Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 30, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #31,516 of 46,514
  Spec wise that may well be true but I am one of those contrary fellows who doesn't believe everything he reads or is told :)   But that's just me.

I have neither the time nor the inclincation to get into that level of detail and ensuing expense.

And sometimes I DO wonder - who wrote the book of ....  no,no that's not it.

I wonder what this FULL Potential of the HD650 sounds like. Is it different that what I am hearing? And if so in what audible ways? What am I missing?

That question could spawn and entire thread that may last.... well, forever perhaps :)

They sound just fine with the Aune and better  to my ears at least, with RX MK3+,  but everyone's ears and the connection to the brain is different and so different ears hear different things.

I think this discussion might be something like arguing about how many fairies can dance on the head of the pin :)

I always lose count and get it wrong!

Only one guys opinion which you can take with a grain of salt or not.

The real truth is that amplifier technology is a VERY mature tech and has been for many years. The audible differences between most any modern SS amps designed for accurate sound reproduction is going to be extremely subtle. Then there are tons of amps on the market that are designed to be tone and detail controls, find one that fits the euphonic sound that pleases you and run with it. Some folks belong to the amp of the month club, others have tube amps and swap tubes constantly to alter the sound. Same can be done with the equalizer controls included in many playback software, hardware, etc.
It's up to you, do you want an accurate (High Fidelity) system or something more pleasing to your personal taste. Either path is justifiable and a personal choice.

Dec 30, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #31,517 of 46,514
Well said.

Its all in the ears and brain (apparently they are connected) of the listener.

I live in a small city in Canada where an Audio firm called Bryston is based.

Been buying Bryston gear for a very long time - this decades.

Now I can hear a difference between their gear and much lesser gear and I can tell you the audible difference I hear. Is it better say than Krell at much more money? Not to me but to someone else it likely is.

However when it came to their headphone amp - well not so much and I know they will change that again soon.

I get a bird's eye view and having an engineering/physics background I understand what is going on.

If they don't change something they don't make more money. And I can't say I hear the changes for the extra money.

Now their stuff is expensive and it ought to be if you see how it is designed and then made by hand, and hand soldered right here in Canada in this small little building.

Interesting - they have a take on cables I share - most people waste money on cables and spend scads of money. Interesting that all of their cables are OEM'd by a company in Japan. Says right on the cable

There cables are suitable and not priced in the crazy way those chaps at Audioquest do it and colour the gear and give it cool names and higher prices. And we all know why they do that but people still buy it - go figure!

Its all the same cable at the end the say in a different wrapping - although I know they would take umbrage with my observation.

One man's view - whether its informed or not depends on me and only represents my opinion which as I have said before and it bears repeating - take it with a grain of salt or think about it - free choice - its a good thing.

Glad to find out their are like minds out there.

I hate being tied to the grid and that's why i spent the money for MK3B+, that and its ability to drive anything well and with a variable bass done right. I also didn't want to spend any more money than I already did.

I'm an outlier - this is a fringe thing for me - I have wonderful stereo systems in the house that I mostly listen to, but I appreciate a headphone and amp that sounds 'good' to me!

Dec 30, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #31,518 of 46,514

Enough vodka, you won't even notice it! But yeah, the HE-500 are heavy as heck. I'd take them off and switch to the HD650s while I'm writing, but I just can't let go of those amazing vocals and high-hat shimmy.

I keep reading things like this ... " the HE-500 are heavy as heck" ... but this is really a simple problem to solve. 

With some parachute line, a pulley mounted in the ceiling, and a suitable counterweight (bag of sand), ANY headphone can be made to be effectively weightless at your favorite designated listening spot.

And that is a small accommodation that ANY Head-Fi-phile should be willing to make in pursuit of the ultimate.

(Head-Fi-phile's wife ... well maybe not so much.)

Those of you willing to look geeky can just use a very large helium balloon.

You're welcome!

Dec 30, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #31,519 of 46,514
biggrin.gif

Dec 30, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #31,520 of 46,514
Outstanding!!

Does anyone really believe that Sennheiser gives a rat's ...well you can fill in that blank, what we think - I don't want to get banned already - I don't even have enough posts to give myself an Avatar or any background - but I can Buy stuff - sell - nope!

Apparently I am a Spam Bot whatever that is. I looked in the mirror and I still look like me. I don't even know what a spam bot is, I am so old.

I suspect that Hifiman and to a lesser extent Audeze do listen to their customers.

Otherwise why would Sennheiser have ever made the 800 (forget the 700 another mistake just not as bad.)   Oh oh I am going to get it now!

There are scads of them for sale - buyer's remorse more than likely and no one is buying,

Sure the 500's were heavy so they made the 560's or is that 650's oops transposition - my goodness - you don' think do you....? Naw couldn't be!

I like the helium ballon idea - you could hurt yourself if you did the sand bag thing wrong.

Or you could try and find a lighter headphone you like as much which I think you almost did.

Just a tad more booze and maybe something else and bingo bango - you're in wonderland with your 650's or is the 560's - whichever.

Heck if you want light try the EL-8 Open, not the closed - they might hurt your ears.

Back to the booze - the New Year is closing in fast and I have to be prepared!

Dec 30, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #31,522 of 46,514
Bingo - best idea of the day and you won't look like a geek.

I mean really - has anyone put their headphones on and then looked in a mirror?

I did and my wife saw me and asked if I was taking a trip to Mars in the near future!

At which point I crammed my Audeze LCD2's on her head and said take a look - you must be coming with me!

Dec 30, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #31,523 of 46,514
@castleofargh

Maybe all 650's sound a little bit different.

One more reason why the 650 is no longer in the I LOVE THEM category is because I've been spoilt by the LCD2 and MDR Z7. If you do get a chance to listen to a Z7 do so its FABULOUS. Lots of people think its a thick sounding can and it is when under amped but listen to it on a powerful transparent desktop amp and its AWESOME.  It doesn't sound like a bag of spanners when under amped but the delta b/w it being played while under amped and played from a transparent powerful desktop amp is so big its beggars belief.

Dec 30, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #31,524 of 46,514
  @castleofargh

One more reason why the 650 is no longer in the I LOVE THEM category is because I've been spoilt by the LCD2 and MDR Z7. If you do get a chance to listen to a Z7 do so its FABULOUS. Lots of people think its a thick sounding can and it is when under amped but listen to it on a powerful transparent desktop amp and its AWESOME. 

You'll be back,  and I won't even  taunt you with  I TOLD YOU SO

Dec 30, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #31,525 of 46,514
@castleofargh

One more reason why the 650 is no longer in the I LOVE THEM category is because I've been spoilt by the LCD2 and MDR Z7. If you do get a chance to listen to a Z7 do so its FABULOUS. Lots of people think its a thick sounding can and it is when under amped but listen to it on a powerful transparent desktop amp and its AWESOME.  It doesn't sound like a bag of spanners when under amped but the delta b/w it being played while under amped and played from a transparent powerful desktop amp is so big its beggars belief.

The Z7 is precisely the reason why my HD650s are up for sale :)

And I agree the LCD-2 is the logical upgrade for the 650s.

Dec 31, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #31,528 of 46,514
  Outstanding!!

Does anyone really believe that Sennheiser gives a rat's ...well you can fill in that blank, what we think - I don't want to get banned already - I don't even have enough posts to give myself an Avatar or any background - but I can Buy stuff - sell - nope!

Apparently I am a Spam Bot whatever that is. I looked in the mirror and I still look like me. I don't even know what a spam bot is, I am so old.

I suspect that Hifiman and to a lesser extent Audeze do listen to their customers.

Otherwise why would Sennheiser have ever made the 800 (forget the 700 another mistake just not as bad.)   Oh oh I am going to get it now!

There are scads of them for sale - buyer's remorse more than likely and no one is buying,

Sure the 500's were heavy so they made the 560's or is that 650's oops transposition - my goodness - you don' think do you....? Naw couldn't be!

I like the helium ballon idea - you could hurt yourself if you did the sand bag thing wrong.

Or you could try and find a lighter headphone you like as much which I think you almost did.

Just a tad more booze and maybe something else and bingo bango - you're in wonderland with your 650's or is the 560's - whichever.

Heck if you want light try the EL-8 Open, not the closed - they might hurt your ears.

Back to the booze - the New Year is closing in fast and I have to be prepared!

I thought the 560s sounded significantly different from the 500. I haven't sampled the HE-560, so I don't know. I've got HE-500s...

And very strong neck muscles.

Dec 31, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #31,529 of 46,514
Do they even have a z7 thread, or do the owners come here to share impressions?

I seldom see people mentioning the Z7 on this thread. And yes, there is a Z7 thread.

The past two posts regarding the Z7 is pertinent to the HD650 which are valid posts.

Dec 31, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #31,530 of 46,514
The Z7 is precisely the reason why my HD650s are up for sale
smily_headphones1.gif

And I agree the LCD-2 is the logical upgrade for the 650s.

Hmmm, not so sure. I have both and think they are different enough to keep 'em both. The HD650 on the BH Crack with Speedball is hard to beat with certain genres. I think the LCD-2 is slightly better in some genres and equally nice in others. I find the Hifiman HE-560 a better upgrade path(with leather pads). 

Cheers,
K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back