Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 5, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #20,791 of 46,514
i dun remember my hd650 distorting in the sound..hmmmm.
maybe u need a tube amp after all :p

===========

there is a new AT can...MSR7.. coming

Dec 5, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #20,792 of 46,514
Struggled with crappy UPS for the entire afternoon and made several trips because they couldn't find my package.... but in the end, the HD650's are here!

The bass honestly sounds pretty sloppy atm, but I expect that to improve with burn in. Any advice on what things I should run for the burn in period?

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #20,793 of 46,514
  Struggled with crappy UPS for the entire afternoon and made several trips because they couldn't find my package.... but in the end, the HD650's are here!

The bass honestly sounds pretty sloppy atm, but I expect that to improve with burn in. Any advice on what things I should run for the burn in period?

Not that critical the music selection, but you don't need to get carried away with volume.  They'll change as will the way you perceive them.  Be patient and I think in a week or two you'll be a happy camper.  Doesn't mean you can't listen along the way...just be cautious jumping between cans in short order until you're accustomed to them.  I think you'll be a happy camper despite UPS's best intentions...

biggrin.gif

HS

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #20,794 of 46,514

Some people use pink noise I think. But since I don't care about the technicalities, I just lined up a couple 99-track classical compilation albums and let it go overnight and whatnot. Other than that, I just listen to the music I want and if I stop to take a break, I take the phones off but let them keep on playing while I place them around a thick pillow to help lessen the clamping force while I'm not using them.

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #20,795 of 46,514
Hell, and many other people would suggest that burn-in is most likely your brain getting used to a new sound signature and that takes a little time. I know that is what I feel. The notion of a speaker changing from use so much so that the character becomes significantly different, just feels like a huge stretch. Now your brain getting used to a new sound signature, now that makes sense. Anyway, I know, take it to the sound science forum ....

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #20,796 of 46,514
  Hell, and many other people would suggest that burn-in is most likely your brain getting used to a new sound signature and that takes a little time. I know that is what I feel. The notion of a speaker changing from use so much so that the character becomes significantly different, just feels like a huge stretch. Now your brain getting used to a new sound signature, now that makes sense. Anyway, I know, take it to the sound science forum ....

I'm burn-in agnostic, but if I wasn't going to be listening to them anyway, why not give it a try. Just in case.. 
wink.gif

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #20,797 of 46,514
My 650's sounded amazing right out of the box. They may have improved slightly with use but not sure. The change is not nearly enough to make someone like them that really dislikes them initially.

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #20,798 of 46,514

I would tend to agree with this idea.

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #20,799 of 46,514

I live in a large apartment complex and my UPS guy usually doesn't ring my door or leave a sticker, he just leaves it in the office. If I didn't track on line, I'd never know if it was delivered.

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #20,800 of 46,514
My 650's sounded amazing right out of the box. They may have improved slightly with use but not sure. The change is not nearly enough to make someone like them that really dislikes them initially.

I won't disagree so much as offer my personal experience.  I was pretty disappointed when I received my 650's and listened to them straight out of the box.  Especially after all the glowing reviews that described what I thought would be a sound signature that was ideal for my developing tastes.  .I wanted warm but I thought I bought gooey....too warm.  Something happened over the next  couple of weeks, with me putting them down most of the time to listen to my other cans.   At one point I recall putting them on, strongly considering selling them, and viola....wow, these aren't that bad.  Somehow the details were shinning through and that warm sound signature seemed to settle into a proper groove.

To this day I haven't a clue whether it was the equipment or my head.  I figure that academic arugment is right up there with genetics vs environment....both sides are right...LOL.

Jam on!  I'm listening to Kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue though my tube amp and I'm smilin'....

biggrin.gif

HS 

Dec 6, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #20,801 of 46,514

+1 same experience.  I think burn-in is more a brain burn-in than headphone, to tell you the truth I've never experienced headphones change for the better after 300+ hours they all sound the same as the first listen, however equipment I have.

Dec 6, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #20,802 of 46,514
is the earcups on hd650, hd600 and hd580
are exactly the same? same design and everything except for the grills ? for example if i put a hd650 driver in hd600
or hd580 it will be the exactly sound of the hd650?
I want to buy/build a frankenphone as I don't like the painting on hd650, is it better to use/have the cup of hd650 or it doesn't matter and just switch driver ?
and does all
those headphone weight the same ?

Dec 6, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #20,803 of 46,514
Speaking of Burn-in, here is one of my old post to proof that it's no brain burn-in here. It might depends on different design, material etc...
  I just tested something old but interesting which applies for woody headphones. Since I have 2 pairs of W1000X, 1 with over 500 hours and 1 brand new, so I took out them to test the burn-in process of typical woody headphones. Conclusion was that there are at least 2 stages of burn-in time. First was 48th hour mark to get rid of the cold, harsh sounds of new headphones. Second was at 100th hour mark, this is where you starting to get all the details and sweetness of woody sounds and also the final stage of burn-in process.

Properly I can test my A2000Xs too since I have 2 pairs as well XD. 1 with over 250 hours and 1 brand new.

I own WA6 with Sophia Princess 274B rectifier and 6GL7/6EM7 drivers with less than 100 hours. I tested with my Audio Technica Trio W1000X-W3000ANV-W5000. I found WA6 is quite a good match for typical Audio Technica's woody sounding but not so much with "A" and "AD" lines. I also found WA6 incredibly matching HD650 and AKG701~702.   

http://www.head-fi.org/t/485226/ath-w1000x-appreciation-thread/690#post_8855540

Also, the great thing about the HD600 & 650 is that it has so much headroom in amplification. The higher you go, the better the sound. Moving from Asgard to WA6 literally blew my mind

Dec 6, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #20,804 of 46,514
  Speaking of Burn-in, here is one of my old post to proof that it's no brain burn-in here. It might depends on different design, material etc...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/485226/ath-w1000x-appreciation-thread/690#post_8855540

Also, the great thing about the HD600 & 650 is that it has so much headroom in amplification. The higher you go, the better the sound. Moving from Asgard to WA6 literally blew my mind

I'm not sure about the testing procedure, I didn't have time now to read the thread you posted, but if the testing was done sighted you can't factor out expectation bias, which has been demonstrated in many well designed experiments to be a factor in how we perceive things. Not saying this is a fact, or explains your experience, but it is never reasonable to ignore the power of expectation bias either. People hate hearing about the blind test, and I get that, but there is very good rationale why the blind test is important. Hell I'm about to receive a $500 cable that is going to look gorgeous and I know darn well that I am really hoping (expecting it to sound good) so if I hear the improvements am I not just hearing what I expect to hear? You never hear anybody buy cables and post about the negative effects. Anyway, sorry, I really shouldn't go off on this tangent, I apologize. A few too many rye and gingers clouding my better judgment.

Dec 6, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #20,805 of 46,514
Welcome and congrats. Please see a post I made on this thread earlier regarding fixing the clamp force. It can be fixed and done safely. It would take ages for it to relax naturally. Since adjusting my hd650s they are infinitely easier to listen too.

Awesome, thanks Malfunkt. I kept them on a box and they did get a lot more comfortable. I think they can loosen up a bit but I can totally live with them. They are not spacious like my Beyers, just different.

I can listen to these forever it seems. Very accurate bass but not as strong as I would think. Maybe I'm a bass head, or maybe they will open up more. I only have about 10 hours so far...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back