Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 29, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #20,626 of 46,565
I respect your experience but using just one amp will not give you a proper insight into a headphones performance.

When I had the HD650's, with Silver Dragon cable, I did not have the system I have now but I managed to get a balanced HD650 to try last year in my current system.

It was the best I have ever heard them but they were still soundly beaten in most areas by all my other phones.
I have heard the Hd650's through a number of different systems now and although I enjoyed then when I had then, my standards are much higher now, they are just weak in too many areas.

The Senn amp is what works best with the 650's but I spent two years with the LCD 2.2's and then a year with the LCD3's and tried a wide variety of amps including balanced, solid state and tube. I finally figured out they just weren't going to happen for me.

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #20,627 of 46,565
  Thanks for all the recommendations everyone. I just want to point out though, I am not really looking for an upgrade. I just want to find a can that will let me listen to some of my favorite genres of music in peace, without having myself complaining about the horrible sibilance in vocals and ear fatigue. I am just kind of sad, because while I don't regret my past purchases, all of them are too bright (or too good) for my young ear.

Without knowing what you are listening to, I have to point out that a great deal of modern music is quite poorly recorded and regardless of the headphone you use, it should sound like ass. If your young, your hearing is likely to be excellent and it shouldn't be a surprise that much of what you hear sucks, it sucked at the mastering level. It is made worse if you are using lower bitrate mp3s from a smartphone. You of course can get decent enough sound from a smartphone, but it isn't a given that you will. The amps in them are okay and they strain when you push them and the dacs are usually so so. That said, my Z10 with the FiiO E12 sounds pretty good overall. I would suggest that you learn about using a parametric EQ ad make sure that you learn how to attenuate the upper frequencies that are punishing your ears. If you are mostly a portable user then consider putting Neutron as your music player on your phone (if you are using a phone) as it has audiophile sound including control of dither and a very well done parametric EQ.

In the end your headphone and amp can only work with what you feed it right? So if you like edgy material and you like it louder (I don't know if you do or not) then you need to find a way to deal with that and really there isn't much to do beyond a gentle, well thought out and tested parametric EQ cut.

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #20,628 of 46,565
  Thanks for all the recommendations everyone. I just want to point out though, I am not really looking for an upgrade. I just want to find a can that will let me listen to some of my favorite genres of music in peace, without having myself complaining about the horrible sibilance in vocals and ear fatigue. I am just kind of sad, because while I don't regret my past purchases, all of them are too bright (or too good) for my young ear.

The HD650 is more forgiving with less then stellar recordings.  I think its because of the smoothness of the HD650.  The HD25 is the same way...

....of course $400 also buys a lot of well mastered music too.

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #20,629 of 46,565
We can argue about the technical superiority of other headphones vs. the HD650s.  It's all true, many headphones have better technology and specifications than the 650s.

However, it doesn't necessarily mean the 650s automatically sound worse.  

For example, vinyl records are technically inferior to 24/192 lossless files played back through a 32 bit DAC with cryo treated cables dipped in unicorn tears.  But, many people prefer the sound of vinyl records.

Transistors are technically superior to vacuum tubes. Op-amps have better noise and distortion numbers than FETs.  However, many people prefer the sounds of the older technologies.

That's because all the technicalities in the audio world have the same purpose--make analog sound waves.

Some do it better than others.  It's all about preference of the sound waves made.

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #20,630 of 46,565
Thanks for the info. I see that you own a pair of Sony Z7. May I please ask for some comparisons between HD650, if you don't mind? Thanks. 

The HD650 is more forgiving with less then stellar recordings.  I think its because of the smoothness of the HD650.  The HD25 is the same way...

....of course $400 also buys a lot of well mastered music too.

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #20,631 of 46,565
  We can argue about the technical superiority of other headphones vs. the HD650s.  It's all true, many headphones have better technology and specifications than the 650s.

However, it doesn't necessarily mean the 650s automatically sound worse.  

For example, vinyl records are technically inferior to 24/192 lossless files played back through a 32 bit DAC with cryo treated cables dipped in unicorn tears.  But, many people prefer the sound of vinyl records.

Transistors are technically superior to vacuum tubes. Op-amps have better noise and distortion numbers than FETs.  However, many people prefer the sounds of the older technologies.

That's because all the technicalities in the audio world have the same purpose--make analog sound waves.

Some do it better than others.  It's all about preference of the sound waves made.

Bingo!  

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #20,632 of 46,565

I personally think you would prefer the HD 650 for what you described.  I own the 650, the Z7 and I am using a Woo WA7 (I own a few other cans as well and you might also want to consider the AT M50x if you're OK with a V shaped sound signature which I think w/ your musical tastes might could work...dunno).  Please note that I'm now using the DAC section of the Beresford Caiman MkII vs the Woo, but I've gone back and forth between the two and I don't believe my response to you would change.  I suggest you go with the HD 650 out of the two cans assuming you are OK from a comfort perspective with the HD 650's.  They have velour pads (vs the soft leather on the Sony's) and they can clamp a bit much on my big head although there was a great thread linked yesterday here that is good for adjusting them...I bet you won't even need to.  I do find the velour gets warm at times, though, but I live in a warmer clime and I tend to need AC most the time.

While the Z7 is a great headphone for what it is, and it truly excels over the 650 in construction and comfort for me, the 650 is the more forgiving headphone IMO.  It's also less money and there have been some great deals on purchasing them recently.  So, overall, the 650's offer good sound, are more forgiving and are less expensive...that's the word straight from Texas 
biggrin.gif

Best of luck with your search.

HS

Nov 29, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #20,633 of 46,565
  Thanks for the info. I see that you own a pair of Sony Z7. May I please ask for some comparisons between HD650, if you don't mind? Thanks. 

I agree with HemiSam.  The HD650's smoothness lends itself well to "questionable" recordings.

The Z7 extends further in treble and bass, and has a better bass kick.  But it is a bit choppy through the frequency ranges.  And it might be my worse headphone with bad recordings.  It obviously isolates where the HD650 does not, but that doesn't stop it from having lovely soundstage.  I would consider the HD650 warmer, but not by much.

If you were searching for a headphone that shares more sound characteristics with the HD650, check out the ZMF Blackwood.  But I never tested it with inferior recordings, so I can't comment on how forgiving it is....

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #20,635 of 46,565

A+ Nice setup.  Like it. 
L3000.gif

thanks! Always appreciate a compliment!
smily_headphones1.gif
would love to see your rig as well!
smily_headphones1.gif

Pictures aren't very clear & they're also reversed because I've taken them with my MacBook Pro "mirror camera".  I don't have a digital camera & I'm not technically inclined hence the reason I still listen to CDs as oppose to iTunes or music on the computer.  

First picture is, from the top down : HeadAmp GS-1 (soon to be updated w/mk 2 modules), Teac PD-H600 (w/Burr Brown PCM1796 D/A converter, a 192kHz/24-bit component), Teac SACD/CD 2000 (w/192kHz/24-bit D/A converter (CS4398) and meticulously designed output stage boasting dynamic range over 100dB and signal to noise over 110dB), Vintage Kenwood KA-8006 Integrated Amplifier, 1974 (70wpc)

Second picture is, Senns HD600, HD650 & Shure SRH1540

Third picture is, approx. 3/4th of my CD collection.

I also have a pair of Totem Rainmaker bookshelf speakers which are put away because I mostly listen to my HPs.

Nov 30, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #20,640 of 46,565
  I'm saving up to buy a CD player. Great bargains can be had on CDs these days. I definitely think it's worthwhile.

Not long ago I replaced my Marantz cd player.  Not as wide of a choice as there used to be.  I wanted one just to be a transport into my Schitt Bifrost, and am very satisfied with the solid, well-built Onkyo C-7030.
I tried the Parasound ZCD, but it had annoying mechanical noise and slow loading time, and I returned it to the dealer.  The Onkyo is superior, and available for around $170 USD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back