Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 13, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #24,211 of 46,564
Hey,

A little bit off topic. I'm still doubting about which headphones I would like the best and would fit the music I listen (mostly electronic, drum & bass, trance etc.) to the most. It's either senn HD650, HD600, beyer DT990 or DT880 (or something else that you might suggest and is a fairly popular set of cans so that it's easy to find used)...so I need your opinions. I would also consider the HiFiMan HE-400 or the HE-400i but I can't find them used (for a good price) in my country.

Thanks in advance for answers.

Something like the W1000X I suspect might suit you but am unsure what used ones go for these days or if they would be in your price range.

Edit missed the no closed can post, still nice sounding cans and easy to drive

Apr 13, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #24,212 of 46,564
Thanks for help.
I think I'll just go for the HD650, I have a great deal for them so even if I don't like them I'll be able to sell the for the same price or more.
And overal I like the most Sennheiser sound, although I find some Sennheiser cans lack a little bit of bass, but from what I've read the HD650's have a bit extra bass than most Sennheiser's. It should be good.

Apr 13, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #24,213 of 46,564
  Thanks for help.
I think I'll just go for the HD650, I have a great deal for them so even if I don't like them I'll be able to sell the for the same price or more.
And overal I like the most Sennheiser sound, although I find some Sennheiser cans lack a little bit of bass, but from what I've read the HD650's have a bit extra bass than most Sennheiser's. It should be good.

Some do, some don't (Amperior, Urbanite, Momentum, MOE, HD650, HD800)...

I am sure you will love them.

Apr 13, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #24,214 of 46,564
  I thought the HD650 could not possibly scale higher and sound better than what it already did through my NAD M51 > Mjolnir chain.

My Ragnarok arrived today. I'm listening to the HD650. This is stupid good. Wow.

I'm gonna pretend I didn't read that.

I had the opportunity to use my 600s on a Rag and said to myself, or maybe lied to myself, that from the Mjolnir or the Rag they sound the same.  Granted it was a quick listen, and nothing like fast swapping A/B style.  But I was relieved to come to that quick conclusion.

Lately the 600s and 800s collect dust.  650s are it.  And a little AKG 7xx from the Vali for the heck of it.  

Apr 13, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #24,215 of 46,564

I had the opportunity to use my 600s on a Rag and said to myself, or maybe lied to myself, that from the Mjolnir or the Rag they sound the same.  Granted it was a quick listen, and nothing like fast swapping A/B style.  But I was relieved to come to that quick conclusion.

Lately the 600s and 800s collect dust.  650s are it.  And a little AKG 7xx from the Vali for the heck of it.  

I find the HD 650's are it myself, as well as the K712(slightly modded) and the DT 150 as a complementary phones. The HD 600 is great and in some ways I like it more than the HD 650, but I prefer the HD 650 overall. 

Apr 13, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #24,216 of 46,564

Couldn't the 600s and 800s fund a Raggy?

Apr 13, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #24,218 of 46,564
I never really heard the 600 treble bump at about 3-4K until I was really comfortable with the 650.  Now I can't not hear it.  It's sort of like once you hear the Beyer bump, it never goes away.

Apr 13, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #24,219 of 46,564

Couldn't the 600s and 800s fund a Raggy?

I got more stuff here that I know what to do with, but I just can't bring myself to sell things.  And not in a hoarding way, in a lazy way, and in a way that it might be something I like again later.  I got 10 years worth of RC rock crawler trucks that fill two closets. 
rolleyes.gif

If anyone wants to show up at my front door with a Rag, I'll trade ya some 600s and 800s on the spot.  I'll throw in some RC trucks, too.

biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #24,220 of 46,564
  I never really heard the 600 treble bump at about 3-4K until I was really comfortable with the 650.  Now I can't not hear it.  It's sort of like once you hear the Beyer bump, it never goes away.

For me the 3-4k bump of the HD 600 is the very reason I got the HD 650, it was starting to irritate me. At least on the K712 I can easily mod it to smooth out the treble. Ah the Beyer bump, I haven't heard a Beyer without it, but I have come across Beyers I find tolerable. 

Apr 13, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #24,221 of 46,564
Well
Guys. I was wrong. Very wrong.

I thought the HD650 could not possibly scale higher and sound better than what it already did through my NAD M51 > Mjolnir chain.

My Ragnarok arrived today. I'm listening to the HD650. This is stupid good. Wow.
well schiit! XD

I look forward to trying one in the future. is the ragnarok a balanced amp?

Apr 13, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #24,224 of 46,564

This is an interesting comment, I have been on the fence of buying an HD650 as I am about to invest in an HD800 or HD700. I figured I would purchase a more high end headphone and stop chasing mid-fi and hoping it sounds hifi. 

Quick note, I want a headphone that is comfortable for hours as I will use it everyday for multiple hours for gaming, music, movies, youtube etc etc. I want an all-arounder that can do it all while being comfortable. All music will be from CD's or Tidal HIFI.

When I am listening to hip-hop, edm and others I have fidelio x1's, m50x's and beats studios. There headphones I am looking to purchase is more for other genres and the other items I mentioned.

Apr 13, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #24,225 of 46,564

I got more stuff here that I know what to do with, but I just can't bring myself to sell things.  And not in a hoarding way, in a lazy way, and in a way that it might be something I like again later.  I got 10 years worth of RC rock crawler trucks that fill two closets. 
rolleyes.gif

If anyone wants to show up at my front door with a Rag, I'll trade ya some 600s and 800s on the spot.  I'll throw in some RC trucks, too.

biggrin.gif

You seem a lot like me, can't sell things thinking I might want to listen to them in the future and just to lazy.  But since my girlfriend is new to headphones it makes it easier for me to "justify" keeping them for now.  I have a storage locker half full of speakers/amps/pre-amps/turn tables from the late 70's and 80's, only new item is Magnepan 1.6 speakers, other half is used for wine storage.  I could trade a half case vertical of Opus One for a Rag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back