Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 9, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #27,826 of 46,506
Compared to HD700? A good complement to HD700?

IMO, the 650 and 700 are perfect, complimentary 'phones. I switch between them, routinely, based on genre.

Aug 9, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #27,827 of 46,506

Leaves 700 in the dust. For musicality with vocals, acoustic, jazz, rock.  imo.
cool.gif

I liked the HD650 but sold  and replaced them with HD700 which I prefer for listening to music.

Aug 9, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #27,828 of 46,506
How would the HD650 perform with genres like symphonic metal, orchestra, ambient electronic, synth wave...with vocals in my music encompassing both male and female artists?

I have the X2 but feel they lag somewhat in the mids and treble is a little harsh and can be a bit grainy. 

I'm also considering the new HE400s and possibly the AKG K7xx.

Aug 9, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #27,830 of 46,506
  How would the HD650 perform with genres like symphonic metal, orchestra, ambient electronic, synth wave...with vocals in my music encompassing both male and female artists?

I have the X2 but feel they lag somewhat in the mids and treble is a little harsh and can be a bit grainy. 

I own HD650 and HE-400i and love them both. HE-400i is a little bitt cleaner and more detailed sounding (analytical) headphone than HD650 and the bass is more textured and goes deeper. I have also heard HE-400S (the new model for portable use) and, while good headphone for what it is I personally prefer HD650 and HE-400i for any music. I haven't heard AKG k7xx. I am not a big fan of AKG house sound anymore.

Aug 9, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #27,831 of 46,506

For the type of music you like I think the HE-400i would be more to your liking due to the speed of the planar driver.  The HD-650 is a great headphone and is fairly good all around.  The K7XX also has slightly recessed mids IMO but has a wider sound stage than the HD-650 so it will be a better match to what you like to listen to.  Haven't heard the HE-400s so can't comment on it.

Another you might want to consider is the HD-700, would be best to listen to it first as some love it while others hate it.

With any of these headphones you should also look at what amps people are using, some headphone/amp combinations are magical while others are not so great.

Aug 9, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #27,832 of 46,506
I kinda want to paint the pair I'm about to get ( pair numero 3)

does anyone have any advice about what paints/ methods to use? i''ve never done anything like this before

Aug 9, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #27,835 of 46,506
For the type of music you like I think the HE-400i would be more to your liking due to the speed of the planar driver.  The HD-650 is a great headphone and is fairly good all around.  The K7XX also has slightly recessed mids IMO but has a wider sound stage than the HD-650 so it will be a better match to what you like to listen to.  Haven't heard the HE-400s so can't comment on it.

Another you might want to consider is the HD-700, would be best to listen to it first as some love it while others hate it.

With any of these headphones you should also look at what amps people are using, some headphone/amp combinations are magical while others are not so great.

Hd700 is out of my price range. I can barely squeeze enough for the hd650, will probably wait for another sale if I choose them.

My amp/dac is in my signature: modi/magni 2 uber.

Aug 9, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #27,836 of 46,506
I kinda want to paint the pair I'm about to get ( pair numero 3)

does anyone have any advice about what paints/ methods to use? i''ve never done anything like this before

My advice would be don't do it.

Aug 9, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #27,838 of 46,506
Can you explain why? If the paint is chipped, why not? I have had my HD650 for 10 years and I can guarantee you they don't look nice after so many years of use. Chipping paint and scratches. Of course I would also recommend re-painting only if they look really bad. 

I'm not in favor if any kind of modification. It will instantly go from a well worn phone to a damaged phone. I guess it's the collector in me that would always rather see wear than a repair. Plus I've seen many botched paint jobs over the years on head-fi.

Aug 9, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #27,839 of 46,506
Hd700 is out of my price range. I can barely squeeze enough for the hd650, will probably wait for another sale if I choose them.

My amp/dac is in my signature: modi/magni 2 uber.

Try to look in the FS thread, I've seen some at $350, or even amazon warehouse $417 used very good condition, at least you can return them if you don't like the sound.  Hope they put the HD-650 on sale again, went as low as $290 when I got mine and a few months later it was at $290 again and got a second pair for my son.

Aug 9, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #27,840 of 46,506

Excellent in all of it. I have the X1, not the X2, but it's pretty similar and yes I agree. The HE400 I was pretty unimpressed with. Not a bad headphone, but the dynamic driver on the 650 just gives it something special at its price point. If you want to go planar, gotta bounce up to the higher models. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back