Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 22, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #23,026 of 46,564

Looks like i stepped on a few toes. What's the problem? When people get their knickers in a twist and resort to sarcasm, usually it means a nerve has been hit. What y'all trying to say? Are the HD600-650 precious to you, or are they the last word in headphones, is that what you're sayin? If not, then what? Could it be possibly that they're not perfect and far from it, and thus there are better (including cheaper) ones out there? Have i said something wrong in stating my opinion of these headphones. I find them far from ideal. I'll check again but i doubt my opinion will change.

It's like you went to a meetup group dedicated to fans of a thing and just go "eh, I don't really like that thing"

you didn't step on any toes, no hard feelings, it was just funny to us because what you did doesn't make any sense at all

Feb 22, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #23,028 of 46,564

Looks like i stepped on a few toes. What's the problem? When people get their knickers in a twist and resort to sarcasm, usually it means a nerve has been hit. What y'all trying to say? Are the HD600-650 precious to you, or are they the last word in headphones, is that what you're sayin? If not, then what? Could it be possibly that they're not perfect and far from it, and thus there are better (including cheaper) ones out there? Have i said something wrong in stating my opinion of these headphones. I find them far from ideal. I'll check again but i doubt my opinion will change.

It wasn't what you said, but the way you said it. Getting defensive about a hit and run post on a thread for cans you don't own and don't like seems even more pointless.

Feb 23, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #23,030 of 46,564

The reason why I said that is because your post can be misleading to a lot of new buyers who are looking into buying this headphone. Sure, you can argue that it's your opinion, freedom of speech etc etc. But when almost everyone disagrees with you then be prepared to take the heat.

And yes, you do need a proper amp to drive these. Although they sound good through my E07k, it really needs that extra oomph to shine and the difference is apparent no doubt. 30-40mW at 300ohms doesn't cut it imo, you need much more headroom. Either way I don't think you will be impressed with the 650's even with it paired through the balance outputs of an HDVD800.

Also, by looking at your profile and seeing you bash on extremely well regarded audio equipment by professionals and enthusiasts alike doesn't make you seem like a "perfectionist" at all but rather like a "pessimist". 

Feb 23, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #23,033 of 46,564
i posted that there's nothing wrong with your post about hd650. But you post it here, on hd650 thread, instead of say, on hd600 thread. or anywhere else.

It's opinion man. Opinion are like butts. Everybody have them.

You have access to a lot of ToTL headphones.., i'm sure many here here does too. Not everybody use hd650 because they can't afford anything else more expensive. That's a little presumptuous.

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #23,034 of 46,564
Nevertheless my 650's have been getting more playtime than my lcd-3. When properly amped they sound really wonderful!

Yes, let the playtime decide. I had the HD650 once. The only gripe for me was the cable. Got me a shorter aftermarket cable with 1.2 m and 3.5 mm plug. That was much better. But the aftermarket cable broke soon. Then the HD650 didn't get much head time any longer and got sold. Now I am on buying it again. This can does nothing wrong, a lot of things very good and has defined the market somehow.

Feb 23, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #23,035 of 46,564
I got fairly pleasing results from my e18 with the HD650'S if that's helpful. It was also pretty good for on the go iems.

The Fiio E18 can drive the HD650? 
basshead.gif

Feb 23, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #23,037 of 46,564

Thanks. I'm asking since I've already owned the E18 and am thinking to get the HD650 sometime this year. I was also looking through this thread some and noticed no one brought this desktop amp up:

NuForce Icon HDP:

https://www.nuforce.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=26&Itemid=189/

Anyone with any impressions of this combo'ed with the HD650?

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #23,038 of 46,564
  Thanks. I'm asking since I've already owned the E18 and am thinking to get the HD650 sometime this year. I was also looking through this thread some and noticed no one brought this desktop amp up:

NuForce Icon HDP:

https://www.nuforce.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=26&Itemid=189/

Anyone with any impressions of this combo'ed with the HD650?

I almost bought one of those but went for the O2 in the end. I don't regret it as I'm not a fan of some of NuForce's business practices. If you're looking for a desktop amp rather than a portable to be used with the 650 I can recommend the Project Polaris & the Project Ember. The Ember in particular is spectacular and single-handedly rekindled my faith in this hobby. I'm sure there are even better options but I haven't heard them.

Feb 23, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #23,039 of 46,564

I almost bought one of those but went for the O2 in the end. I don't regret it as I'm not a fan of some of NuForce's business practices. If you're looking for a desktop amp rather than a portable to be used with the 650 I can recommend the Project Polaris & the Project Ember. The Ember in particular is spectacular and single-handedly rekindled my faith in this hobby. I'm sure there are even better options but I haven't heard them.

I've been scouting tube amps as my next purchase - how do you find the Ember for details and warmth with the HD-650? My favourite sounds through these cans have been female vocals and acoustic guitars with some nice bass lines - would you say those shine with the Ember?

Feb 23, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #23,040 of 46,564
I went from the O2 to the Ember and everything improved, right across the board. I've since had the opportunity to compare the Ember to the Polaris and while the Polaris is good (better than the O2) the Ember is fabulous.

There's more air in the treble registers, the mids are even more luscious & the bass takes on real presence and weight. Superb!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back