Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 3, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #23,251 of 46,523

I'm tripping of the 650/Crack combo right now. It's a blast!

So I've heard :) 400 pages or so of glowing reviews. Comes with a Tung Sol 5998 as one of the tubes too - supposed to be the cat's a** - on crack even :)

Mar 3, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #23,252 of 46,523
I simply don't believe Sennheiser would change the headphones so late into it's life. And if they did I'm pretty sure they'd be telling us. Could it be new pads v old pads? Possibly. I suspect it's nothing more than expectation bias.

I was expecting them to sound identical. The new ones sound brighter to the point that they're almost fatiguing to my ears. Must be pad wear.

Mar 3, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #23,253 of 46,523
Well if  your new ones are fatiguing to your ears, I have an extra pair that is two years old, I can sell you!!!

Mar 3, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #23,255 of 46,523
Have not given it much thought, yet.  Will have to decide a fair price and shipping and post back.

Mar 3, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #23,256 of 46,523
Lol at the fixation over a difference in packaging. This thread is painful to read these days.

My concern about the box was that if they were putting it in a similar box like they use for the 558s (cheap with a plastic window) MAYBE they downgraded the new phones with cheaper parts.
Quality DOES change over time.

I can't stand people who criticize others here.

Mar 3, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #23,257 of 46,523

I simply don't believe Sennheiser would change the headphones so late into it's life. And if they did I'm pretty sure they'd be telling us. Could it be new pads v old pads? Possibly. I suspect it's nothing more than expectation bias.

I was expecting them to sound identical. The new ones sound brighter to the point that they're almost fatiguing to my ears. Must be pad wear.

Maybe the new 650's got "tweeked"
The AKG 601 & 701's were updated (tweeked) but they're calling them 612 & 712's now.

Last night I tested my Oppo Player with my Little Dot MKIII amp and found my favorite test Cd MUCH smoother and less harsh and bright with the new 650's.
However, since this was a Punk Album I think I prefer my Marantz CD Player as the brighter sound was more dynamic and exciting.
It was as though the Oppo smoothed everything out to be pleasing.

Mar 3, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #23,261 of 46,523

I can't stand people who criticize others here.

Haha! I hope that was intentional irony.

Actually it wasn't.
But it occurred to me right after I wrote it but I was too lazy to edit it.
How about...
I can't stand people who criticize other peoples questions here.
This is a friendly forum where people should feel welcome to ask any related question without getting snide remarks.

Mar 3, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #23,262 of 46,523
Actually it wasn't.
How about...
This is a friendly forum where people should feel welcome to ask any related question without getting snide remarks.

If you "can't stand people who criticize" and you call them "snide", then I'm afraid you're demonstrating the behavior that you criticize others for.

Mar 3, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #23,263 of 46,523

Actually it wasn't.
How about...

If you "can't stand people who criticize" and you call them "snide", then I'm afraid you're demonstrating the behavior that you criticize others for.

I already said I should have added "other peoples questions" to my response so why are you still using "can't stand people who criticize" only?

Look...people should be able to ask ANYTHING related to Audio here without being laughed at...CAPEESH!?

Mar 3, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #23,264 of 46,523
The guitar/midrange on this tune with the HD-650s is absolute bliss... the last two minutes in particular. (I also recommend the entire album if you're into slower stuff/nice guitar and vocals)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOj6nccS3ZQ

Mar 3, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #23,265 of 46,523
  What are some of the best portable amps for driving the HD650? I have an ADL Cruise and am not sure that it will be powerful enough.

I have a FiiO E11K and it's not bad, but I wouldn't recommend it for the HD-650. I had a chance to listen to someone else's FiiO E12 at a meet and that was a nicer sound - and, not much difference in price. Loved the build quality of the E12 (and the E11K, as well).

Overall, however, I would recommend a different set of cans for portable use, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back