Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 30, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #20,657 of 46,505
I know the topic has been covered a truly infinite number of times on the thread, but I keep getting the itch to buy a Crack and I have a few questions about it before pulling the trigger.

First of all, how much of a difference does Speedball really make on the sound? Beyond the fact that it quickens things up, is it well worth the price of the upgrade over the regular kit?

I've only rarely owned tube gear and never had anything tubey for more than a few months at a time, so I'm unaccustomed to the eccentricities of tube ownership and maintenance. What are some good values to look at for rolling to get the most out of the Crack/HD650 combo, assuming I'd like to tighten up the sound signature while still keeping things somewhat warm and euphonic like the HD650 is known for? Will the tubes need to be replaced at regular intervals, or will a good set last quite awhile?

Any comparisons to well-known solid-state and tube gear for the HD650 (like the Rega EAR, Stepdance, Lyr etc.) are welcome.

Nov 30, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #20,658 of 46,505
^^^I recently got a Crack+SB. Honestly it is good but its not life changing like some of you make it out to be. I still think its worth its cost ( if you buy used or on the special sale they had) and I am keeping mine for awhile since I am happy with it but not wowed. Personally I thought my old NFB10WM was easily better in balanced mode for around the same amount of money. Tubes should last a pretty long time I've had three different tube amps only once has a tube died on me. I say go ahead and try for yourself but dont expect crazy improvements.

Nov 30, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #20,659 of 46,505
I don't know if it's allowed by the forum rules but I'm selling my hd650, I've devotely loved them but black Friday made me prefer the hd700, just infatuation maybe? Anyway here my classified http://www.head-fi.org/t/744343/fs-hd650-mint-conditions-balanced-cable

This is none of my business so if you're put off by what I'm about to suggest, even though you didn't ask my opinion, I won't be offended.  Before selling my HD650s I'd wait a while if I were you.  I'm speaking from experience & from many other similar testimonies I've come across in this thread.  A few years ago when I bought the HD800 (which BTW I have since sold) I jumped to the conclusion that since it was an upgrade I no longer needed the HD650 & so I sold them.  It only took a week or so to realize that I had made a mistake & I began to really miss them.  Maybe you won't have the same reaction, hell I don't know, it's just that as I mentioned earlier I made that mistake & many others have testified to doing the same & missing the HD650 shortly after.  Unless you really need the money,  I would wait a bit and see if the HD700 becomes your "go to" HP or not.  Just trying to help/pass on a bit of experience.  Hope you enjoy your HD700. 
wink.gif

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #20,660 of 46,505
  ^^^I recently got a Crack+SB. Honestly it is good but its not life changing like some of you make it out to be. I still think its worth its cost ( if you buy used or on the special sale they had) and I am keeping mine for awhile since I am happy with it but not wowed. Personally I thought my old NFB10WM was easily better in balanced mode for around the same amount of money. Tubes should last a pretty long time I've had three different tube amps only once has a tube died on me. I say go ahead and try for yourself but dont expect crazy improvements.

According to their site the NFB10WM is USD780?

Dec 1, 2014 at 3:15 AM Post #20,661 of 46,505

What tubes are you using? This can make a very noticeable difference with the Crack. The ones that ship with it from Bottlehead are normally about as low budget and low-fi and as you can get!

Dec 1, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #20,662 of 46,505
I just picked up the HD650 for $340 (including tax) on Amazon ($315 stated price). How good of a deal is this? The HD650 had never really been on my radar before because I considered it out of my price range (to be honest, $340 still is out of my price range, and I'm considering cancelling the order), so I'm not sure what it usually goes for at "street" price.

For what it's worth, I also picked up the HD600 for $281 (including tax) on Amazon ($260 stated price).

I realize this thread is inherently skewed toward fans of the HD650, but for those who've tried the HD650 and/or HD600 and the Philips Fidelio X1, are the HD600/650 an upgrade over the X1? If so, by how much?

For context, I don't currently have an amp, and I'm willing to go up to around $130-$160 for one (I generally have the FiiOs in mind). Also, my music collection is almost exclusively 192-320kbps lossy music, NOT lossless, so would the HD600/650 be overkill? Or would they still be worth it, even for lossy music, especially when I already have the X1?

Dec 1, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #20,663 of 46,505

This is none of my business so if you're put off by what I'm about to suggest, even though you didn't ask my opinion, I won't be offended.  Before selling my HD650s I'd wait a while if I were you.  I'm speaking from experience & from many other similar testimonies I've come across in this thread.  A few years ago when I bought the HD800 (which BTW I have since sold) I jumped to the conclusion that since it was an upgrade I no longer needed the HD650 & so I sold them.  It only took a week or so to realize that I had made a mistake & I began to really miss them.  Maybe you won't have the same reaction, hell I don't know, it's just that as I mentioned earlier I made that mistake & many others have testified to doing the same & missing the HD650 shortly after.  Unless you really need the money,  I would wait a bit and see if the HD700 becomes your "go to" HP or not.  Just trying to help/pass on a bit of experience.  Hope you enjoy your HD700. 
wink.gif

You can add my name to those who got the HD800 and sold their HD650, only to regret it a few weeks later.

Dec 1, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #20,664 of 46,505
  I just picked up the HD650 for $340 (including tax) on Amazon ($315 stated price). How good of a deal is this? The HD650 had never really been on my radar before because I considered it out of my price range (to be honest, $340 still is out of my price range, and I'm considering cancelling the order), so I'm not sure what it usually goes for at "street" price.

For what it's worth, I also picked up the HD600 for $281 (including tax) on Amazon ($260 stated price).

I realize this thread is inherently skewed toward fans of the HD650, but for those who've tried the HD650 and/or HD600 and the Philips Fidelio X1, are the HD600/650 an upgrade over the X1? If so, by how much?

For context, I don't currently have an amp, and I'm willing to go up to around $130-$160 for one (I generally have the FiiOs in mind). Also, my music collection is almost exclusively 192-320kbps lossy music, NOT lossless, so would the HD600/650 be overkill? Or would they still be worth it, even for lossy music, especially when I already have the X1?

I would tend to say you would probably be perfectly happy just using the X1. The Senns would be an upgrade to most but only you can really answer that question. I am going to have to check out Amazon, those are pretty good prices on the HD650 and as stated in another post, I have been missing mine and trying real hard not to give in.

Dec 1, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #20,665 of 46,505
  I know the topic has been covered a truly infinite number of times on the thread, but I keep getting the itch to buy a Crack and I have a few questions about it before pulling the trigger.

First of all, how much of a difference does Speedball really make on the sound? Beyond the fact that it quickens things up, is it well worth the price of the upgrade over the regular kit?

I've only rarely owned tube gear and never had anything tubey for more than a few months at a time, so I'm unaccustomed to the eccentricities of tube ownership and maintenance. What are some good values to look at for rolling to get the most out of the Crack/HD650 combo, assuming I'd like to tighten up the sound signature while still keeping things somewhat warm and euphonic like the HD650 is known for? Will the tubes need to be replaced at regular intervals, or will a good set last quite awhile?

Any comparisons to well-known solid-state and tube gear for the HD650 (like the Rega EAR, Stepdance, Lyr etc.) are welcome.

IMO...the sb is the biggest upgrade to the Crack. Tubes would be a close second. And the pot would be third. I often hear people worried about tubes but this is mostly unjustified. If you start with a good tube and take care when rolling other tubes, it will likely last the lifetime of the amp. Or at least 4-5k hours. They are easy to change and actually pretty resilient when you consider that many of us are rolling tubes that are 30, 40, 50+ years old. 

I would not hesitate pulling the trigger on the Crack. It remains one of the most impressive amps for the hd6x0 ever. ymmv

Dec 1, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #20,666 of 46,505
This is none of my business so if you're put off by what I'm about to suggest, even though you didn't ask my opinion, I won't be offended.  Before selling my HD650s I'd wait a while if I were you.  I'm speaking from experience & from many other similar testimonies I've come across in this thread.  A few years ago when I bought the HD800 (which BTW I have since sold) I jumped to the conclusion that since it was an upgrade I no longer needed the HD650 & so I sold them.  It only took a week or so to realize that I had made a mistake & I began to really miss them.  Maybe you won't have the same reaction, hell I don't know, it's just that as I mentioned earlier I made that mistake & many others have testified to doing the same & missing the HD650 shortly after.  Unless you really need the money,  I would wait a bit and see if the HD700 becomes your "go to" HP or not.  Just trying to help/pass on a bit of experience.  Hope you enjoy your HD700. :wink:

Thanks for your advice, this is a love/hate relationship that is going on for a while, and I already bought the hd650 twice in my young life. But the more I get old and passionate about hi fi, the more I need refinement (hd700/800), the more I need resources to update my equipment! Again thanks for your concern!

Dec 1, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #20,667 of 46,505
You can add my name to those who got the HD800 and sold their HD650, only to regret it a few weeks later.

Me too. The resolution of the HD800 is impressive at first but it's pretty soul-less over the long term.

Dec 1, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #20,669 of 46,505
Originally Posted by nway /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Though that's a pretty good deal, I think you're better off pacing yourself and upgrading your entire setup with time, especially if the purchase of the HD650 is a monetary strain. There's not much (if anything) in the $150 range that will drive the HD650 to anywhere near its full potential, and you seem to enjoy what you already have. Take small steps and make upgrades over time when you have the money and desire instead of throwing everything into one pot and leaving little budget left for an amp.

In my opinion, you're probably better off buying the HD600 at the price you stated and using the money left over to get a better amp than what you were looking at.

Dec 1, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #20,670 of 46,505

Do you find the Crack+SB sluggish compared to the NFB10WM, or does it keep up the pace pretty well? I'm looking for something that'll quicken up my HD650s a bit and add some slam, but my current SS gear is obscure enough that I can't find any reliable comparisons between it and any common headphone amps.

IMO...the sb is the biggest upgrade to the Crack. Tubes would be a close second. And the pot would be third. I often hear people worried about tubes but this is mostly unjustified. If you start with a good tube and take care when rolling other tubes, it will likely last the lifetime of the amp. Or at least 4-5k hours. They are easy to change and actually pretty resilient when you consider that many of us are rolling tubes that are 30, 40, 50+ years old. 

I would not hesitate pulling the trigger on the Crack. It remains one of the most impressive amps for the hd6x0 ever. ymmv

What are some good tubes to start with? I'm completely unversed in the world of tube rolling, and I would have no clue where to start with the Crack. If I spring for SB my tube budget will probably be fairly limited, so I'm looking for good values instead of objective bests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back