Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 8, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #20,866 of 46,514
  Being a night owl I enjoy late listening sessions immensely. Just me, headphones, music and my books / work. The HD650 comes into their own in these long quiet sessions IMO. I've only managed 2 hrs sleep due to work/study/running. Most of yesterday and today I had headphones on, and I don't feel the least bit tired. In many ways headphones are perfect companions to insomniacs. Make a long playlist of your favourite music and hit play... who cares about sleep.

For studying and Computer work, they are the PERFECT companion to late nights. I went to sleep at 430 am, woke up at 730. Listened all night while studying for finals.

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #20,867 of 46,514
Grats, hehe it's a slippery slope, watch out.
smily_headphones1.gif
the 650 was the first headphone i got back when it was still new on the market, still enjoying a lot it today. It doesnt distract me, it just let me focus on the music. Comfort and tonality is top notch, and it has nice crisp attack.

Hahaha Yeah, tell me about it!  I have been lurking in this thread, but now need to do a little more digging to figure out where to go from here.  I will probably have to thin out current herd of headphones as well...and figure out what to get the significant other to keep her pacified (though she will probably just hog these judging from her past "borrowing" habits)

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #20,868 of 46,514
Am I alone in being unable to read a book whilst listening to music? Music always wins out so I've given up reading & listening completely.

I find I can focus on reading with instrumental music. I'm in my own world. Sometimes vocal music can make it difficult. Conversely it helps me perk up if I'm working early in the morning or keep me going late at night. Depends on the circumstances really.

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #20,869 of 46,514
  For studying and Computer work, they are the PERFECT companion to late nights. I went to sleep at 430 am, woke up at 730. Listened all night while studying for finals.

430am is a good hour to get to sleep I find. A little before the rest of the world wakes up. You feel you've had the whole world to yourself and everyone is just coming to realise it.

Dec 8, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #20,871 of 46,514
The HD650 pads get really soft the more you use it. If you want to speed that up, remove the pads and gently wash in luke warm water, gently squeeze the pads (flat) and let it air dry. Be forewarned it does change the sound, less bass (booo) and a more expansive airier sound stage (yay). Not really worth the trade off in my opinion but an old pair of HD650 with worn pads and broken in headband are like a pair of fur lined slippers.

Dec 8, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #20,872 of 46,514

REEEEEally....

Bro, I'm still waiting 40+ years from when I got hooked, and it STILL hasn't happened! 
blink.gif

lol......

Well my hairdresser said today, do you wear a headband because she could see band like mark over the top of my head, true story just happen a few hours ago
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #20,873 of 46,514
Guys...336se has just been mess dropped for a song. Grabbbb one if u can't solder like me ;p

Dec 9, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #20,875 of 46,514
  Is the Darkvoice a good OTL choice?

i prefer it to my previous LDmk3, LDMk4se, Lyr ...there is that bloooommmm....
that magic with the.......hd650...that should get u goingg..lol

lots of BIG OLD tubes from ebay...inexpensive...usd 10 to 20bucks should make most happy.

i cant solder...so i cant do CRACK stuff... and that needs more coins too.

Dec 9, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #20,879 of 46,514
I was looking at those, but then I found the Maverick TubeMagic D1 Plus. Going to order one with the OPAMP upgrade/Tube upgrade. Looks like a lot more for the money @ 259 +25 for a DAC/AMP combo, it can push 300mw @ 600ohms cwhich compared to magnis 130 @ 600ohms. if you look at the impedance graphs, all the low end on the HD650 approaches that mark. Should be where you gain the most from upgraded amps. The magni looks like a good amp, it just doesnt look like a good amp to drive headphones who impedance reach towards the 600 mark like the HD650's do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back