Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 8, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #17,371 of 46,554
May 8, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #17,372 of 46,554

cool track 
smily_headphones1.gif

this below video sounds amazing with virtually any headphone, but especially with open back ones 
cool.gif

​

May 8, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #17,373 of 46,554

How ya boy Michael Jackson sounding?  Where in NY you from?  Congrats man, I just got my 650's a couple of weeks ago.

I'm actually not from NY at all lol; I'm from Delaware. I just like to go to the meets on the upper east coast. I haven't listened to too much Michael Jackson so far. I love female vocals and after listening to a few of them, I've just been stuck on that
biggrin.gif
. Also, I had a test like an hour after I picked them up and I just got back so I could listen some more.

May 8, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #17,375 of 46,554

I'm actually not from NY at all lol; I'm from Delaware. I just like to go to the meets on the upper east coast. I haven't listened to too much Michael Jackson so far. I love female vocals and after listening to a few of them, I've just been stuck on that
biggrin.gif
. Also, I had a test like an hour after I picked them up and I just got back so I could listen some more.

No doubt.  I have been listening to Off the Wall (24/96 Flac vinyl rip) which sounded great.  Enough jibber jabba; you get back to it and enjoy.

May 8, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #17,376 of 46,554
Well, the D1 definitely has enough juice for them. Most songs (depending on the loudness in the mastering) are at medium-loud to loud volume at about 10 o clock on the volume pot. I think so far the only headphones I put in them that they couldn't power sufficiently were the T1's and the K701s. Synergy on the other hand is another thing.

My only real complaint about the HD650's is at the moment, they got a decent clamp to them. I also have a big head so there is that.

@CRITICALSHOT Yep, I have the 24/96 as well.

May 8, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #17,377 of 46,554
Thanks for your reply - another head-fi member commented to not bother looking at the 650's due to me owning the HD800's and a few other top tier cans, but I assumed this is because they don't assume there would be any SQ gain to be had when compared to the 650's.

So its interesting to read another perspective from yourself.

There's nowhere near to me to audition the 600's or 650's for myself, so asking the right questions to owners is my best approach to understanding the difference in sound between these cans, though I understand everybody has their own take on what they hear and sound is subjective.

Can I ask you, what makes the HD600's your one can winner over the HD800's & the 650's?

I think Tyll nails it in this comparison ....
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/very-important-sennheiser-hd-580-hd-600-and-hd-650
Basically for me the hd6** headphones sound more alike than not. The main differences are hd650 has slight more tilted balance toward bass so at similar volumes the hd650 sounds ever so slightly darker and possibly as a result a little 'cleaner' sounding . I actually put this down to the lack of 'air' From the more balanced hd600. I don't think either has better anything, the quality of the sound is identical and neither gives away anything to the other , in isolation for example I would say the bass is the same and the treble is the same but when music is playing and all the frequencies are present the hd600 sounds more natural and neutral and like all the frequencies have equal volume . On the other hand the 650 has slightly less treble and upper mids especially around 4-6 kHz .this gives them a very slightly darker signature which makes them better for people that prefer a slight more focus on bass and lower mids rather than treble. It's a very small difference and it comes down to your preference.Both are amazing headphones .

May 8, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #17,378 of 46,554

Honestly don't even bother with these if you own the LCD, HE6, and HD800.

Oh, ok, thanks for your frankness 
smily_headphones1.gif

The HD800 is my favourite headphone but no way does it diminish the HD650 to the point that it's not worth owning.

You have a nice collection of headphones. May as well add an unassailable classic.

May 8, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #17,379 of 46,554
  Honestly don't even bother with these if you own the LCD, HE6, and HD800.

He has to walk thru the path of the hd650 once in his headfilife..:p

He might get tired of the weight...the brightness...n sick of the powerhunger of these TOTLs..
at another stage in his life..nvr know.

then a hd650 would be a possible brilliant option. 

May 8, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #17,380 of 46,554
A headphone amp upgrade for my 650's that will also power planars, when I am able to save enough $$$, seeking input. Have received good advice on the Schiit Line ( my last name is Heine so it is a natural :wink:, though which amp? Others? All past, current and future advice is appreciated, though my budget is somewhat limited due to a brush with death in 2007 that left me disabled. Thanks to all!!!

You might want to look at the amps here as well.  I purchased the Ember and had Jeremy build it, and the amps is really great.  http://garage1217.com/index.html

May 8, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #17,381 of 46,554
Thank you, I checked out the site, the Ember is beautiful, and they can be purchased pre-built ( not sure I have the skills necessary to build one) at a very reasonable price. Anybody else have experience with Garage 1217 or Schiit Amps and Senn 650 or 800's?

May 8, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #17,382 of 46,554
I suppose Lyr is a good choice if you consider going planar in the future. And there are rumours about Lyr 2 coming out soon-ish.

May 8, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #17,383 of 46,554
I received both my hd650's and my Vali amp from schiit and I've been listening to music like crazy for 3.5 hours now. :atsmile:

May 9, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #17,385 of 46,554
I think Tyll nails it in this comparison ....
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/very-important-sennheiser-hd-580-hd-600-and-hd-650
Basically for me the hd6** headphones sound more alike than not. The main differences are hd650 has slight more tilted balance toward bass so at similar volumes the hd650 sounds ever so slightly darker and possibly as a result a little 'cleaner' sounding . I actually put this down to the lack of 'air' From the more balanced hd600. I don't think either has better anything, the quality of the sound is identical and neither gives away anything to the other , in isolation for example I would say the bass is the same and the treble is the same but when music is playing and all the frequencies are present the hd600 sounds more natural and neutral and like all the frequencies have equal volume . On the other hand the 650 has slightly less treble and upper mids especially around 4-6 kHz .this gives them a very slightly darker signature which makes them better for people that prefer a slight more focus on bass and lower mids rather than treble. It's a very small difference and it comes down to your preference.Both are amazing headphones .

Thanks for your comparison and link.

From what you describe, which is very much in line with other comments I've read elsewhere, the 650's have more appeal to me due to slighter more bass and lower mids 
cool.gif

Nice 1 - thanks again 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back