Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jun 18, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #26,221 of 46,535
Yea, it's different, but not nearly as sensitive as the Bravo, which I've read has far more gain built-in. Once I take the top back off again I'll switch it back to w/AM. 

I'll have to play around with the impedance settings to see what I like best.

Thanks for the tips, very much enjoying this combo today (when I'm not getting interrupted :) ).

Todd

Jun 18, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #26,222 of 46,535
  Listening to my 650's on the Ember II that arrived a day early. I have a Sylvania 6SN7 tube in it and to me, the difference in sound comes down to one simple word: character. The sound just has more life and "bounce" to it through the Ember. I have it set to the "High" impedance mode, input caps bypassed, and w/AM setting is enabled though honestly, I forget what that does. Either it's the last two recordings I turned on or it's that setting, but I believe it adds gain.

Bass is still a little shy on the 650s BUT, that may just by my affinity to a kick drum one can feel, not just hear. Bass doesn't sound bad at all, in fact it sounds delightful and very rich on a recording like YYZ but on Parkway Drive - Wild Eyes, it just lacks a little ferocity :)

Hey TR

Do you know the output impedance of your Ember II?

Jun 18, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #26,223 of 46,535
  Hey TR

Do you know the output impedance of your Ember II?

Hey man, it's selectable per the site:

1. Output Resistance: Selectable 0.1, 35 or 120Ohm

That's what we're referring to when we're saying "low, medium, high," it's selectable on each side of the amp per channel though I'd imagine this should always be equal on both channels.

Jun 18, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #26,224 of 46,535

That's what we're referring to when we're saying "low, medium, high," it's selectable on each side of the amp per channel though I'd imagine this should always be equal on both channels.

Yes, definitely the same on both channels.

I believe that technically the HD 650 is at it's optimum on the low (0.1) setting. That doesn't mean the listener will definitely prefer it but it's nice to have the choice.

Jun 18, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #26,225 of 46,535

Thank you for the answer.

Thank you for the detailed explanation Damian, I appreciated that!

I was wondering if there were something "new" which could be used to drive low to high impedance cans but it seems that the best ones in this price range (<500$) are still Project Ember and Lyr2 which some peoples compared to BTH Crack (with HD600/650 and alike) and found to be in the same league, even if each one have it's own plus and minus.

Interesting reading.

Glad if it helped. And if you find that amp let us know! Maybe the Ember (although I haven't heard how it does with low-impedance, current-hungry cans, which the Lyr2 will do in spades).

All I can say is the magic the Gustard adds to the LCDs (for someone with warmer tastes) didn't come out on the 650's. Too much warm/warm = dull.

Kinda makes sense. I prefer a warm sound, the LCD is brighter than the 650, so it makes magic for one but drags the 650 into "too dark" territory. Too smooth.

Jun 18, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #26,226 of 46,535

Yes, definitely the same on both channels.

I believe that technically the HD 650 is at it's optimum on the low (0.1) setting. That doesn't mean the listener will definitely prefer it but it's nice to have the choice.

what setting, in your respective opinions, do you guys think the 650s sound best?

Jun 18, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #26,227 of 46,535
what setting, in your respective opinions, do you guys think the 650s sound best?

I think probably the low setting is best . The lowest setting outputs the most power. As you go upwards the sound gets darker. This may suit some recordings though so it's really up to you. Whatever you think is best IS best. You won't damage anything.

Jun 18, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #26,228 of 46,535

For the HD-650, the output resistance/impedance setting depends on the tube that I'm using.  If using a brighter tube like a Telefunken 12AU7 then I prefer the high setting, with a Mullard then either the mid or low setting, usually try to stay away from the low setting with the HD-650 as it makes it overly bright and the bass get a little flabby.

Jun 18, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #26,229 of 46,535
I think probably the low setting is best . The lowest setting outputs the most power. As you go upwards the sound gets darker. This may suit some recordings though so it's really up to you. Whatever you think is best IS best. You won't damage anything.

I know it's a different amp, but on my solstice w/ a sylv 6sn7gtb, I also have the jumpers on L, which according to the manual, is the 68R. I find high(0.1) to be tad bit brighter.

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #26,230 of 46,535
When I first unboxed the Ember, I thought H/M/L was referring to the actual impedance on the headphones, so with a 300 ohm can, I should be using "high." I didn't realize that was referring to the relative output impedance and, after reading up on output impedances I can see why the low setting is *probably* favorable in most circumstances with something like the HD650. But, obviously that's just my interpretation. I need to play with it some more, frankly the High setting sounded fine to me, but Low does sound a bit crisper, less warm as it were. I like to swing juuuuust to the warm side of neutral so, yea, I'll keep playing.

This is one of the reasons I ultimately went with the Ember II as opposed to something like the Lyr 2 - tweakability. Not just on the 650's but for anything I decide to try. Now to just break this bad boy in! The cans are already well-worn in, being that they were used.

Jun 19, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #26,231 of 46,535
I know it's a different amp, but on my solstice w/ a sylv 6sn7gtb, I also have the jumpers on L, which according to the manual, is the 68R. I find high(0.1) to be tad bit brighter.

You're right. I'm not sure if that's a mistake or not.

On the Ember the low setting is the low value whereas on the Solstice the low setting is the high value. That's an odd one. I can't explain it.

Jun 19, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #26,233 of 46,535

You're right. I'm not sure if that's a mistake or not.

On the Ember the low setting is the low value whereas on the Solstice the low setting is the high value. That's an odd one. I can't explain it.

maybe the "Solstice high" is for high Z phones?  nah,you're right, it's weird......

Jun 19, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #26,234 of 46,535
Most seem to find the low setting better for the hd650, Todd since it fractionally alters the treble relative to the bass. Mid setting perhaps for the hd600. I did find that the Grados seemed to sound a little nicer on high impedance which I found a bit weird given that they're only 32 ohms.

I'm not really fussed about the Grado sound but the high output impedance really helped them for me. Also, the AKG K7**/6** seem to be a little warmer at a higher setting.

I know that some frown on raising the output impedance, but tbh, if it sounds nicer I couldn't care in the least.

Jun 19, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #26,235 of 46,535
Most seem to find the low setting better for the hd650, Todd since it fractionally alters the treble relative to the bass. Mid setting perhaps for the hd600. I did find that the Grados seemed to sound a little nicer on high impedance which I found a bit weird given that they're only 32 ohms.

I'm not really fussed about the Grado sound but the high output impedance really helped them for me. Also, the AKG K7**/6** seem to be a little warmer at a higher setting.

I know that some frown on raising the output impedance, but tbh, if it sounds nicer I couldn't care in the least.

Agree with this, use what ever sounds best to you, that's all that matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back