Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 18, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #35,251 of 46,514
Just out of curiosity, has anyone here listened to the new Schiit Jotunheim balanced amp with their HD650s yet?  I'm reading positive impressions on the pairing.  I might get a chance to audition the amp, in two or three weeks....

Curious about this as well. Was trying to decide between Valhalla 2 and Joti to use exclusively with my HD650s. Decided to just pull the trigger on Valhalla 2 as I have no plans to change my cans and hoping the special synergy with V2/OTLs doesn't make me regret skipping Joti.

Part of me hopes people will chime in saying Joti is no "better" than Valhalla 2 with HD650s! (But perhaps a different flavor.) I've owned Valhalla 1 and Vali 1 before, both of which I enjoyed, but hoping V2 takes me to the next level. Once I've grown accustomed to the tubes will consider getting into rolling. But next step is likely upgrading to Modi Multibit from my current M2U.

Sep 18, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #35,252 of 46,514
Curious about this as well. Was trying to decide between Valhalla 2 and Joti to use exclusively with my HD650s. Decided to just pull the trigger on Valhalla 2 as I have no plans to change my cans and hoping the special synergy with V2/OTLs doesn't make me regret skipping Joti.

Part of me hopes people will chime in saying Joti is no "better" than Valhalla 2 with HD650s! (But perhaps a different flavor.) I've owned Valhalla 1 and Vali 1 before, both of which I enjoyed, but hoping V2 takes me to the next level. Once I've grown accustomed to the tubes will consider getting into rolling. But next step is likely upgrading to Modi Multibit from my current M2U.
Vahalla2 is very good with the 650's. Can't go wrong with that combo

Sep 18, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #35,253 of 46,514

Joti seems to be the preferred amp for the 650 (some are calling it an end game pairing) and the Val2 with the 800. I just sold Val2...excellent amp but is lacking with slam/bass.

Sep 19, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #35,254 of 46,514
Joti seems to be the preferred amp for the 650 (some are calling it an end game pairing) and the Val2 with the 800. I just sold Val2...excellent amp but is lacking with slam/bass.

I just ordered a Joti to try my HD650 balanced, my "local" (2,000km) store is waiting for more stock so I have time to buy a plug and get soldering.

Sep 19, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #35,255 of 46,514
Its encouraging to see these amps that are at least somewhat budget friendly hitting the market.  I was excited about the Headroom Standard Amp (which news of seems to have quieted down), and now the Schiit Jotunheim.  Exciting times for nut jobs like myself...

Sep 19, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #35,256 of 46,514
Did anybody else try the HD650 with the Neve RNHP? I have that combi since about two weeks and I am very happy with it. A nice step up from my Vali2.

Sep 19, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #35,257 of 46,514
I owned and loved my 650s for several years.  Used Blue Dragon cabling.  But once I did an A/B with the 800s, I knew it was over.  The difference is not subtle, at least to my ears.

That said, the 650s are a great earphone and, if I had not needed the cash to buy the 800s, I would still have them as a second pair!

Sep 19, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #35,258 of 46,514
I did the opposite. I had the HD800 for several years (2 of them actually) and moved back to the 600 and 650 after eventually deciding that the HD800 did not have enough of a full/fleshed out sound for me.
It wasn't that the HD800 was bright, tubes and cabling and running balanced took care of that, it just sounded like the images were sort of distant. The 6xx's are more engaging and I like this sound and feeling better.
Good luck!

Sep 19, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #35,259 of 46,514
I did the opposite. I had the 800 for several years (2 of them actually) and moved back to the 600 and 650 after eventually deciding that the HD800 did not have enough of a full/fleshed out sound for me.
It wasn't that the HD800 was bright, tubes and cabling and running balanced took care of that, it just sounded like the images were sort of distant. The 6xx's are more engaging and I like this sound and feeling better.
Good luck!

I completely agree with your experience. I tried the HD 800-S, and it didnt have that same intimacy you get with the HD 600/650. Things seemed much further away, and yeah that's the expansive soundstage the 800s give, but its too big IMO. 650s also sound more natural and real to life, as it follows the typical Harman and B&K curves quite well. I never tried the original HD 800, only the S model, but I assume they are practically the same when it comes to soundstage.

Sep 19, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #35,260 of 46,514
I think this shows nicely once more that "good or bad" is a lot about personal preferences and not an absolute science

one person prefers A, another one B ... and both think that the other product is the worst headphone on the world. OK, maybe not that drastic but you know what I mean (and I have seen comments like that) We just tend to lift our own opinion up to be the one and only truth for the whole world.

I am happy with my HD650 (and yes, I listened to a HD800 multiple times) ... but I will still add a second headphone to my lineup as I know that the HD650 can do some things great but not everything.

Sep 19, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #35,262 of 46,514
Hi I finally took the plunge and bought myself a set of HD 650s after reading all the reviews.

I currently own a pair of Westone W3, Alessandro MS1000, Momentum Wireless and Plantronics Backbeat Sense. Amp wise I own an Aune T1.

To finance the purchase of the HD650s I sold a pair of Grado Prestige 325i.

After a few days of listening to the HD650s im beginning to wonder if selling the Grados for these was such a good idea.

I don't want to go into too much detail but I frankly find the HD650s boring. I don't seem to be getting what everyone else does and the vocals almost seem dull compared to the Grados.

I'm not sure if it's the amp that's causing the issue as I read that the Aune T1 isn't the best for these cans. My source is an ibasso DX50 and ive even tried it through the portable Fiio E07 but I'm still not getting what everyone else seems to be.

Can anyone help me out, is it my amp or have I become accustomed to the grado sound signature?

If I can't find a solution I'll prob be putting these up for sale.

Help :)

Sep 19, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #35,264 of 46,514
Hi I finally took the plunge and bought myself a set of HD 650s after reading all the reviews.

I currently own a pair of Westone W3, Alessandro MS1000, Momentum Wireless and Plantronics Backbeat Sense. Amp wise I own an Aune T1.

To finance the purchase of the HD650s I sold a pair of Grado Prestige 325i.

After a few days of listening to the HD650s im beginning to wonder if selling the Grados for these was such a good idea.

I don't want to go into too much detail but I frankly find the HD650s boring. I don't seem to be getting what everyone else does and the vocals almost seem dull compared to the Grados.

I'm not sure if it's the amp that's causing the issue as I read that the Aune T1 isn't the best for these cans. My source is an ibasso DX50 and ive even tried it through the portable Fiio E07 but I'm still not getting what everyone else seems to be.

Can anyone help me out, is it my amp or have I become accustomed to the grado sound signature?

If I can't find a solution I'll prob be putting these up for sale.

Help :)

Probably a bit of both. Very, very different sound signatures between those two phones. I used to use a T1 and upgrading the amp made a huge difference with the 650's. What tube are you using?

Sep 19, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #35,265 of 46,514
Just the stock tube but I don't want to change my amp just for these cans if I'm being honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back