Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 9, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #21,826 of 46,554
Just had a chance to try out the new earpads. Disappointingly, they're actually shallower than the original earpads. Comfort seems to be fine, and i think the opening might be slightly larger. With the new pads, treble seems much more prominent but bass impact is definitely lacking. They also sound more open, but in return some of the lushness of the midrange is lost. Overall, the new pads are drier and more neutral sounding than the originals. If anyone ever thought the hd650 was veiled, the ebay pads might actually be a good investment. However, I really enjoyed the lushness and musicality of the original pads and I'll probably be returning the new ones.

Jan 9, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #21,827 of 46,554

Early birthday present for myself and a good way to start(listen) the new year:)
Also came back from CES and I was happy to see, Sennheiser still pushing the HD650.
In their listening booth was two of them ,along an HD800 and the mighty Orpheus.(still prefer the HD650)

Jan 9, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #21,832 of 46,554

Early birthday present for myself and a good way to start(listen) the new year:)
Also came back from CES and I was happy to see, Sennheiser still pushing the HD650.
In their listening booth was two of them ,along an HD800 and the mighty Orpheus.(still prefer the HD650)

Did you really get a chance to compare the 650 to the Orpheus?

Jan 9, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #21,834 of 46,554
  Just had a chance to try out the new earpads. Disappointingly, they're actually shallower than the original earpads. Comfort seems to be fine, and i think the opening might be slightly larger. With the new pads, treble seems much more prominent but bass impact is definitely lacking. They also sound more open, but in return some of the lushness of the midrange is lost. Overall, the new pads are drier and more neutral sounding than the originals. If anyone ever thought the hd650 was veiled, the ebay pads might actually be a good investment. However, I really enjoyed the lushness and musicality of the original pads and I'll probably be returning the new ones.

Which pads were these new ones?  Ebay seller, Amazon...???  That doesn't sound like something I would enjoy.  I already have PLENTY of bright sounding headphones, I specifically got the 650 because its warm smoothness.

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #21,837 of 46,554
Did you really get a chance to compare the 650 to the Orpheus?

Yes :) and it wasn't my first time (4th).
But that environment it's not a perfect place for comparing open headphones,very noisy,people bumping into you and looking at you with googly eyes waiting for their turn.
I had the pleasure to listen to Norah Jones(Come Away with Me-album) it sounded beautiful on the Orpheus.
I feel lucky !:)
It looks beatiful too :)

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #21,839 of 46,554
  I want to upgrade the cable of my HD650. Any suggestions and do you think it'll improve the sound quality?

What is your amp/DAC setup?  You'll always see greater improvement upgrading one of those components, if they are substandard...

... but with that said, I'm a fan of silver plated copper (SPC)

Jan 10, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #21,840 of 46,554

Thanks very much for the review!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back