Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 4, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #33,061 of 46,533
If I don't like a HP because it's too "bright", I sell it.

Manufacturers "tune" their HPs to have different sound profiles, imo. I don't believe the HD800's perceived "brightness" is a flaw or weakness. It is what it is. imo.

As for EQ-ing, I stay away from it. It just defeats my enjoyment of musical performance diversity. That's why I have 21 versions of Beethoven's 7th symphony -- I like to hear the brightness of the brass with some orchs/conductors who emphasize the brass section, and also the lushness of the basses in recs where the conductor chooses to emphasize that part of the symphony (not to mention the recording engineers' prefs). I also enjoy my humble collection of HPs which really have different sound profiles relative to each other. Eq-ing just doesn't satisfy my need for hearing recordings the way they were done, and for experiencing HPs the way they were designed. No HP is "perfect" for everyone, that's obvious. But I think EQ-ing and filtering, for me, defeat the definition and main goal of high performance audio. They just compromise, almost always, one part of the freq balance while boosting another.

Just my 2 cents' worth.

Mar 4, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #33,062 of 46,533

Manufacturers "tune" their HPs to have different sound profiles, imo. I don't believe the HD800's perceived "brightness" is a flaw or weakness. It is what it is. imo.

As for EQ-ing, I stay away from it. It just defeats my enjoyment of musical performance diversity. That's why I have 21 versions of Beethoven's 7th symphony -- I like to hear the brightness of the brass with some orchs/conductors who emphasize the brass section, and also the lushness of the basses in recs where the conductor chooses to emphasize that part of the symphony (not to mention the recording engineers' prefs). I also enjoy my humble collection of HPs which really have different sound profiles relative to each other. Eq-ing just doesn't satisfy my need for hearing recordings the way they were done, and for experiencing HPs the way they were designed. No HP is "perfect" for everyone, that's obvious. But I think EQ-ing and filtering, for me, defeat the definition and main goal of high performance audio. They just compromise, almost always, one part of the freq balance while boosting another.

Just my 2 cents' worth.

I feel the same way about eq'ing it just adds distortion (phase alteration) to the sound. I prefer to use a different headphone than to eq.

Mar 4, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #33,063 of 46,533
I still have my first ever headphones, the Sennheiser HD414 (white, not black) which I bought as a teenager in the early/mid 1970's in Germany. Apparently the 414's were the worlds first open back headphones and are the worlds best selling headphone. I listen to them occasionally but reading this thread inspired me to plug them into my Lake People G109S (fed by Schiit Bifrost MB). Thankfully the G109S has tons of clean power as the 414's need lots of juice. Anyway these babies sound very good indeed! I need to put these into circulation again. The only thing I've replaced on them are the foam ear pads (several times over the years).

Good for you. Always go back to older gear. Newer isn't always better, and you will almost always be surprised at the performance of your vintage gear.

Mar 4, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #33,064 of 46,533
@CanadianMaestro, I never liked using EQ either, probably why I like and have so many different headphones
biggrin.gif
 Like you say, "it is what it is"

Mar 4, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #33,065 of 46,533

Good for you. Always go back to older gear. Newer isn't always better, and you will almost always be surprised at the performance of your vintage gear.

Definitely agree, newer isn't always better. Some of the vintage headphones are surprisingly good. I also don't like EQ as I found it does induce distortion, I rather tinker with pad-rolling and dampening before eq'ing. My experience with vintage gear is that it often sounds more organic than modern gear. 

Mar 4, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #33,066 of 46,533
Any fellow HD650 owners the headphone collector type? Looking for some more mid-fi cans to add to my collection just so I can have some different sound signatures when I feel like it. My current set is pretty diverse in my opinion and the LCD-2 is kinda my flagship headphone lol (though the 650 gets more head time). I sold an HE-500 it just wasnt much different from the LCD-2 in my mind or rather it couldn't get any head time over it :frowning2:. My AD700 broke (left driver) and my M50's wire got frayed from too much portable use. But right now I just don't know of any sub-500 cans to go in my collection...

Mar 4, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #33,067 of 46,533
Well I am an HD 650 owner now. Fresh out of the box my HD 600 sounds better than my HD 650, the 650 seems to have bloated bass and muds the sound a bit. I'll wait and see how the 650's sound with burn in.

Mar 4, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #33,070 of 46,533

Just my 2 cents' worth.

I am also in this camp....I use to EQ a little, but it was almost never adding to the frequency, but I never EQ anymore.....I want to hear what the tubes are telling me   
tongue.gif

I am also a Grado lover, so when I hear people say the HD800 is bright...I just smile

Mar 4, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #33,071 of 46,533
(Stax SRS-2170) It's a system, with a decent amp. Sounds great with Gumby.

I would recommend it for the price point to anyone who enjoys the 650's, but is looking to try the Stax sound. It's intimate, it's ethereal... engaging in a different way. I enjoy it, whereas I couldn't enjoy LCD's much. Plenty of details, nuances and maybe different texture presentation than the 650's. Ultimately, the 650's are much better value, but I like the Stax enough to keep it around. I may even sell the 800's and just keep the 650's and the Stax. Just have to try those cork mods with the 800's. If only I had ears that could tolerate treble better...

Mar 4, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #33,072 of 46,533
It's a system, with a decent amp. Sounds great with Gumby.

Ah, I remember this thing now. I was wondering about it awhile ago when I was gonna buy my LCD-2. That and the Koss Stat but the amount of complaints about build quality was a HUGE turnoff. I don't care if it has a lifetime warranty, I have no desire to send my headphone in every few months to a year for a tune up <_<

Mar 4, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #33,073 of 46,533
  I am also in this camp....I use to EQ a little, but it was almost never adding to the frequency, but I never EQ anymore.....I want to hear what the tubes are telling me   
tongue.gif

I am also a Grado lover, so when I hear people say the HD800 is bright...I just smile

I kinda like the Grado sound every time I hear it. I keep contemplating picking up one of the cheaper pairs. I see you own the 225i though, have you heard the 325i or 325e? If so how do you think they compare? My friend owns the i version but frankly, I wouldn't pay $300 for it. Then again, I've never heard it across a decent amp pairing (my last one was an awful pairing) and his sound card is just so so. If the 225 is similar enough I might just hop aboard the grado train. And I always see grados selling pretty cheap on the forums.

Mar 4, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #33,074 of 46,533
Just received my pair of HD 650 and wow they sound great!!! Coming from the new Hifiman's 400S I think these are better.  Dont get me wrong I think are pretty good in their own element, but for my taste of sound....oh boy they are just the right prescription!  I cant understand the veiled reputation to me they sound just right, although I have the new version which some people have stated that are more clearer than the originals.  I think I will be quite happy at this level for a while, still no direction of where I would go next, till then I will enjoy comfortably my HD650's. 

Mar 4, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #33,075 of 46,533

tongue.gif

I kinda like the Grado sound every time I hear it. I keep contemplating picking up one of the cheaper pairs. I see you own the 225i though, have you heard the 325i or 325e? If so how do you think they compare? My friend owns the i version but frankly, I wouldn't pay $300 for it. Then again, I've never heard it across a decent amp pairing (my last one was an awful pairing) and his sound card is just so so. If the 225 is similar enough I might just hop aboard the grado train. And I always see grados selling pretty cheap on the forums.

225 are a great bang for the buck, heck the SR60 or 80 are fun cans.

I have heard the  60i....225i.....325is......RS1i....G1000

Rs1i is my favorite out of these....but the 225i is scratching my Grado itch for the time being.

The 325 is a better made headphone....metal cups, leather headband......The five that i have listed here, are all true to the Grado sound signature...maybe grab a 60 or 80 and see how you like them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back