Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 4, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #20,179 of 46,553

There is noway that you own a tube amp and you never tube roll.

-1. Count me among the owner/non-rollers.

-1000000000000000000000000000 How do you removed your tubes?
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #20,183 of 46,553
Haha the thing with a tube amp is I wanna see the tubes haha. Hmm I might reconsider the LD MKIII. Asgard 2 is looking appealing though.

Wow...shipping time and cost with David for the LittleDot. Maybe I need to stop buying audio gear....hard to decide what to do, because if I get interference/noise it'll cost so much to ship back to China.

(must resist buying on a whim)

I'll think it over for a couple weeks I think haha. Thanks for everyone that put in their input.

If you buy it used and dont like it just sell it on. That's how I enjoy this habit without breaking the bank. If you get a great used deal you'll always make your money back when you sell it on.

Nov 4, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #20,185 of 46,553
Got the crack+speedball in today, and my first impressions are very positive. I was expecting it to sound a lot more like a tube amp than the lyr, but it actually sounds tighter and cleaner than the lyr does. Bass is very tight and controlled, and the mids are incredible. It definitely has a much blacker background than the lyr, and the soundstage is great. This thing is dead quite when music isn't playing. I'll have to keep listening, but overall i'd say it's a definite improvement over the lyr for the 650s.

Edit: just replaced the stock tube with the 5998 and listening to this thing is pure bliss now. The 5998 adds a bit of punch to the bass and also makes the mids a bit lusher. I can confidently say that I've never heard the 650s sound this good before.

Nov 4, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #20,186 of 46,553
  Got the crack+speedball in today, and my first impressions are very positive. I was expecting it to sound a lot more like a tube amp than the lyr, but it actually sounds tighter and cleaner than the lyr does. Bass is very tight and controlled, and the mids are incredible. It definitely has a much blacker background than the lyr, and the soundstage is great. This thing is dead quite when music isn't playing. I'll have to keep listening, but overall i'd say it's a definite improvement over the lyr for the 650s.

Congrats!

The CRACK/SPEEDBALL made my LD MK III sound thin.

Nov 5, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #20,189 of 46,553
Took a little tour of the (open) planar world for the past few months after I sold my first HD650 (after nearly a year of ownership).

I bought the HE-560.. loved it..

..then the LCD-2 (w/ Fazor).. and loved it, as well.

Despite the excellent technical abilities and even handed tuning of those two planars, I still found myself yearning for the HD650.  So, I sold them both and bought the beloved HD650.. again.

It arrived today and I couldn't be happier with my choice.  I still love and miss aspects of the 560 & LCD-2F.. but there's something about the HD650 that I can't seem to ever spend too much time away from.  Toss an excellent solid state amp or well designed tube amp at it and it'll wow the pants off you.. over and over again.

Nov 6, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #20,190 of 46,553
.. but there's something about the HD650 that I can't seem to ever spend too much time away from.

... it's called comfort. Seriously never fatiguing and once broken in feels great on the head. Also, it just has an element of naturalness that nothing else can touch. Fakcing magical headphone!

Lol, I just sold my HD650 for the 2nd time now, I have just tried: LCD2F, X1, K712, Q701, HE500, HD598 and some others I can't remember. The LCD2 are going up for sale tomorrow, and I am going to purchase another pair of HD650s. 

I wish senn would an HD750 or something. Same sound with better soundstage, slightly improved imaging, tighter/solid bass quality and just a smidge more low bass. I would buy 2....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back