Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jun 19, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #26,236 of 46,514
Ain't that the beauty of this hobby? With so much available there's no one who'd be unable to find SOME setup that's perfect for them.

Jun 19, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #26,237 of 46,514
  Ain't that the beauty of this hobby? With so much available there's no one who'd be unable to find SOME setup that's perfect for them.

+1

There is something for everybody at pretty much any price level

Jun 19, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #26,239 of 46,514
You know, when I first got my Project Ember MkII I was under the impression that the optimum output resistance was the low (0.1 Ohm) setting. I've since been talking to the designer Frans, who tells me that, actually, it doesn't really matter. Whatever sounds best to your ear is best.

So I've been trying out familiar albums on the High setting & you know what? Me likey
redface.gif

I have one caveat though & it's this..

When using the High output R setting it does draw attention to the slight bloom the 650's have in the upper bass / lower mids.

When using the Low output R setting it's not so obvious. It's still there, but it's not overwhelming. I may have been subconsciously compensating for this bloom when I chose the Low output R setting at the start.

I guess that's where the filter will come in, once it's released.

Jun 19, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #26,242 of 46,514
  For you guys who upgraded to something better than the HD 650s, what route did you end up taking?

I went the other way around, had the HD-800, LCD-2f, HE-560, HD-700, and RS2e before getting the HD-650, I don't really get this upgrade thinking, I just like different sound signatures for more variety.

Jun 19, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #26,243 of 46,514
I agree with David. 
You can't really use the word "upgrade" here, since it's always on the preference side. The HD800 is a completely different beast than the HD650 in terms of sound.

But still, I got the HD800 and now I wanna sell the HD650 since I don't use it anymore. I like the HD800 WAY more than the HD650.
I'm using the O2+ODAC combo just for now, I'm waiting for my Bottlehead Crack w/ Speedball to arrive.

Jun 19, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #26,245 of 46,514
I went the other way around, had the HD-800, LCD-2f, HE-560, HD-700, and RS2e before getting the HD-650, I don't really get this upgrade thinking, I just like different sound signatures for more variety.

Since David and me seem to think alike in many aspects, I am on his side here as well.

I had the HE-560 and LCD2f and the T90 before I bought the HD650. I just love to explore different signatures, which makes it so hard for me to sell headphones....

Cheers,
K

Jun 19, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #26,246 of 46,514

That brought a smile to my face!! I agree with what you're saying here David. With all the new (expensive) kids on the block, the HD650 has been taking a little bashing and is being described by some as outdated.

My first thought was, 'how does a good sound become outdated?' It's a great headphone and is the only one that I always return to after wandering off to others.

Jun 19, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #26,247 of 46,514
That brought a smile to my face!! I agree with what you're saying here David. With all the new (expensive) kids on the block, the HD650 has been taking a little bashing and is being described by some as outdated.

My first thought was, 'how does a good sound become outdated?' It's a great headphone and is the only one that I always return to after wandering off to others.

Hi Ian,
One of the reasons I got the HD-650 was that it was one of the most compared to headphones in many of the other threads that I was viewing. And after having it now for a few months I can see why its been around for so long, reminds me of my MDR-7506 which has been around just as long.

And your thought of "how does a good sound become outdated" is spot on, if it sounded good before why would it not sound good now?  I've kept most of the headphones that I've purchased because I just like the different sound signatures be they warm, dark, bright, etc, I'm more in to just finding the headphones that will make the various genres of music that I listen to sound their best, or even just a different presentation.

Jun 19, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #26,248 of 46,514
I haven't heard anything more expensive than the 650's (other than the Orpheus at a show many, many years ago) but I do read a lot (too much) here & it's clear that the Senn's have a pretty unique sound signature.

There can't really be a direct, logical upgrade path because anything else loses that unique sound.

I think.
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #26,249 of 46,514
  I haven't heard anything more expensive than the 650's (other than the Orpheus at a show many, many years ago) but I do read al ot (too much) here & it's clear that the Senn's have a pretty unique sound signature.

There can't really be a direct, logical upgrade path because anything else loses that unique sound.

I think.
biggrin.gif

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back