Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 3, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #23,237 of 46,554
I doubt the sound difference is intentional, people buy the HD650/HD600 for their specific sound signature. Any changes would be too late, yes I agree.

Why too late? The HD650 might be around for anther decade or two. They are still making money with it. And each and every new can has to make it's stand against it....

Mar 3, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #23,238 of 46,554
True. I just found it interesting that people say the HD 650 is veiled. I can understand possibly the old black-driver HD 650's being called veiled, but not the silver-driver HD 650.

A correction is needed here:
I noticed alot of people are saying "black drivers" or "silver drivers" versions on here...
Its not the color of the actual drivers themselves.
The actual drivers themselves are all the same color, on both the new, as well as the older ones. It has never changed.
All of the duofol drivers, from the very beginning of HD600/650 production runs, has been a translucent clear color.
It is the damping screens around the outside of the drivers that are black or silver.
Correct me if I am wrong.

Mar 3, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #23,239 of 46,554
A correction is needed here:
I noticed alot of people are saying "black drivers" or "silver drivers" versions on here...
Its not the color of the actual drivers themselves.
The actual drivers themselves are all the same color, on both the new, as well as the older ones. It has never changed.
All of the duofol drivers, from the very beginning of HD600/650 production runs, has been a translucent clear color.
It is the damping screens around the outside of the drivers that are black or silver.
Correct me if I am wrong.

No correction needed as you are quite correct. I was merely using short-hand. That was probably a mistake given that so many people are still coming to the 650 for the first time and are unlikely to be aware af the back-story.

Mar 3, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #23,240 of 46,554
Yeah I know. Lol.
Anyway, these are truly excellent all around headphones.

Mar 3, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #23,241 of 46,554
Why too late? The HD650 might be around for anther decade or two. They are still making money with it. And each and every new can has to make it's stand against it....

Because to a lot of people the HD650 is not mid-fi but hi-fi. It offers a specific quality to the sound and both the users and Sennheiser know about this well. So I doubt Sennheiser will make any changes that will alter the sound signature.
That's of course my opinion, if they do change it later then it is how it is.

Mar 3, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #23,242 of 46,554
One week or so until my Crack + Speedball show up - supposed to be the pairing to breathe by. Ahhhh the waiting....

Mar 3, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #23,243 of 46,554
Brooko's HD600 vs HD650 review and what it sparked in other members made me curious to hear the HD650 again and I must say that I'm impressed now that I'm listening to it. The so called 'veil' and just about my complete former opinion that it's definitely too warm and bassy seems to get shot while I'm typing this. Many others have experienced and said it before but only now I'm getting it: (synergy with) the other gear is such a game changing aspect. My thoughts and beliefs about gear needs a revision.

What a heck of a fine hobby this is!
redface.gif

Mar 3, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #23,247 of 46,554
I HD650 s lehkým absorbující vrstvy, zatajení sluchátek je větší, horší zesilovač Snažil jsem HD650 a Audeze LCD2rev.2 a mohu říci, že jsou proti HD650 LCD jasných a podrobných sluchátka, to záleží na tom, co je dáno sluchátka jsou porovnávány

Mar 3, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #23,248 of 46,554
For those of you interested in pairing the Crack with your hd650/600 and don't feel comfortable with building it, I'll share my experience with a local Crack builder here in GA who comes highly recommended. Feel free to pm me for additional information.

Bottlehead Crack Built For YOU...

I have owned several Crack amps over the past five years. My affinity for the Sennheiser hd650 has put the Crack high on my list of favorite amps. It's a daunting task to find any amp that pairs nearly as well as the Crack for less than $1k. The BHC is essentially a custom amp catering to hd6x0 owners. The pairing is somewhat legendary in audio circles and justifiably so.

The problem with the Crack is that it comes as a kit and honestly, my soldering skills are fair at best. Enter your friendly Crack builder. For me, I was fortunate enough to discover a very nice guy who lived about three blocks from my house...small world. I found Rob through Audiogon. He has been building Crack amps and selling to those looking for a “pre-built” amp for quite a while. Unlike myself, Rob is very good with a soldering iron. Pull the top off one of Rob's builds and you'll see what I mean. Everything is done with precision, care and craftsmanship. All the solder points and wiring are spot on. The solder points are tested and retested. It's very much a professional build. The quality of the Rob's build becomes immediately apparent when you cue up the music.

Rob also adds some nice touches to the cosmetics. The bell and power transformer are painted a nice semi gloss black and the effect is high quality. The top plate is left in it's factory condition which makes a nice contrast to the black from the transformer. Rob also painted the silver ring around the driver tube black to match the transformer...a nice touch. The wood base is put together nicely with a light coat of walnut stain and poly applied. Again, it's the simple things that are done well here. There are no gaps or rough edges on the base and no drips or runs on the poly. A pair of right angle adapters for the RCA connections as well as a right angle power cord were included with the build.

For those of you looking for a pre-built Crack and don't want to buy a used Crack, then look no further...I can highly recommend the work that Rob does.

The end result. The amp that Rob built for me is just what I had hoped for, flawless. The background during playback is completely black. There are no odd hums or such coming from this Crack build. Just beautiful music with my hd650's.

Mar 3, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #23,249 of 46,554
Does Rob fancy moving to Sticksville, Scotland?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back