Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 21, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #17,521 of 46,523
  I have received my Denon D7100 today as a swap for my HD650. I only listened for 20m and have to leave home now. For now I can say, they are different. Will update more later if anyone is interested?:) 

Yes

May 22, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #17,522 of 46,523
May 22, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #17,523 of 46,523
Ive been listening to Denons yesterday. I only have them for 2 days now. Will need few days more to get a proper judgment on these.

What I can say now

- These are not headphones for everyone due to their bright nature ( look HD800 :wink:
- If anyone is claiming that they sound great with portable amp or Xperia z or tablet or iPhone, they don't know what they are saying. These are power hungry headphones and need substantial amount of current and power. Otherwise they sound like crap ( TESTED ! more to come ) 
- I can't hear any distortion, regardless to what measurements are saying    
- You can definitely hear those wooden cups when bass goes low. Same feeling as with sparkers! Thats absolutely amazing to me. 

Now, quick review for experienced speakers lads. Comparison to speakers setups. 

HD650 - Totem Mite with Tube amp and NOS DAC. Midrange is the king, you want to listen to them over and over. If there is anything they are missing, you don't care you just love the midrange. Intimate and fluent. 

Denon D7100 - Bowers Wilkins floor standers, with metal dome tweeter. Very difficult to drive , bright, reveling and need no compromise with amp, dac, cables. They can take any amount of power and no source or amp is to expensive! If anyone ever had BW floor standers, you get what Im saying ! And as same as with Bowers, D7100 are not for everyone. On the otter hand they are not as 'dry' as Bowers. It takes time to build proper setup for bowers and I only heard one proper over 18 years !

This is why some people can't take D7100 as its not just " yeah whatever amp" " give me these mic cables I make IC out of it "  

More to come ! 

May 22, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #17,525 of 46,523
  Well I am disappointed the Oppo HA-1 looked a interesting amp and I have been following the reviews but have just seen the UK pricing its £1199 that just over $2000 seriously What

Coming to the States any time soon?  $1199 seem a gigantic in pricing structure....

May 22, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #17,526 of 46,523
From the Oppo bb

Quote:
If you email or call Oppo Digital, you can buy it direct from them at the U.S. pricing.
http://www.oppodigital.com/ContactUs.aspx

Importing direct looks a better option for overseas buyers which good news but also a shame as I don't mind paying a little extra and supporting the industry here but I draw the line at such blatant profiteering.

Nobody likes to feel like they are being ripped off and that's exactly what it is if you can buy retail and import paying all shipping import duty handling fees extra and still end up paying significantly less than a product which is brought and shipped in baulk with wholesale discount.  

May 22, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #17,527 of 46,523
Lads, don't forget you also paying for ability to send unit for guarantee purposes. In case of faulty item, imagine sending this back to US and then the other way. Im not saying its not overpriced but still its safer to buy such an expensive and fragile items in your own country. 

May 22, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #17,528 of 46,523
I have been reading this forum too long. You finally made me do it. I ordered some custom silver cables for my HD650's. All I can say is, "I'd better hear an improvement!!!"
L3000.gif

May 22, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #17,529 of 46,523
I have been reading this forum too long. You finally made me do it. I ordered some custom silver cables for my HD650's. All I can say is, "I'd better hear an improvement!!!":L3000:
[/quote

You will, with good cable, what did you order? For all the anti-cable guy's out there, just switched my USB cable from a generic gray one to PYST, the difference is not sublime! Wool removed, clearer, cleaner, better bass, highs, mids

May 23, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #17,532 of 46,523

Importing direct looks a better option for overseas buyers which good news but also a shame as I don't mind paying a little extra and supporting the industry here but I draw the line at such blatant profiteering.

Nobody likes to feel like they are being ripped off and that's exactly what it is if you can buy retail and import paying all shipping import duty handling fees extra and still end up paying significantly less than a product which is brought and shipped in baulk with wholesale discount.  

Not sure why so expensive in UK, but most electronic products seem quite expensive in the EU.

Thanks a lot for sharing the ha-1 link. The layout inside seems pretty interesting. Lots of good stuff inside...not too sure how it performs overall.

May 23, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #17,534 of 46,523
If you always buy cables for function (custom length, flexibility and lack of microphonics), then you'll never be disappointed if there is no sonic improvement. That's my philosophy anyway and I'm sticking to it. 
wink.gif

May 23, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #17,535 of 46,523
  If you always buy cables for function (custom length, flexibility and lack of microphonics), then you'll never be disappointed if there is no sonic improvement. That's my philosophy anyway and I'm sticking to it. 
wink.gif

This is exactly the same way that I see cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back