Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 18, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #32,701 of 46,564
Quote:

It wouldn't make sense to me. I've A/B'ed them back and forth at our local meets with a variety of gear and music, and concluded that there's no situation when I'd rather listen to the 600. This can be boiled down to me not finding the 650's midbass hump too objectionable given how well it does everything else. They are incredibly similar and the 600 is really good in its own right, I just can't think of a reason to keep both unless you enjoy collecting headphones for the sake of collecting.

Originally Posted by ubs28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ok thanks. I won't buy the HD 600 then if they are incredibly similar. 

Agree. I bough 650 after had 600 and finally return it for the same reason, they are too similar to keep both.

Feb 18, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #32,702 of 46,564
Having ordered the HD650 and a Bitfrost + Valhalla 2 combo a while back, I've received my HD650 earlier than expected. Thought I'd test it out with my HRT Microstreamer while I wait for the schiit gear. Wow. Absolutely stunning -  and, for the kind of sound I like, already head and shoulders above anything I've ever had or heard before. I have never experienced such a smooth and rich yet detailed and textured sound, with vocals in particular being utterly seductive and intimate.  

And this is just running it through a Microstreamer without burning in and all that. I really can't imagine how the Bitfrost/Valhalla 2 will further improve on what I've already heard (hopefully add a bit more warmth overall and a tad bit more weight to the bass) but I really cannot wait to find out.

Feb 18, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #32,704 of 46,564
Having ordered the HD650 and a Bitfrost + Valhalla 2 combo a while back, I've received my HD650 earlier than expected. Thought I'd test it out with my HRT Microstreamer while I wait for the schiit gear. Wow. Absolutely stunning -  and, for the kind of sound I like, already head and shoulders above anything I've ever had or heard before. I have never experienced such a smooth and rich yet detailed and textured sound, with vocals in particular being utterly seductive and intimate.  

And this is just running it through a Microstreamer without burning in and all that. I really can't imagine how the Bitfrost/Valhalla 2 will further improve on what I've already heard (hopefully add a bit more warmth overall and a tad bit more weight to the bass) but I really cannot wait to find out.

Valhalla 2 is outstanding for HD650 and can easily be endgame IMHO. V2 is actually quite linear and tightens up HD650 sometimes 'bloomy' bass. I found Bifrost MB a little too coloured with this setup, Bifrost DS would probably be a better match...

Feb 19, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #32,706 of 46,564
I find the hd600 to be a little better with orchestral music since it has less of a 'bloom' than the hd650. I used the hd650 more for pop/rock types of music, where I don't mind the mid bass being raised so much.

Feb 19, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #32,707 of 46,564
Just to offer a different perspective, to me HD650 and HD600 aren't as similar as some reports lead to believe. It always surprises me to read it eventhough my ears aren't exactly golden. Sure things are all relative but I don't recognize myself in 'incredible/extreme' similarities.

They may be something like brothers. In the same camp but really are quite distinct. 

Feb 19, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #32,708 of 46,564
  Just to offer a different perspective, to me HD650 and HD600 aren't as similar as some reports lead to believe. It always surprises me to read it eventhough my ears aren't exactly golden. Sure things are all relative but I don't recognize myself in 'incredible/extreme' similarities.

They may be something like brothers. In the same camp but really are quite distinct. 

Have to agree. I found the soundstaging(HD 650's are wider and more spacious while the HD 600 is more intimate and upfront) and overall presentation quite different between the two. Not sure why people say they are so similar when honestly they really aren't.

Feb 19, 2016 at 5:17 AM Post #32,710 of 46,564
What kind of closed back are you guys using that sound similar to the hd650?  If there was only one thing I wouldn't mind different, it is a little bit more speed. Same price range as the hd650.

EDIT:  Doesn't need to be portable, but needs pretty good to great isolation.

Feb 19, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #32,712 of 46,564
Quite an amazing pair of headphones. Always considered myself picky when it came to headphones and the HD 650 do not disappoint. It is important to note however, that you need a decent amplifier in order to get the most out of these. Without one, you simply won't get to taste what these headphones can really do.

Feb 19, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #32,714 of 46,564
Looks like WWII era cans.  Comfortable I hope?  Are they better than the DT 250 even?
They are ugly.

That being said, they have a more holographic sound stage then the 650, deeper bass and the 650's seductive mids. The 250 is a different model that has a higher model number ala DT 880/990, it is completely different.

Feb 19, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #32,715 of 46,564
They are ugly.

That being said, they have a more holographic sound stage then the 650, deeper bass and the 650's seductive mids. The 250 is a different model that has a higher model number ala DT 880/990, it is completely different.

650s mids, as in they do very well with either gender vocalists?

The 650 mids is probably the driving factor I'm thinking of keeping my 650 and selling my 400i.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back