Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jun 11, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #25,921 of 46,499
Jun 11, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #25,923 of 46,499

And those scars will have magnificent 5 O'clock shadows

@me crawls back into the safer, saner world of pre-Annie Lennox rock :p

^^^^ man-cans....

Jun 11, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #25,924 of 46,499
Hi guys! Just a quick question: what is true about the stuff I read somewhere that there is a new revision of the HD650 since Sep 2014? Can you perhaps direct me somewhere it's been discussed or something? Is there any evidence of the new revision? I'm asking because I'm a very happy owner of a 2009 HD650 (silver insides), so I'm curious...

Jun 11, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #25,925 of 46,499
  Hi guys! Just a quick question: what is true about the stuff I read somewhere that there is a new revision of the HD650 since Sep 2014? Can you perhaps direct me somewhere it's been discussed or something? Is there any evidence of the new revision? I'm asking because I'm a very happy owner of a 2009 HD650 (silver insides), so I'm curious...

New to me.....??? The box changed, that's it AFAIK

Jun 11, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #25,926 of 46,499
  New to me.....??? The box changed, that's it AFAIK

Well, then you are probably right. The only information I have is from this post here in another thread on Head-Fi.

Jun 11, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #25,928 of 46,499

Well, then you are probably right. The only information I have is from this post here in another thread on Head-Fi.

Yeah - I wouldn't sweat that. Pretty well confirmed on this thread that there were no acoustic changes at all.

Edit: @pfillion I see you lurking.....the 650's on my Crack came from you lol :)

Jun 11, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #25,929 of 46,499
^ Great pic 

what cable is that on your 650 ?

Jun 11, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #25,930 of 46,499
  ^ Great pic 

what cable is that on your 650 ?

Thanks man. The peeps here will be getting bored of me mentioning the cables, but I got them from @q2klepto made to my specs. Second set I've bought and will be getting more for my LCD's once I decide on length, balanced/SE. PM him if interested - I like 'em.

Jun 11, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #25,931 of 46,499
Thanks.

Jun 11, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #25,932 of 46,499
After 4 years of using the exact same set-up, the HD650s still manage to blow me away sometimes.

Listening to Nicolas Jaar - Space is only Noise. Everything sounds so lush and comfortable. It's the sound of a winter night spent sitting by the fireplace drinking a fine dark ale and watching the flickering flames.

I love these cans.

Jun 11, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #25,933 of 46,499
  Yeah - I wouldn't sweat that. Pretty well confirmed on this thread that there were no acoustic changes at all.

Edit: @pfillion I see you lurking.....the 650's on my Crack came from you lol :)

Wow, very nice setup my friend 
wink.gif

I have to admit that I really really miss the HD650. 

I will probably buy another pair once I will get rid of my LCD-X.

Jun 11, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #25,934 of 46,499
  Why not go with a DAP? Or a really long extension cable back to the desktop.

Also, love the looks of the Parrot Zik! Very classy and unique.

I use a laptop much of the time (like right now), and having a giant cable all the way over to my desktop would just be lunacy. Plus I stream my music, so a DAP is a no-go. The Zik 2.0's are cool as hell looking IMO! The sound is... not bad at all for a bluetooth noise canceling headphone.

I liked the ALO Island more then the DACport, with the HD650s.  I don't know how to explain it, but it just felt like the ALO was pushing more current at the headphones.  But in the end, bigger rigs are best for the HD650.  By bigger, I mean amps that require wall power...

Also, have you ever listened to any of the headphone outs from Apogee devices.  I'm guess you do some recording, from what you use now.  And the Apogee interfaces are top notch, and the headphone outs are not too shabby.

I haven't tussled with Apogee yet, mostly just M-Audio and Focusrite who I've been impressed with. And yes, I know, everyone talks about how the 650's "need" this or that amp and we're all falling all over ourselves for these giant rigs, like over in the se846 thread people raving about the $3000 Hugo, but unless we're talking about a headphone that just mechanically needs something particularly unique or else it won't function properly... I don't buy it. I refuse to believe that the actual signal coming out of these things is so wildly different. Gentle shades, maybe, but that's all. One reason I got rid of my Lyr was I started tube rolling and was forced to admit to myself that the stock tubes didn't sound wildly different than any of the ones I bought, but I was starting to go insane over 0.1% differences. 

I can't seem to find anything about the Island, incidentally. At least not where to get one. Just some old threads on here. 

Jun 11, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #25,935 of 46,499

I use a laptop much of the time (like right now), and having a giant cable all the way over to my desktop would just be lunacy. Plus I stream my music, so a DAP is a no-go. The Zik 2.0's are cool as hell looking IMO! The sound is... not bad at all for a bluetooth noise canceling headphone.

I haven't tussled with Apogee yet, mostly just M-Audio and Focusrite who I've been impressed with. And yes, I know, everyone talks about how the 650's "need" this or that amp and we're all falling all over ourselves for these giant rigs, like over in the se846 thread people raving about the $3000 Hugo, but unless we're talking about a headphone that just mechanically needs something particularly unique or else it won't function properly... I don't buy it. I refuse to believe that the actual signal coming out of these things is so wildly different. Gentle shades, maybe, but that's all. One reason I got rid of my Lyr was I started tube rolling and was forced to admit to myself that the stock tubes didn't sound wildly different than any of the ones I bought, but I was starting to go insane over 0.1% differences. 

I can't seem to find anything about the Island, incidentally. At least not where to get one. Just some old threads on here. 

I use a HD650 with a DIY amp that's filtered purposefully to balance out the HD650 (increase sub bass and lower the mids a smidgen), and I have to say the sound coming out of it is amazing, but it still sounds like a HD650 regardless. Just a HD650 that has better controlled bass -and boy can it scoop down to the tastiest of sub bass-, and the mids surprisingly sounds much cleaner. This DIY project cost me no more than 200 pounds, including shipping costs.

I have an O2, which now finds its use powering my T50RP's.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back