Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 22, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #20,492 of 46,514
The nice thing with the Crack is that it has a tried and tested upgrade path which is supported by members on the BH forum which can take well beyond the stock version performance.  Its possible to make improvements piece meal over time as funds allow, a film cap here a attenuator there some silver signal wiring etc.  Its both easy, fun and rewarding to experiment with and I expect this one of the reasons it has been so popular is because of its adaptability to suit personal tastes be it via tube rolling or modifying.

Nov 22, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #20,493 of 46,514
  The nice thing with the Crack is that it has a tried and tested upgrade path which is supported by members on the BH forum which can take well beyond the stock version performance.  Its possible to make improvements piece meal over time as funds allow, a film cap here a attenuator there some silver signal wiring etc.  Its both easy, fun and rewarding to experiment with and I expect this one of the reasons it has been so popular is because of its adaptability to suit personal tastes be it via tube rolling or modifying.

I know that I have been thinking about this kit for years and someday I suspect I will take the next step and start making it. Your point about the innovative and ongoing development through the Crack community is dead on. I spent only a few hours on the site early this year and I was stunned by how much information there was. It seems like this kit gives you endless opportunities to tinker and refine.  I wonder how powerful the amp can be made?

Nov 22, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #20,494 of 46,514

I know that I have been thinking about this kit for years and someday I suspect I will take the next step and start making it. Your point about the innovative and ongoing development through the Crack community is dead on. I spent only a few hours on the site early this year and I was stunned by how much information there was. It seems like this kit gives you endless opportunities to tinker and refine.  I wonder how powerful the amp can be made?

Well it drives a T1 and HD800 quite nicely...

Nov 22, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #20,495 of 46,514

Well it drives a T1 and HD800 quite nicely...

Neither of those are hard to drive headphones to the best of my knowledge. Now driving well may be a different story, but that is another conversation.

Nov 22, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #20,497 of 46,514

Neither of those are hard to drive headphones to the best of my knowledge. Now driving well may be a different story, but that is another conversation.

I kindly disagree.  Though neither are an HE-6, both need to be well driven to perform to sonic bliss, and both are unpleasant to listen to when not properly "pushed".  I'm not saying they need piles of watts like planars need.  But there's more to it then that.  Its a balance of watts, volts, amps and ohms, that those headphones need....

So far I'm not a giant Crack fan, but I'm for sure in the minority....

Nov 22, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #20,498 of 46,514

I kindly disagree.  Though neither are an HE-6, both need to be well driven to perform to sonic bliss, and both are unpleasant to listen to when not properly "pushed".  I'm not saying they need piles of watts like planars need.  But there's more to it then that.  Its a balance of watts, volts, amps and ohms, that those headphones need....

So far I'm not a giant Crack fan, but I'm for sure in the minority....

Certainly we agree in that just focusing on raw power output is only a part of the well-driven puzzle. I should have been more qualified in my post and added easy to drive relative to more difficult to drive cans such as the HE6 which you rightly mention. Cheers.

Nov 22, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #20,499 of 46,514
I added some Fischer audio Fa003 pads to my Hd650 and the comfort went through the roof! I took a old pair of pads, cut the ring off the back and then placed the fischer pads on them, added some glue and there we go!

Nov 22, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #20,500 of 46,514
Can someone who's used a Crack comment on whether it's possible to get close to the Crack sound via EQ? If not then how far away is it?

Nov 22, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #20,502 of 46,514
Painful question here. I've been hearing a lot about the smoothness of the 650s, as well as their warm tone and rich mids. However, as much as I enjoy jazz, I'm wondering if these cans'll such the energy out of the music. A lot of jazz I listen to is fusion, or very high energy, and when I look to get headphones, I want something that'll mingle well with my music taste. Not only do I listen to a ton of jazz, but I'm also a massive fan of Yes's old stuff, like Roundabout and Heart of the Sunrise, as well as old Kansas, like Song for America and Wayward Son. I need to know of the HD650 can keep up with the crazy energy of my music, which will ultimately get a decision out of me.
I don't doubt the quality of sound, nor the distortion, response, or anything else, I'm just doing all the research I can to find out what'll end my hunt for the best (affordable) set of headphones on the market that suit my taste and stop me from trying to buy anything more expensive or similarly priced.

Thankee

Nov 22, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #20,503 of 46,514
Painful question here. I've been hearing a lot about the smoothness of the 650s, as well as their warm tone and rich mids. However, as much as I enjoy jazz, I'm wondering if these cans'll such the energy out of the music. A lot of jazz I listen to is fusion, or very high energy, and when I look to get headphones, I want something that'll mingle well with my music taste. Not only do I listen to a ton of jazz, but I'm also a massive fan of Yes's old stuff, like Roundabout and Heart of the Sunrise, as well as old Kansas, like Song for America and Wayward Son. I need to know of the HD650 can keep up with the crazy energy of my music, which will ultimately get a decision out of me.
I don't doubt the quality of sound, nor the distortion, response, or anything else, I'm just doing all the research I can to find out what'll end my hunt for the best (affordable) set of headphones on the market that suit my taste and stop me from trying to buy anything more expensive or similarly priced.

Thankee
[/quote650 and hifiman 400i best hp under $500

Nov 22, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #20,504 of 46,514
I like jazz and a fan of old Yes albums myself, have miriads editions of them but feel that I really need HD800 to enjoy them most. And yes I used to own HD650 but unfortunately never heard them with the Crack yet. But I recently tried them with LIO and they can't do what I want even with such expensive setup

Nov 22, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #20,505 of 46,514

Thankee

The HD650 is not bad with Jazz, but I doubt it would be any better than your DT990. IMO Jazz benefits greatly from Soundstage, and from memory I think the DT990 has bigger & wider soundstage than the HD650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back