Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 20, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #33,646 of 46,518

Not that easy IMO. Imagine trying to squash a greasy pea flat though a silicone implant (weird image, I know). Plus the clamp tightens with the hm5 pads a bit. 

I have some HM5 velour pads, but no silicone implant - will that be easier or not; bearing in mind that my greasy pea is quite mushy?

Apr 20, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #33,647 of 46,518
^^ Oh no. What have I started? Sorry guys, that was the only way to describe the procedure accurately. 
redface.gif

Apr 20, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #33,648 of 46,518
I've gone back and fourth for quite some time listening to both the HD650's and HE400's with my Schiit Magni and Modi stack. I thought both sounded equally good with different genre's, the HE400's with more bass heavy stuff (EDM, some hip hop)  and the HD650's with more vocal music (some hip hop, rock, blues)

After upgrading from the Magni to the Asgard 2 I'm finding a bigger difference in the sound quality between the HE400 and HD650's. The HD650's sound far more smooth then before and the high frequencies on the HE400 sound a lot more hollow. The HE400 already has a very harsh treble before eq'ing (something they are known well for) but the whole upper frequencies have now started to sound far less involving then the HD650 with the Asgard. The bass punch is still harder on the HE400's, but I feel like the Asgard puts the HD650's up another level above the HE400 now. The sound stage, seperation, clarity, and overall smoothness of the entire presentation is really exceeding the HE400 now. Even the bass sounds better to me, more detailed and bit less boomy. 

I can see how people say the HD650 is one of the best scaling headphones out there, I definitely feel like it's a league above the HE400's now.

Apr 20, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #33,649 of 46,518
  I've gone back and fourth for quite some time listening to both the HD650's and HE400's with my Schiit Magni and Modi stack. I thought both sounded equally good with different genre's, the HE400's with more bass heavy stuff (EDM, some hip hop)  and the HD650's with more vocal music (some hip hop, rock, blues)

After upgrading from the Magni to the Asgard 2 I'm finding a bigger difference in the sound quality between the HE400 and HD650's. The HD650's sound far more smooth then before and the high frequencies on the HE400 sound a lot more hollow. The HE400 already has a very harsh treble before eq'ing (something they are known well for) but the whole upper frequencies have now started to sound far less involving then the HD650 with the Asgard. The bass punch is still harder on the HE400's, but I feel like the Asgard puts the HD650's up another level above the HE400 now. The sound stage, seperation, clarity, and overall smoothness of the entire presentation is really exceeding the HE400 now. Even the bass sounds better to me, more detailed and bit less boomy. 

I can see how people say the HD650 is one of the best scaling headphones out there, I definitely feel like it's a league above the HE400's now.

It sure scales hard. Getting a bottlehead crack made my HD650 so smooth and musical and bassy, then I modded my HD650 and it became a detailed headphone,
then upgrading into the Torpedo III made it super detailed with wider sound stage, my HD650 through my chain sounds like an HD850 now.

I heard and compared all the flagships at Canjam to my modded HD650 besides the HE-1060 wasn't there sadly. I have almost no interest in other headphones now besides the hifiman HE-6.

Apr 20, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #33,650 of 46,518

It sure scales hard. Getting a bottlehead crack made my HD650 so smooth and musical and bassy, then I modded my HD650 and it became this super detailed headphone,
then upgrading into the Torpedo III made it super detailed with wider sound stage, my HD650 through my chain sounds like an HD850 now.

I heard and compared all the flagships at Canjam to my modded HD650 besides the HE-1060 wasn't there sadly. I have almost no interest in other headphones now besides the hifiman HE-6.

Hi there.

Would you share the photos about the process of your Modded HD650?

Apr 20, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #33,652 of 46,518

Welcome to the sometimes crazy world of audio, what you are finding is how synergy between equipment, DAC, amp and headphone play a role in the sound.  Also, variety is a good thing and finding and using the right tool for the job

Apr 21, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #33,654 of 46,518
  Hi, I'd like to ask, is it good hd650 pairing with mojo?
I'm planning to get mojo to drive my hd650.
thank you

I tried the mojo out last week with the 650 and found it to be a good pairing for portable use. The mojo is clean and dynamic which seems to bring out a lot of the good stuff with the 650. 

Apr 21, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #33,659 of 46,518

I can definitely agree with you.... I must say I was very unconvinced about the quality of sound in my hd650 and kept wondering what people meant when they said it was a match to some TOTL cans when driven well. I definitely thought it was way behind my LCD 2.2 for a long time in clarity and openness. I had stopped using it and almost sold it but I am glad I kept it since it is now back to the forefront and the LCD 2.2 has taken a back seat.

I initially used the hd650 with a portable Arrow 5p - I can retrospectively say that this is a non starter really for this can but gets the LCD to produce some very nice bass
Schiit Lyr(SQ gold pin and 74 reflector tubes) - drove the hd650 to a nice smooth full sound but lacked ultimate detail with both cans and was too dark 
Mjolnir 2(same tubes as the Lyr) - very powerful, good detail but somehow the bass disappeared for both cans and especially the LCD(was too bright) so had to let it go....
My current setup is Geek pulse XFI DAC and a second hand  Headroom BUDA amp - I can now say that finally the 650 sings beautifully to my taste, very detailed, finally open sound(no "veil") with good bass and treble. It now honestly rivals the LCD 2 apart from the bass department where the Audeze takes the price. The comfort of the hd650 seems to be winning over the bass of the Audeze for me and it is now again my favoured can(I can't believe I am saying this after I had thrown it in the archives). 

The LCD doesn't change the sound as much with all that gear but the 650 has surprised me with how different it sounds with all those combos.....

Apr 21, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #33,660 of 46,518
  I can definitely agree with you.... I must say I was very unconvinced about the quality of sound in my hd650 and kept wondering what people meant when they said it was a match to some TOTL cans when driven well. I definitely thought it was way behind my LCD 2.2 for a long time in clarity and openness. I had stopped using it and almost sold it but I am glad I kept it since it is now back to the forefront and the LCD 2.2 has taken a back seat.

I initially used the hd650 with a portable Arrow 5p - I can retrospectively say that this is a non starter really for this can but gets the LCD to produce some very nice bass
Schiit Lyr(SQ gold pin and 74 reflector tubes) - drove the hd650 to a nice smooth full sound but lacked ultimate detail with both cans and was too dark 
Mjolnir 2(same tubes as the Lyr) - very powerful, good detail but somehow the bass disappeared for both cans and especially the LCD(was too bright) so had to let it go....
My current setup is Geek pulse XFI DAC and a second hand  Headroom BUDA amp - I can now say that finally the 650 sings beautifully to my taste, very detailed, finally open sound(no "veil") with good bass and treble. It now honestly rivals the LCD 2 apart from the bass department where the Audeze takes the price. The comfort of the hd650 seems to be winning over the bass of the Audeze for me and it is now again my favoured can(I can't believe I am saying this after I had thrown it in the archives). 

The LCD doesn't change the sound as much with all that gear but the 650 has surprised me with how different it sounds with all those combos.....

I hear ya! I was actually considering selling my HD650's along with some other gear so that I could get some cash and put it towards an LCD2. I've since changed my mind though, no longer interested in selling the HD650's, they sound so good with the right set up that the LCD doesn't feel like enough of an upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back