Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 3, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #33,031 of 46,554
  @catscratch^ Having a pair of HP for > a decade is probably a record, what with all the temptations to sell/"upgrade" floating around. Well done.  Meow. 
wink.gif

I've had my Stax SRD-34 since 1981 and Sennheiser HD-455 since 1983, both still work and I still use the SRD-34 once a week or so, still has a unique sound that none of my other headphones can match.  I had to do some repairs on them but they still function quite well.

Mar 3, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #33,032 of 46,554
  I've had my Stax SRD-34 since 1981 and Sennheiser HD-455 since 1983, both still work and I still use the SRD-34 once a week or so, still has a unique sound that none of my other headphones can match.  I had to do some repairs on them but they still function quite well.

Fabulous, man. Can you wear them surfing on the water?

jk

Mar 3, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #33,033 of 46,554
tongue.gif
I wish.  They had a easy life as they were in my office at work for 28 years and were not subjected to much.  I've gone thru 3 sets of Stax ear pads ($60+shipping each time) which add up to more that the headphones themselves, finally got smart and found some substitute $8 ear pads that do a better job.  They are fairly close in sound signature to HD-650 but have the highs like most Stax/electrostatics and bass that is more like a cross between TH-600 and HE-400, low like the Th-600 but tighter and well defined, some what like the HE-400.  Only problem with them is that you need a speaker amp to drive them, been using my Teac AH-01 but used to use my SAE-X10A (amp) / Nakamichi CA-5 (pre-amp) at work since I wasn't paying for electricity.

Mar 3, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #33,034 of 46,554
^ I don't have the lux of using HPs at my lab; enough fun there with electrophysiology and live recs of neurons and synapses! Evenings are good, though. 
tongue.gif

Mar 3, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #33,035 of 46,554
Hello , after i have read so many things about the sennheiser HD 650 i fianlly decided on buying a pair so along with them i also have to buy a dac and an amplifier .Do you guys think a tube amp like valhalla 2 + modi 2 from schiit would be a good combo with the 650s ? people say valhalla is over-hyped and others say its a very good amp so i am quite confused (i have also heard that hd 650s love tube amps so that would be a +)

Mar 3, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #33,036 of 46,554
  Hello , after i have read so many things about the sennheiser HD 650 i fianlly decided on buying a pair so along with them i also have to buy a dac and an amplifier .Do you guys think a tube amp like valhalla 2 + modi 2 from schiit would be a good combo with the 650s ? people say valhalla is over-hyped and others say its a very good amp so i am quite confused (i have also heard that hd 650s love tube amps so that would be a +)

I would say pretty good combo. 

Mar 3, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #33,038 of 46,554

I have the HD525 from 1998 and they're still working well. Top headband pads had disintegrated but the earpads are still in shape. It could be because of the light clamp.

Mar 3, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #33,040 of 46,554
Looks like Sennheiser makes some durable headphones
beerchug.gif

@enouGh, sorry for the short response earlier, my girlfriend was bugging me to cook some finger food for her and her girlfriends, they're all passed out drunk so I can give you a better response:

I've only heard the Valhalla2 a few times but I do still have a Modi2uber.  I own a Lyr2 and Asgard2 and for the price I think they are good, I think my Ember is a slightly better amp due to it being more flexible and my BH Crack is about as good a amp for the HD-650 for under $500.  I think if you search the thread you will find that there was a lot of talk of the Valhalla2 and sometimes those that have commented don't like to repeat themselves to often.  If you can stretch your budget for the new 4490 Bifrost I think it will be a much better DAC over the long run and something that is upgradeable where the Modi2 is not.

If I were just starting out I would go with the Ember, mainly because it works well with the HD-650 (many on this thread have them along with a few other Garage 1217 amps) and it is still flexible enough to drive planars like my HE-400i and LCD-2, it has adjustable output resistance/impedance and is a tube rollers dream.  But if you are only going to have the HD-650 then I would go with a BH Crack.  Also, the Ember only needs one tube while the Valhalla2 needs match pairs for both driver and power, gets pricy quickly as I've found out with my Lyr2 and that's only rolling the driver tubes.

Mar 3, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #33,041 of 46,554
  Looks like Sennheiser makes some durable headphones
beerchug.gif

@enouGh, sorry for the short response earlier, my girlfriend was bugging me to cook some finger food for her and her girlfriends, they're all passed out drunk so I can give you a better response:

I've only heard the Valhalla2 a few times but I do still have a Modi2uber.  I own a Lyr2 and Asgard2 and for the price I think they are good, I think my Ember is a slightly better amp due to it being more flexible and my BH Crack is about as good a amp for the HD-650 for under $500.  I think if you search the thread you will find that there was a lot of talk of the Valhalla2 and sometimes those that have commented don't like to repeat themselves to often.  If you can stretch your budget for the new 4490 Bifrost I think it will be a much better DAC over the long run and something that is upgradeable where the Modi2 is not.

If I were just starting out I would go with the Ember, mainly because it works well with the HD-650 (many on this thread have them along with a few other Garage 1217 amps) and it is still flexible enough to drive planars like my HE-400i and LCD-2, it has adjustable output resistance/impedance and is a tube rollers dream.  But if you are only going to have the HD-650 then I would go with a BH Crack.  Also, the Ember only needs one tube while the Valhalla2 needs match pairs for both driver and power, gets pricy quickly as I've found out with my Lyr2 and that's only rolling the driver tubes.

Hey again thanks for you detailed reply , probably for the next 1/2 year or so untill my wallet recovers from the shock i will have the hd 650s as my main driver and i plan on trying beyerdynamics 880/990  and some other brands afterwards . As for stretching the budget im afraid i cant go as expensive as ember or bifrost since i already have to pay 100$ for shipping alone so i will have to read more about valhalla 2 and modi 2, besides my years are not experienced enough to hear the diference between an entry level dac and a medium-high level one .

Mar 3, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #33,042 of 46,554

I'm not hearing as big of a difference with Sonarworks as some, perhaps because I noticed a huge difference running the HD650 balanced to the Cavalli Liquid Carbon recently.  I do like the program and ended up buying it and haven't gone back to not using Sonarworks so perhaps I would then notice a bigger difference..

I got a free extra license from Sonarworks when I purchased mine.  First one to PM me gets it for free.

Depends on the headphones you're using. The more accurate they are in stock form, the less difference it's gonna make when you use the compensation curves. I don't hear much difference with HD600's or HD650's either. But when using DT770's or especially DT990's, the difference in sound signature is massive.

Mar 3, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #33,043 of 46,554
So my old HD650 died. I replaced it with... another HD650. There's really nothing quite like these headphones out there.

They're the perfect day-to-day headphone in so many ways. Because they're warm and smooth, there's no long-term listener fatigue. But because they're clear and detailed, you don't need to crank them up to hear everything. They're comfy enough to wear all day, forgiving enough where compressed audio over youtube isn't a problem, but also resolving enough to warrant quality sources. Plus, they're also inexpensive enough where you aren't worried about putting wear and tear on them. I don't relish the thought of dropping the Stax 007 onto a hardwood floor, but with the HD650 I don't have to worry about it. Plus, it's built really well, and is modular, so when you do wear stuff out you can just replace it piecemeal.

Someone asked about HD600 vs HD650. The HD650 is more technically competent. There's more detail, and its imaging and soundstaging abilities are better. The 600 is more neutral though, and the extra presence in the highs makes it a bit more punchy and dynamic, at least on initial listen. I prefer the HD650, but if you want something more neutral you'll probably like the HD600. Though I do have to add the disclaimer that my HD600 is the old version with the black cloth screens. I don't know if there's any actual difference between that and the new version with the silver screens, but people say the new version sounds brighter.

I'm gonna build a Bottlehead Crack for these, just as a nice, easy way to get into DIY. The ultimate plan is to build more and more complicated gear and eventually work my way up to building a Stax T2 or equivalent amp for the 007, but for now something simple for the HD650 will suffice.

And yes, they clamp like a person when new, but they'll relent in a few weeks. Don't muscle the headband around, or you'll crack the plastic.

The difference between your HD 600 and HD 650 is very small? I can get a brand new HD 600 for only $280 so that's why I'm thinking about it.

Mar 3, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #33,044 of 46,554

The difference between your HD 600 and HD 650 is very small? I can get a brand new HD 600 for only $280 so that's why I'm thinking about it.

$280 is cheap... the 650's were regularly going on sale a couple of years ago in the $300-$350 range as well. Just something to keep in mind if you're purchasing a second hand 650. New pads from Sennheiser are also less than $50 US shipped.

Mar 3, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #33,045 of 46,554

I had the new HD 600 and new HD 650 at the same time for many months, the difference was small yet not at the same time, but it depends on what is considered small. The HD 600 was slower(can get a little confused while the HD 650 doesn't really), more intimate, and a bit more blurred(less precise imaging) sounding than the HD 650. I found the HD 600 more mid-oriented than the HD 650 with more organic sounding vocals. I did prefer the overall tuning of the HD 600 over the HD 650 but the slight/moderate downgrade in fidelity, speed, and refinement made me feel mixed about them compared to the HD 650. If fidelity was the same, I would of taken the HD 600 over the HD 650. May give the HD 600 another chance in the future though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back