Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 24, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #32,838 of 46,503
  Between the Valhalla 2 and Lyr 2, which is the better pairing for the hd650?  Is the difference large?

Valhalla2 would be a slightly better pairing with the HD-650.  I've only listen to the Valhalla2 twice but with the HD-650 it was good, almost as good as the BH Crack and WA3 to me.  As for difference between Valhalla2 and Lyr2, there wasn't much difference with my HD-650/600 but this is also partly tube dependent.  If are also looking to drive your HE-400i then the Lyr2 would be a better choice.

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:25 AM Post #32,840 of 46,503
So basically either one would be an awesome upgrade to my Vali 2 then it seems.  I'll probably go Valhalla 2 then, as my hd650 gets most of my head time.  Plus I will end up picking up a SS amp like the Asgard 2 down the line anyways.

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #32,842 of 46,503
Now that's a real ROTFLMAO.
And true!  My system always gets one of those  "parting of the waters" improvements after I smoke a little weed. 

Many years ago I worked in a high-end hi-fi shop. Every couple of weeks we'd do demo evenings for certain 'select' customers. A smoke worked wonders. The best system I ever heard was during one of those nights. A Systemdek turntable, SME arm & Koetsu cartridge hooked up to a Luxman pre-amp. Power amps were Luxman too and driving two pairs of Quad ESL 57's (at right-angles to each other, I kid you not). That system was incredible, the best imaging I've ever heard.

Sorry, back to headphones.

Feb 24, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #32,843 of 46,503

Burson Audio are currently selling off their old stock to make way for newer models.

Just opened this bad boy, holy CRAP.

Cant wait to see what it sounds like after a couple hrs...

http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/product/burson-audio-conductor-virtuoso-es9018-dacpreheadphone-amp

Feb 24, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #32,847 of 46,503

Burson Audio are currently selling off their old stock to make way for newer models.

Just opened this bad boy, holy CRAP.

Curious: Is Burson still using the stepped attenuators on the new models?

I hated them. Prefer a smooth pot vol knob.

Feb 24, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #32,848 of 46,503
  So basically either one would be an awesome upgrade to my Vali 2 then it seems.  I'll probably go Valhalla 2 then, as my hd650 gets most of my head time.  Plus I will end up picking up a SS amp like the Asgard 2 down the line anyways.

If you are thinking of getting a Asgard2 down the line I would recommend a different path.  Forget the Valhalla2 + Asgard2 and go for something higher up, WA22, EC Zana Deux, or Rag and be done, might be a cheaper route.

For me, if I were to do it over and having heard some high end amps like EC Balancing Act, Liquid Gold, Liquid Glass and a few others, it would have been the same/cheaper cost for all the amps that I have been through

Feb 24, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #32,849 of 46,503
  If you are thinking of getting a Asgard2 down the line I would recommend a different path.  Forget the Valhalla2 + Asgard2 and go for something higher up, WA22, EC Zana Deux, or Rag and be done, might be a cheaper route.

For me, if I were to do it over and having heard some high end amps like EC Balancing Act, Liquid Gold, Liquid Glass and a few others, it would have been the same/cheaper cost for all the amps that I have been through

I agree with this. Abundance of truly great (and pricey) amps out there. You've found your thrill-HP. Now get the amp that's End Game. For you.  Curb your craving for a quick fix, bite the bullet, save up for a jewel in the crown. Done. The Empire Strikes Back. With Finality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back