Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 8, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #28,727 of 46,527
  I'm wasn't trying to tell anyone how to enjoy their hobby, if that's how you interpret it, you mis-understand.
But maybe I mis-understand, I thought the hobby was about High Fidelity and the accurate reproduction of music?

Oh okay, well, my idea is it is what you make it to be. For some its about the best possible recreation of the recording, just like you. For others, its the most enjoyable sound possible like me. And for some others, it is some odd combination of the sound and appreciation of the engineering that goes into it. Maybe it's just my way of thinking, but I think everyone's journey in high end audio is different and the scene can get a bit messy sometimes and lose sight of that. Its in no way as bad as some scenes though in my opinion. In general head-fiers are just a bunch of guys (and a few gals too!) who love audio equipment and want to get the most ideal set up(s) that they can dream of. Within that, you have little oddities. Some people love cables, others want the coolest truck size tubes ever, and others like me really like collecting headphones!

Sep 8, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #28,728 of 46,527
 In general head-fiers are just a bunch of guys (and a few gals too!) who love audio equipment and want to get the most ideal set up(s) that they can dream of.

Gals? where? where?
L3000.gif

Sep 8, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #28,729 of 46,527
I'm all in on the truck size tubes!!   
biggrin.gif

Sep 8, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #28,736 of 46,527
  This one of the biggest traids, i think everybody knows the hd650 in the audiophile comunity. So off topics are often here. Which is one of the other reason i come here, besides being a HD650 owner.

agreed. but threads have been locked by our fearless Mod for less......,

Sep 8, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #28,738 of 46,527
  The HD600 and 580 sound quite alike(obviously) The HD650 is more refined sounding. Out of a good amp it;s easier to tell them apart as the HD650 has a more linear mids. It also is deeper sounding than the other two. I used to think I was powering the HD650 correctly with the Asgard 2 and Vali but they clearly need a better amp. With my Bottlehead + Speedball they sound how they are supposed to sound. 

How does your 600 sound out of your Bottlehead + Speedball?

Sep 8, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #28,739 of 46,527
i have a guy selling 598s for 120 on craigslist. very tempted to get them just because i like how they look, is there any reason at all, at all, to do what i am planning? :) please put some sanity in my head

Sep 8, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #28,740 of 46,527
Wanted to post some quick thoughts after some time with the HD 650s and an O2+ODAC.

HD 650 - Extremely uncomfortable, I feel like my head is in a vice clamp wearing these.  The ear cups aren't deep enough so my ears are smushed up against the inner foam.  They sound good but the bass isn't great.  Overall they don't have enough bass for my personal taste.  They don't sound weak or flat or anything; I just realized I prefer a more bass-heavy listening experience.  

O2+ODAC - Didn't make much of a difference over my PC other than being able to raise the volume over what the PC could output.  It would be much more useful with a lower power source like a cell phone.

Below are the bassier options I came up with looking through the forums:

Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 ohm (what do the variations in ohms offer?)
HiFiMan RE-400 (what is the difference in the vanilla, 'i' and 'S' variants?)
Philips Fidelio X2
Ultrasone Pro 2900 (hadn't heard of this brand before but they seem decent)

If anyone has thoughts or experience with these or something I may have missed please let me know.  I don't want to hijack this thread with other models so feel free to PM me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back