Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 12, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #25,096 of 46,514
  I know how it feels to build something from the scratch and at the end it won't work and debugging is more time consuming.

GOOD LUCK!

I fixed it.

Now in a tired daze I shall relax and think naught of what I'm listening to: the best way to enjoy music.

*edit* couldn't find a camera, so I jimmy rigged my webcam for this shot.

Everything is held inside using electric tape. Might find a more solid means of fixing things.

Not laid back as it was, but not fatiguing at all and highs have a tidge more presence. Sub bass has more presence. It doesn't sound like the HD650's, but it's still a sound signature I can relax to.

Currently listening to The Chieftains as I type this, and bobbing my head.

May 12, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #25,099 of 46,514
  Officially back in the club as of today  
biggrin.gif

Welcome home!

May 12, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #25,100 of 46,514
Musicstreamer II plus came in today. I only had to listen to 3 tracks to conclude the previous problems with the Modi 2 uber were all in the modi 2 uber. Like every other DAC I own, the MRii is crystal clear, delivering the music in it's approximate representation, no more, no less. No more mud, just crystal clear analog music from a digital source. I am still a little shocked how bad the modi was with the 650's. I've heard of bad pairings before but that took the cake. Of course you can hear differences between one DAC and another but it's usually subtle. I am not sure I could ABX the MRi with the soundblaster E5 or my Audioengine 100% of the time but I could spot the modi every time from the mud. Maybe I wouldn't have noticed on a lesser headphone but on the 650 it is night and day between how bad the modi 2 sounds compared to everything else.

**Edit** I take that back, the MRii sounds really really good. Better than my other DAC's. Listening to John Coltrane "Locomotion" and now I'm 100%. The Musicstreamer 2 plus, Lyr 2, and HD650 are a match made in heaven. I think I have arrived at my stopping point. I can die happy without any more gear.

May 12, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #25,101 of 46,514
May 12, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #25,102 of 46,514
Got HD650 a few days ago, it's amazing!!

May 12, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #25,103 of 46,514
  Got HD650 a few days ago, it's amazing!!

What are you pairing it with? Glad to hear you're enjoying. and welcome to a great thread and set of phones!

May 12, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #25,104 of 46,514
  What are you pairing it with? Glad to hear you're enjoying. and welcome to a great thread and set of phones!

I have HM901+dock-1 for player, Chord QBD76 for dec, and earmax silver for amp.

Also, I'm looking for a solid amp for my T1 and HD800, and suggestions?

prefer Schiit Ragnarok and  Bryston BHA-1 now, don't know how to choose.

May 12, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #25,105 of 46,514
  I have HM901+dock-1 for player, Chord QBD76 for dec, and earmax silver for amp.

Also, I'm looking for a solid amp for my T1 and HD800, and suggestions?

prefer Schiit Ragnarok and  Bryston BHA-1 now, don't know how to choose.

What's your sound preferences? I guess I'm now biased but if you're liking the 650 sound and have an 800 then an OTL amp might suit...

The BHA-1 is an amazing piece of kit otherwise, based on a 2-hour session at a friend's and based on comments from an active member on this thread. He may chime in :)

May 12, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #25,106 of 46,514
Depending on the DAC, if pairing with the Bryston, the HD800 can get a bit shrill for certain tracks.

May 12, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #25,107 of 46,514
  Depending on the DAC, if pairing with the Bryston, the HD800 can get a bit shrill for certain tracks.

Like Flash he appears :)

Tubey goodness then? Guess it all depends on taste and whether one wants to go down that path,,,

May 12, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #25,108 of 46,514
  What's your sound preferences? I guess I'm now biased but if you're liking the 650 sound and have an 800 then an OTL amp might suit...

The BHA-1 is an amazing piece of kit otherwise, based on a 2-hour session at a friend's and based on comments from an active member on this thread. He may chime in :)

I like a lot of music types. But for the T1 and HD800, I will use them for classic symphony music. Any ideas for Schiit Ragnarok? or maybe other solid amp.

May 12, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #25,109 of 46,514
I think I'm also looking for a new DAC. I'm about 99% happy with the sound I'm getting right now but there's a certain 'glare' I can hear on the treble and I think it's down to the ODAC.

I was originally going to go for the Modi 2 Uber as people have recommended it to me. However I don't think it's the way to go now & I'm considering either a Beresford Bushmaster 2 or Caiman 2.

May 12, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #25,110 of 46,514
  Like Flash he appears :)

Tubey goodness then? Guess it all depends on taste and whether one wants to go down that path,,,

biggrin.gif

Yea I can't resist commenting on the Bryston simply cause my buddy recently had brought it over and we A/Bed it in various combos between my Schiit Stack, the Byrston and the Emotiva Stealth DC-1. So just note that in general when I say bright I'm mostly meaning in reference to the M/G stack (cause it's the sound i know best). As well, I do know that I am a bit sensitive to peaky highs/mid highs hence my personal aural flaw is that I lean towards warmer and darker sounds.

Though hearing my buddy's Lyr and Crack, tube rolling does look appealing. (just not so much for the wallet)
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back