Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 2, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #33,016 of 46,554

I'm not hearing as big of a difference with Sonarworks as some, perhaps because I noticed a huge difference running the HD650 balanced to the Cavalli Liquid Carbon recently.  I do like the program and ended up buying it and haven't gone back to not using Sonarworks so perhaps I would then notice a bigger difference..

I got a free extra license from Sonarworks when I purchased mine.  First one to PM me gets it for free.

Free license is now gone.

Mar 2, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #33,017 of 46,554
  Violin test... fiddle test... string test.... uhh yep, they still work.
720p is ok, but the CD qual version is pretty damn nice. 

( snip: link to Beasts of the Southern Wild soundtrack ) 

pluck pluck pluck pluck pluck pluck... pluck... pluck

Thanks for posting this link. I'd seen this movie, but not paid enough attention to the soundtrack. Listening to it now via Tidal with the HD650s. Sounds great and I can already tell it's going to get a lot of play in this household. Much appreciated. 

A few days in to testing vs the HD700s, I'm pretty sure I could live happily with either. HD700s have shown a little more air and separation around instruments, which I like. HD650s are very romantic, but not at all muffled or veiled to my ears. Comfort still goes to HD700.

Mar 2, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #33,018 of 46,554
I'm not hearing as big of a difference with Sonarworks as some, perhaps because I noticed a huge difference running the HD650 balanced to the Cavalli Liquid Carbon recently.  I do like the program and ended up buying it and haven't gone back to not using Sonarworks so perhaps I would then notice a bigger difference..

I got a free extra license from Sonarworks when I purchased mine.  First one to PM me gets it for free.

Funny you mentioned that. I heard much the same from someone else on another forum who tried Sonarworks with the HD650. Perhaps it's to do with the recordings that you have? You ought to notice a deeper bass, but he said rhe same. Couldn't detect it ...... :frowning2:

Mar 2, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #33,019 of 46,554
Funny you mentioned that. I heard much the same from someone else on another forum who tried Sonarworks with the HD650. Perhaps it's to do with the recordings that you have? You ought to notice a deeper bass, but he said rhe same. Couldn't detect it ......
frown.gif

I do notice it, especially with the 'No Limits' curve.  It's just not as dramatic for me as some, or instantaneous as when I manually tweak the bass more on Sonarworks or "Simulate" another headphone curve on Sonarworks.  Some say it's not very noticeable for the HD650 until you spend some time listening with Sonarworks and then switch back... Could have something to with the recordings I've used so far.  I got a deeper bass when I started using the Cavalli Liquid Carbon amp (balanced) so that could also explain why Sonarworks isnt as dramatic for me.  I do like the program, enough to buy it.

Mar 2, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #33,024 of 46,554
I find the hd650 delivers more detail in the midrange where vocals happen. Probably due to the more intimate soundstage, which is exactly why I love them so much! :) Beyers definitely sounds like they have more details in the upper range though.

Mar 3, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #33,025 of 46,554
  I own Beyer880 and l like the level of detail they provide. Do you guys think HD650 will be an upgrade for my DT880? 

Depends on what you are looking for, another thing to consider is what you will be listening to, amp used, and the type of sound that you like such as warm, dark, bright, etc.  You say you like the detail of the DT-880 but what about the bass, mids, and highs?  Knowing this I think you can get a good recommendation from those on these threads.

I've only heard the DT-880 a few times and I agree with @EinZweiDrei, the HD-650 would be a side grade to a different sound signature.

I love the HD-650 and it is one of the best headphones for being versatile with many genres of music, forgiving of sub par recordings and being able to scale a lot with better gear.  Another way to look at it is many ask how does another headphone compare to the HD-650, the HD-650 has been around for a long time and its still a very popular one, many have owned it more that once.

Mar 3, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #33,026 of 46,554

They were running a 20% off discount last month. I had purchased the program less than a week before they advertised the discount. After complaining to them, they refunded the 20% back to me.

Mar 3, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #33,027 of 46,554
So my old HD650 died. I replaced it with... another HD650. There's really nothing quite like these headphones out there.

They're the perfect day-to-day headphone in so many ways. Because they're warm and smooth, there's no long-term listener fatigue. But because they're clear and detailed, you don't need to crank them up to hear everything. They're comfy enough to wear all day, forgiving enough where compressed audio over youtube isn't a problem, but also resolving enough to warrant quality sources. Plus, they're also inexpensive enough where you aren't worried about putting wear and tear on them. I don't relish the thought of dropping the Stax 007 onto a hardwood floor, but with the HD650 I don't have to worry about it. Plus, it's built really well, and is modular, so when you do wear stuff out you can just replace it piecemeal.

Someone asked about HD600 vs HD650. The HD650 is more technically competent. There's more detail, and its imaging and soundstaging abilities are better. The 600 is more neutral though, and the extra presence in the highs makes it a bit more punchy and dynamic, at least on initial listen. I prefer the HD650, but if you want something more neutral you'll probably like the HD600. Though I do have to add the disclaimer that my HD600 is the old version with the black cloth screens. I don't know if there's any actual difference between that and the new version with the silver screens, but people say the new version sounds brighter.

I'm gonna build a Bottlehead Crack for these, just as a nice, easy way to get into DIY. The ultimate plan is to build more and more complicated gear and eventually work my way up to building a Stax T2 or equivalent amp for the 007, but for now something simple for the HD650 will suffice.

And yes, they clamp like a person when new, but they'll relent in a few weeks. Don't muscle the headband around, or you'll crack the plastic.

Mar 3, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #33,029 of 46,554
It was just regular wear and tear. I don't remember how long I had them for but it must have been the better part of a decade. Eventually the left channel started going out, plus one earcup attachment cracked when I stepped on it, the grilles got dented, and all the foam bits were thoroughly worn out.

I got my money's worth out of them though so I'm not complaining. They lasted through years and years of daily use and abuse and never put a foot wrong. Until, um, I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back