Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 30, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #20,641 of 46,564

Not long ago I replaced my Marantz cd player.  Not as wide of a choice as there used to be.  I wanted one just to be a transport into my Schitt Bifrost, and am very satisfied with the solid, well-built Onkyo C-7030.
I tried the Parasound ZCD, but it had annoying mechanical noise and slow loading time, and I returned it to the dealer.  The Onkyo is superior, and available for around $170 USD.

Can I ask which Marantz model you had and what made you replace it? I've been eyeing the CD6005. The Onkyo looks like another very solid choice and at a lower price point, so I'll definitely consider it thanks. It being quiet is definitely a plus.
I'll most likely connect it to my dac > heaphone amp / desktop speakers.

The PC is great, but can get distracting. With a Cd player, I envisage just the music, the HD650 and me.

Nov 30, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #20,644 of 46,564

Can I ask which Marantz model you had and what made you replace it? I've been eyeing the CD6005. The Onkyo looks like another very solid choice and at a lower price point, so I'll definitely consider it thanks. It being quiet is definitely a plus.
I'll most likely connect it to my dac > heaphone amp / desktop speakers.

The PC is great, but can get distracting. With a Cd player, I envisage just the music, the HD650 and me.

It was the CD67SE, which was very good for its time, and I had it for almost 20 years, I think!  Eventually it just broke/stopped working.  But for the last few years, I had it running via coax to an external DAC, and the sound was better.

Nov 30, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #20,645 of 46,564
HD650 on sale for 314.99

http://www.adorama.com/SEHD650.html?emailprice=t&utm_term=Other&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=cj_227502&cvosrc=affiliate.cj.227502

Better act fast if your thinking about picking up a pair!

Nov 30, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #20,646 of 46,564
Nov 30, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #20,649 of 46,564
I'm saving up to buy a CD player. Great bargains can be had on CDs these days. I definitely think it's worthwhile.

While there aren't many CD players made any more, the quality is very high. I got my Moon 260D Neo about 6 months ago and it's as good as the top reference units of ten years ago.

Nov 30, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #20,651 of 46,564
Good to hear! I still listen to CD's too.

I still buy CDs, but I rip them right away to my computer. I figure unless you spend mega bucks on a transport, a computer hard drive is likely to be as good a transport as most affordable CD players. I used to spend moderate money on good CD players (Rega Apollo, Audiolab 8200), but once I realized what the computer and an external DAC were capable of, there is no turning back for me.

Nov 30, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #20,652 of 46,564

I still buy CDs, but I rip them right away to my computer. I figure unless you spend mega bucks on a transport, a computer hard drive is likely to be as good a transport as most affordable CD players. I used to spend moderate money on good CD players (Rega Apollo, Audiolab 8200), but once I realized what the computer and an external DAC were capable of, there is no turning back for me.

I also was quiet surprised here when I switched to a network player a Marantz NA7004, its dac section showed up all the short comings of the other digital sources in the house it was a bit of a eye opener. I keep eying up new dacs but its signature really suits the music I listen to. I would probably even get another for my other system if a used one came along at a fair price. The head out is reasonably competent to boot I lived with it for a year with my HD 650's before venturing into dedicated head amp territory.   

Nov 30, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #20,653 of 46,564

I also was quiet surprised here when I switched to a network player a Marantz NA7004, its dac section showed up all the short comings of the other digital sources in the house it was a bit of a eye opener. I keep eying up new dacs but its signature really suits the music I listen to. I would probably even get another for my other system if a used one came along at a fair price. The head out is reasonably competent to boot I lived with it for a year with my HD 650's before venturing into dedicated head amp territory.   

I have always enjoyed Marantz gear. I find even their entry level, inexpensive consumer lines still are sonically solid. High-end Marantz gear is supposed to be quite the treat.

Nov 30, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #20,654 of 46,564
I don't know if it's allowed by the forum rules but I'm selling my hd650, I've devotely loved them but black Friday made me prefer the hd700, just infatuation maybe? Anyway here my classified http://www.head-fi.org/t/744343/fs-hd650-mint-conditions-balanced-cable

Nov 30, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #20,655 of 46,564
Damn you all. You've forced my hand & sent me to the one way cupboard. The place where my old electronics go & never return from. The only CD player I have also happens to be a Marantz, albeit a relatively low-end example of about 14 years vintage. It's a CD6000OSE but I can't find the remote so AB'ing with my O2 will have to wait. The dust on this thing was incredible!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back