Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jun 23, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #18,063 of 46,514
Just upgraded from the HD598's to the HD650's... Wow. I thought the HD598's were amazing and couldn't comprehend how it could get much better, so after constant curiosity I ended up getting some HD650's to see if it could get better. The sound absolutely did get better!

Pretty much the HD650's are all the good from the HD598's but a little better, bass is more prominent, sound is more clear due to better separation of instruments and vocals, the soundstage is just as amazing as the HD598's, the depth is about the same, but like I said, the separation is great! I've also heard other little details that might have been there before but just weren't as noticeable, like tiny echos from vocals, the small sounds that singers mouth's make due to the amount of saliva in their mouth or how clear their throat is. I feel like I can also hear little sounds from the artists moving inside the room they are recording in. In one track it sounded like they were on some old wood floor and when the singer would move I could hear the floor creak. Or when the pianist would press the pedals I could hear them move. Crazy stuff, I absolutely love them.

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #18,065 of 46,514
Your post had me thinking about a leather pad on the HD650. I cannibalized the mounting ring from an old pair of pads, inserted them into a HM5  pads(also oval and about the stock 650 pad size), and it fit quite nice.

They sound fantastic.

I've always been curious myself about how leather ear cushions would sound/look on my HD650.  If more Headfiers on this thread try this out it could open up a whole new can of worms & create some new/fresh interest on this thread.  I might even try it out myself eventually.  Thanks Fearless1 & yes they do indeed sound, I'm sure & look fantastic.  Good job !

Jun 23, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #18,066 of 46,514

I've always been curious myself about how leather ear cushions would sound/look on my HD650.  If more Headfiers on this thread try this out it could open up a whole new can of worms & create some new/fresh interest on this thread.  I might even try it out myself eventually.  Thanks Fearless1 & yes they do indeed sound, I'm sure & look fantastic.  Good job !

Thank you for the kind words!

I always prefer leather/pleather/lambskin over velour. I had my share of mistakes in pad rolling (ruined the X1 trying Alpha Pads and many others), but these sound fantastic. Increased bass, more natural tone to the vocals, and more focused sound, I am pleased .

Jun 24, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #18,067 of 46,514
There's no way that changing the physical form of a headphone will cause only positive qualities to emerge. You made a difference so now they're different. There are probably hollowed out points in the spectrum or other, possibly minor, anomalies.

Though I 'spose that's why you're Fearless.

Jun 24, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #18,069 of 46,514
  There's no way that changing the physical form of a headphone will cause only positive qualities to emerge. You made a difference so now they're different. There are probably hollowed out points in the spectrum or other, possibly minor, anomalies.

Though I 'spose that's why you're Fearless.

Ok. Thanks for your input.

It is a simple pad change that makes a minor difference that really does not detract from anything and enhances the bass a bit and the vocals sound less diffused . That is the way my ears interpret the sound.

Jun 24, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #18,070 of 46,514
As long as any mod suits the users taste it's all good.

Is this difficult to do and/or does it render the original pads useless?

Jun 24, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #18,071 of 46,514
Hey guys, may I join the thread?
I was curious and I've been using the HD600 for a while. However, I preferred portable setups for music so the HD600 became my TV/movie headphone (replaced my DT880 for that purpose). With some movies I thought I wouldn't mind a bit more low-end and some more space. So I grabbed a HD650 as well.

I am now looking for a better matching desktop amp. I prefer solid state over tubes so I was recommended the beyerdynamic A20. Considering I am more the IEM kind of person, I was hoping you have a cheaper recommendation for me that has close to 0 ohms output impedance and the option to switch gain easily.

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #18,073 of 46,514
  I am now looking for a better matching desktop amp. I prefer solid state over tubes so I was recommended the beyerdynamic A20. Considering I am more the IEM kind of person, I was hoping you have a cheaper recommendation for me that has close to 0 ohms output impedance and the option to switch gain easily.

Grab the Schiit Asgard 2.

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #18,074 of 46,514
Yeah, you have to actually cut the plastic mounting ring from the old pads.

I changed mine quite often through the years so I had plenty laying about.

Thanks. That's a pity but it may be a moot point as I can't find the HM5 pads in the UK.

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #18,075 of 46,514
When you say you cannilalized the mounting ring, what exactly did you do, to accomplish this.  I am in the market for new pads on my 650 so instead of new pads by Senn would like to try this first.  Thanks for your input, seems like a very good idea.

Q
uote:
  Your post had me thinking about a leather pad on the HD650. I cannibalized the mounting ring from an old pair of pads, inserted them into a HM5  pads(also oval and about the stock 650 pad size), and it fit quite nice.

They sound fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back