Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 21, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #35,896 of 46,514
I am, actually. I'm thinking of snagging a Jotunheim to pair with it, then perhaps I'll rock a Mimby or somesuch down the road. 

Cool, I've got mine in a secondary system as a dac now. Picked up a Bifrost 4490 a while ago and love it in the main rig. Good luck with the Jotunheim and post your thoughts when you get it.

Oct 21, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #35,897 of 46,514
  Nevermind, I am a dumbass - figured it out.

JRMC isn't the most intuitive program out there but it is powerful once you get to know it.

Oct 21, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #35,898 of 46,514
On the topic of HD650 mods, my experience is you need to do "all" of them before the HD650 sounds its best. I did back foam removal, spider cage removal, and dynamat extreme damping, then had a listen. There was a bit of a midbass hump and some unevenness in the treble. Then, I totally removed the front foam. It was an improvement, as the sound opened up but there was a little treble harshness now. Finally, I did the coin hole mod, using a nickel. Ahh, perfect.

Oct 21, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #35,899 of 46,514
  On the topic of HD650 mods, my experience is you need to do "all" of them before the HD650 sounds its best. I did back foam removal, spider cage removal, and dynamat extreme damping, then had a listen. There was a bit of a midbass hump and some unevenness in the treble. Then, I totally removed the front foam. It was an improvement, as the sound opened up but there was a little treble harshness now. Finally, I did the coin hole mod, using a nickel. Ahh, perfect.

If I may ask, how was your Nhoord compared to the modded hd650? On that note, how close was the Nhoord to the sound of the brand it was trying to emulate?

Oct 21, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #35,900 of 46,514

If I may ask, how was your Nhoord compared to the modded hd650? On that note, how close was the Nhoord to the sound of the brand it was trying to emulate?

Well, the answer to that is "it depends." You see, the Nhoord with bowl pads is very much in the same vein as a Grado. I think some things it does really well is give you that engaging Grado-esque presentation but give you a more satisfying bass presence and at the same time, it has plenty of detail without any harshness. Now, with the Ear Zonk G-Cush equipped on it, it is less like a Grado and more like the HD6X0. It has a more intimate stage than the HD6X0, but overall tonality is reminiscent of the HD6X0. The treble detail is pretty similar too. The HD6X0 headphones are both "bigger" sounding, however, and I think will be more impressive sounding to most people.

Oct 21, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #35,901 of 46,514
  Well, the answer to that is "it depends."

Last question. Do you mind if I ask you how shouty the female vocal was on the Nhoord? Was the way they render female vocals close to that brand they are trying to emulate?

In your personal take, which one does vocals better (just in general (male,female,jazz,rock, etc), the modded-hd650, or the Nhoord?

Oct 21, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #35,902 of 46,514
  Last question. Do you mind if I ask you how shouty the female vocal was on the Nhoord? Was the way they render female vocals close to that brand they are trying to emulate?

In your personal take, which one does vocals better (just in general (male,female,jazz,rock, etc), the modded-hd650, or the Nhoord?

Give me a specific song so I get a better idea of what you are listening for.

Oct 21, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #35,903 of 46,514
I almost sold my HD650's on two occasions couple weeks ago.  It was only because the sale didn't fall through.  Finally got a tube amp and man I'm glad I didn't sell them.  I picked up the Project Horizon III and Modi Multibit.  I like it way better than the Oppo HA-1 I had.  Although HA-1 was great with planars it didn't drive the 650s as good as with this new setup.  That Mimby sure pulls out details.  650s have been sitting on the desk for a couple months now when I got the 700s and started using those.  Looks like it's back to 650s.

Oct 21, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #35,904 of 46,514
  Give me a specific song so I get a better idea of what you are listening for.

I... don't listen to English songs with female singers regularly a lot but for this talk, let's say.... something like Big Yellow Taxi by Joni Mitchell or Alison Krauss's When You Say Nothing At All or Christina Perri's A Thousand Years, I guess, would be good as far as examples goes.
Specific English language songs that I'm listening to in the regular, all of them are male vocalists apparently (wouldn't have noticed if you didn't ask, haha). Like this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqWcpEZ3GY0 I listen to pretty often.

In actuality, I listen to the cover of this particular band (The Blue Hearts) a lot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s07bqXuXF9U
Their songs are famous and covered by a lot of artists spanning a lot of genres (from the original rock, to pop, jazz, bossa nova, and back to rock again). Tried looking on Youtube for some of their covers.
This one is from a film and are supposed to be mediocre https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGQyHTFzero
This one is reggae https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHZ-ZTQKwCY 
This one is pop https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4AyWLF_JTg
This one is rock https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78TDI3W93lc

Basically everyone who've done the bands cover songs are shouty shouty because the original songs are pretty shouty (well, maybe the Bossa Nova version aren't but mostly the covers are shouty.

You don't really have to listen to the songs I listed to be quite honest, since it's in a foreign language. While I believe that while music transcend languages, I don't want to impose somebody else to listen to some songs in a different language for my sake. You can just use your songs for the assessment in general. Like, what's your take on how the Nhoord do vocals (esp. female) compared to that other brand, and compared to the hd650?

Oct 21, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #35,905 of 46,514
  I almost sold my HD650's on two occasions couple weeks ago.  It was only because the sale didn't fall through.  Finally got a tube amp and man I'm glad I didn't sell them.  I picked up the Project Horizon III and Modi Multibit.  I like it way better than the Oppo HA-1 I had.  Although HA-1 was great with planars it didn't drive the 650s as good as with this new setup.  That Mimby sure pulls out details.  650s have been sitting on the desk for a couple months now when I got the 700s and started using those.  Looks like it's back to 650s.

The Project Horizon has output power mosfets running in class A. Don't touch those heat sinks. Another good amp with the HD650 is the Project Ember. I have both, with the Horizon running with a 6DJ8 and the Ember running with a 6SN7. The Project Polaris is a good match with the Alpha Prime if you need a closed back hp also. I switch between all of them using a Schiit Modi multibit dac.

Oct 22, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #35,906 of 46,514

The Project Horizon has output power mosfets running in class A. Don't touch those heat sinks. Another good amp with the HD650 is the Project Ember. I have both, with the Horizon running with a 6DJ8 and the Ember running with a 6SN7. The Project Polaris is a good match with the Alpha Prime if you need a closed back hp also. I switch between all of them using a Schiit Modi multibit dac.

Haha yeah, the Oppo HA-1 I had got hot enough to cook eggs on it.  I kinda wish I got the Ember instead.  Biasing the tubes gets a little annoying.  Plus I can run lower ohm headphones also.

Oct 22, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #35,909 of 46,514

All those amp are fun sounding but not the best when it comes to clarity and articulation, i could compare with a lake people g109 and it has more resolution, neutrality to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back