some songs, but accentuates a bit too much on the rest imo.

What's source are you and your friend using? Did you test the exact same files too?

Oct 25, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #35,988 of 46,565
I really love the magic comming out the Master11 -> HD650..I'm missing that with my 2nd set-up dac19 -> V200 so I'm selling my Violectric and plan on orderinh a Feliks Elise.. Does anyone have another idea for around the same budget as the Elise?

Oct 25, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #35,989 of 46,565
  I remember reading a post from Jason.  A Vali 1 owner was mentioning how the Vali would ting when he tapped it.

Jason's recommendation to the owner.  Do not tap it...

i used to drive my 650 through a vali 1 and it did ting somtimes.

i prefer the sound of 650 straight from mojo, it replaced about 2k worth of desktop gear.

Oct 25, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #35,992 of 46,565
Can't imagine the Mojo being that great with the 650. It's not super powerful, and it is a little on the dark side itself. Anyway, whatever works.

Gordon, that limits file you have me makes the 650s sound amazing. Much better than the 650 preset with limits. 650 with full and rich subbass.... Wow

Oct 25, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #35,993 of 46,565
Can't imagine the Mojo being that great with the 650. It's not super powerful, and it is a little on the dark side itself. Anyway, whatever works.

Gordon, that limits file you have me makes the 650s sound amazing. Much better than the 650 preset with limits. 650 with full and rich subbass.... Wow

Agree with you about the Mojo, the few times that I tried a friends one it was a bit disappointing.  It a bit on the dark side and works great as a DAC for brighter headphones like the HD-800 but the amp section was not able to drive most of the headphones I tried with it.  The Hugo was quite a bit better even at 3 times the price IMO, almost as good as the Bimby/BH Crack pairing

Oct 25, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #35,994 of 46,565

Yup, you'll never go back to stock now. Glad you're enjoying the music.

Oct 25, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #35,995 of 46,565

why not? it sounds faster and more detailed compared to the schiit valhalla 2 or Burson soloist i had, enough volume to make my ears bleed. i also dont find the mojo to be dark at all just very smooth.

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #35,997 of 46,565
  Agree with you about the Mojo, the few times that I tried a friends one it was a bit disappointing.  It a bit on the dark side and works great as a DAC for brighter headphones like the HD-800 but the amp section was not able to drive most of the headphones I tried with it.  The Hugo was quite a bit better even at 3 times the price IMO, almost as good as the Bimby/BH Crack pairing

Mojo and Hugo have exact same power output power... 
confused_face.gif

Oct 26, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #36,000 of 46,565
So I ordered the 650 off eBay, now the waiting begins. Paid $375AUD ($288USD) with a $50 voucher for them so I think that's a pretty good deal. Just wondering how well my Sony UDA-1 will sound with them... I've heard someone say they sound good together and another say it's not good, guess I'll find out soon enough. But might sell it and get the Jot.

How much burn-in do these usually require before optimum?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back