Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 19, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #18,946 of 46,514
Been spending some time with the HD650 after I'd lent them to a family member. Back enjoying them very much. My ideal headphone for study and lying in bed. A wonderful contrast in sound to my other headphones.  

It took a while to get used to the clamp at first. However, recently I noticed I prefer the hd650's fit over the T1. The latter is by no means uncomfortable, but it is looser which does not fit my head so well, and I keep needing to adjust. I think I prefer the slightly more snug clamp of the HD650. Having said that, I have no issues with the audio technica headband which many in this forum seem to. 
biggrin.gif

Edit: typo

Aug 19, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #18,947 of 46,514
  Been spending some time with the HD650 after I'd lent them to a family member. Back enjoying them very much. My ideal headphone for study and lying in bed. A wonderful contrast in sound to my other headphones.  

It took a while to get used to the clamp at first. However, recently I noticed I prefer the hd650's fit over the T1. The latter is by no means uncomfortable, but it is looser which not fit my head so well, and I keep needing to adjust. I think I prefer the slightly more snug clamp of the HD650. Having said that, I have no issues with the audio technica headband which many in this forum seem to. 
biggrin.gif

Exactly my experience when I had the T1! Constant re-adjustment every now and then...

Aug 19, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #18,950 of 46,514
Yep, I tried adjust the Senn when I first got it. Don't think I changed anything due to my cautiousness. The clamp loosened sometime between then and the headphones being used. The fit, as I said, is pretty much perfect at the moment 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 19, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #18,951 of 46,514
I wish I'd known that before I wasted money on the Qs; ridiculous OTT reviews of Q about the time my HD650s arrived generated an itch that I finally scratched.
Lesson:
If it itches, don't scratch it!

I went the other way. I bought the Q's and really tried to like them but to no avail. I bought the 650 and it's night & day better in every way.

Aug 20, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #18,952 of 46,514
I love how these are so forgiving of bad recordings. They actually make them sound good.

Aug 20, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #18,954 of 46,514
  I'am about to purchased this headphone(HD650)how is it compared to DT880 600 ohms?
My source will be Laptop,TEAC UD H01,Bottlehead Crack and Littledot MK III for this headphone.THANKS!

More boomy bass overall, better presence from midbass to midrange (think vocals), more polite treble, less subbass, shallower image/soundstage, making a more intimate feel.

Aug 20, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #18,955 of 46,514

I'am about to purchased this headphone(HD650)how is it compared to DT880 600 ohms?
My source will be Laptop,TEAC UD H01,Bottlehead Crack and Littledot MK III for this headphone.THANKS!

More boomy bass overall, better presence from midbass to midrange (think vocals), more polite treble, less subbass, shallower image/soundstage, making a more intimate feel.

How i wish it have the Q's large soundstage i love large soundstage and bright sound signature.Thanks! 

Aug 21, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #18,959 of 46,514
Hi all. Due to a new addition to the family, my headphone days are sadly over. I've put my SB'd cap-modded Crack, my HD650s and a couple of tubes (GEC brown base & TS 5998) on eBay UK. They're all pretty cheap. 200 quid for the Crack. 90 for the phones. 40 for the tubes. They've just got to make way. Pretty gutted to be honest as the SB Crack + GEC & E80CC + HD650s are basically the best I've ever heard music but yeah, a bittersweet feeling, I suppose.

Aug 21, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #18,960 of 46,514
I still am a fan of the HD650...Still one of the most tonally accurate cans to my ears.

All this talk of the treble being too muted is a load of crap in context to a reality based reference.

Of all the headphones I own the HD650 is exacto (the most correct) with treble levels when I reference the percussion and imaging test track....coming from a drumming background with lots of cymbal experience.

I can't stand how Senheisser turned its back on THE sound that MADE IT FAMOUS. 

The HD600 has the EXACT same strengths and weaknesses as the HD650 in terms of articulation and they sound fundamentally the same to me with only a tiny variance...the difference is easily made up with the volume control or playing a different track.  HD650 in the studio....believe it....very common.

HiFiman might have brought this sound over to us poor ass summit fi excluded...Hifiman are fast becoming legends...Robin Hood for us broke asses.  I might check out a pair soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back