Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 12, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #34,936 of 46,564
#mylife
anytime I read OTL in my head it goes "hotel"-> "hotel california", I start hearing the guitar(yeah too bad now you do too, this is a chainmail curse^_^) -> for some messed up reason it digivolves in my brain into the gipsy kings version -> so of course I remember the big lebowsky, and I end up laughing my ass off watching Turturro doing this:

Aug 12, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #34,937 of 46,564
FiiO E18 to go with HD650, yay or nay?
I'm asking since the recommended impedance for the E18 is 16 to 150 ohm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by castleofargh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so FIIO advises against it and you already know that. what is the question?

The E18 manual says Suggested Headphone Impedance 16~300Ω 
the review
http://www.head-fi.org/t/696529/fiio-e18-review#post_10093776

says tested with AKG Q701, which although lower impedance requires twice the voltage to get to the same levels as HD650

just sayin'

Aug 13, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #34,938 of 46,564
  The E18 manual says Suggested Headphone Impedance 16~300Ω 
the review
http://www.head-fi.org/t/696529/fiio-e18-review#post_10093776

says tested with AKG Q701, which although lower impedance requires twice the voltage to get to the same levels as HD650

just sayin'

http://fiio.net/en/products/20/parameters

Their website says 16-150Ω.  Will the 650's work, ya probably, but it won't sound nearly as good as it should. 

Aug 13, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #34,939 of 46,564
Really enjoying my HD650's with the Gumby and the Mjolnir 2 (LISSTs at the moment). Have modded with dynamat and it really tightens up the sound - a lot more space between the notes and much less bleed of the bass into the midrange.

Aug 13, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #34,940 of 46,564
  Really enjoying my HD650's with the Gumby and the Mjolnir 2 (LISSTs at the moment). Have modded with dynamat and it really tightens up the sound - a lot more space between the notes and much less bleed of the bass into the midrange.

Well, that's a might fine setup you have there.  I'm thinking LISST would be the way to go for an HD650 anyways.  Maybe tubes for something that needs treble taming...

Aug 13, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #34,941 of 46,564
It's often said that the HD650 scales up well, but I feel it's even more extreme than that. The HD650 seems to be completely transformed with very high end amps and DACS, like an Apex Pinnacle amp, where it is on the level of (and for me can be above) multi-thousand-dollar headphones. It is extremely expressive along with being non-fatiguing, especially in the upper mids with vocals that can be shrill and fatiguing with many DACS that, by nature, are too revealing. None of those ringing highs to be heard. It can be the king of tonality. It's truly amazing for $500.

The HD650 is not only not out of place, but can be just the ticket in a really megabuck system. I would like to hear someone's impression with a Chord Dave, for instance.

Aug 14, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #34,942 of 46,564
It's often said that the HD650 scales up well, but I feel it's even more extreme than that. The HD650 seems to be completely transformed with very high end amps and DACS, like an Apex Pinnacle amp, where it is on the level of (and for me can be above) multi-thousand-dollar headphones. It is extremely expressive along with being non-fatiguing, especially in the upper mids with vocals that can be shrill and fatiguing with many DACS that, by nature, are too revealing. None of those ringing highs to be heard. It can be the king of tonality. It's truly amazing for $500.

The HD650 is not only not out of place, but can be just the ticket in a really megabuck system. I would like to hear someone's impression with a Chord Dave, for instance.

The reason many of us here have not upgraded and instead upgrade our other gear in the chain. Still no real successor to the hd650. The Elear and Flow are still too new so the verdict is still out on them. Though some recent measurements on the Elear is making it look less and less like a super 650.

Aug 14, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #34,944 of 46,564
Totally agree w/ mysticstryk.
I get skeptical when I hear that a mag-planar is an HD650 substitute.
Somehow I just reckon that there is an intrinsic difference between a conventional driver vs. planar/electrostatic. As good as a planar/stat can be, I don't think it could be mistaken for a regular dynamic. It's hard to describe, but there is a direct sound to a dynamic and a floaty come-from-somewhere-out-there sound to a planar. Which is better is debatable. 
I don't even know if it can be measured.
Superficially, there maybe be similarities in frequency response or detail or dynamics, but it's just a different flavor, and never the twain shall meet.
Do people agree here?

[And just to add, there is certain tangible substance to the HD650 images that is special and unique. I can really sink my teeth into those fulsome musical objects.]

Aug 14, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #34,947 of 46,564
It depends. If you want to make it more vibrant and add control and detail to the bass, a Moon Silver Dragon is great.
If you want deeper, resonant bass and want to calm down any digital nastiness in upper mids, vocal, or highs (from your recordings or a too-lively DAC), try a Toxic Black Widow (copper), which sounds like a big  improvement of the stock cable in every way w/o altering the tonal balance.
[edit: Black Widow is the correct name of the cable I'm familiar with]

Aug 14, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #34,948 of 46,564
It depends. If you want to make it more vibrant and add control and detail to the bass, a Moon Silver Dragon is great.
If you want deeper, resonant bass and want to calm down any digital nastiness in upper mids, vocal, or highs (from your recordings or a too-lively DAC), try a Toxic Copper Venom, which sounds like a big  improvement of the stock cable in every way w/o altering the tonal balance.
I'm on the Toxic site but can't find cables for the hd 650s. Do you have a link?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back