Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 1, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #17,221 of 46,514

Yeah, UK only. Im in Dublin. To be honest don't know why some sellers don't ship abroad. I always send worldwide, never had a problem.  

PM the seller and ask them, 90% of the time they will when you ask but as i'm sure you know it usually costs twice that of UK shipping.  I'm lucky in that my sister lives in N.Ireland so i can use her address which costs the same as mainland UK, never could figure that one out when its less than 100 miles up the road
rolleyes.gif

May 1, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #17,222 of 46,514
Yeah, UK only. Im in Dublin. To be honest don't know why some sellers don't ship abroad. I always send worldwide, never had a problem.  

I wish I was in Dublin right now.

May 1, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #17,224 of 46,514

I don't want to spend more than 800 for an amp and a DAC.  If I can spend less that is always good...

I will be listening to everything (Music), including movies and games.

You're not going to get a much better tube amp for the price of the Valhalla.  You'll basically have to break the $1000 barrier to get better sound.

May 1, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #17,225 of 46,514
I almost bought a schiit Vali last night because I heard it was good value amp at 120. But I think its best I just stick with the D1 until I feel the need to upgrade based on performance.

May 1, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #17,226 of 46,514

You're not going to get a much better tube amp for the price of the Valhalla.  You'll basically have to break the $1000 barrier to get better sound.

Hear hear.  Great with the HD650, and probably also with other high-impedance phones. 

Just remember that it has a signature that does not surprise given that it is triode and single ended. Rich and smooth.  The fact that it is also OTL and zero feedback don't seem to limit anything other than the phone impedance that could be used, and the naturalness.  

May 1, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #17,227 of 46,514

Hear hear.  Great with the HD650, and probably also with other high-impedance phones. 

Just remember that it has a signature that does not surprise given that it is triode and single ended. Rich and smooth.  The fact that it is also OTL and zero feedback don't seem to limit anything other than the phone impedance that could be used, and the naturalness.  

I have read all the major reviews on the Valhalla.  The theme of the reviews is that the Valhalla sparkles and twinkles in the top end opposed to others tube amps that usually sound richer/warmer.  This is the reason why they tend to say it mates well with the 650 (which they say is rolled off at the top end and lush warm in the mid bass).

It also can drives 300 ohm HP's well:

Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-400KHz, -3dB
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 100mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 420mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 210mW RMS per channel

I have not heard the Valhalla so I don't know for myself. What do you mean the tube amp "limits the naturalness"?  What is zero feedback and how can it be a plus or a negative? I am about to purchase the Valhalla...I live in the USA so I need to pick the 115vac option correct?

May 1, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #17,230 of 46,514

I have read all the major reviews on the Valhalla.  The theme of the reviews is that the Valhalla sparkles and twinkles in the top end opposed to others tube amps that usually sound richer/warmer.  This is the reason why they tend to say it mates well with the 650 (which they say is rolled off at the top end and lush warm in the mid bass).

It also can drives 300 ohm HP's well:

Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-400KHz, -3dB
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 100mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 420mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 210mW RMS per channel

I have not heard the Valhalla so I don't know for myself. What do you mean the tube amp "limits the naturalness"?  What is zero feedback and how can it be a plus or a negative? I am about to purchase the Valhalla...I live in the USA so I need to pick the 115vac option correct?

I can't go into a full explanation.  The Valhalla is not bright or sparkly (unless that's on the recording) and it does not act as a tone control.  Also, particularly with minor mods and good cables, the HD650 roll off is less than reputed.  But what it does in the treble on my HD650s was distinctly more accurate and pleasureable than on the Fireflies and even the Lyr (cables might have made a difference, but all were good aftermarket ones.)  Power specs are of limited use, so long as they are not drastically short of phone recommendations.  And I didn't say anything about "limits" the naturalness. But I did compare the triode and single-ended aspects of sound to power amps with those features: triodes are smooth and uncanny in their realism, and with realistic transients, but some is illusion due to a bit higher harmonic distortion perhaps. Single ended similarly increases the even order harmonics, reducing the difference from the odd, which is shown in studies to increase perceived realism. On some music passages, this can reduce the startle factor vividness of detail compared to, say, the literal but sometimes exaggerated sharpness of some solid state, for example.  I'm sure others can put these better into words or context than my tired brain can at the moment.  

Yes, the Valhalla is a bargain, but I don't think it is promoted as much because it has a narrower range of headphones for which it voices well.  For example, don't expect low-Z phones to mate well... hit or miss based on the 'phone's impedance curve variations, probably.  

Also, I love the small form factor, making it a great living room recliner or bedside unit.  

May 1, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #17,231 of 46,514
  I am about to purchase the Valhalla...I live in the USA so I need to pick the 115vac option correct?  Don't get this one wrong, I will be disappointed when I get my amp tomorrow!

Correct.  115 V for North America.

May 1, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #17,232 of 46,514

The lyr is a very good amp and pairs well with the 650...very well. But consider that the lyr runs $475 shipped and you MuST roll in a decent set of tubes that will go about $50, so $525. If you are willing to build the crack kit or have someone build it for you, you can get a better pairing for less. Kit =$300 shipped plus the Tung sol 5998 will run about $375. That's an amazing deal when you consider the places it will take the 650. 

Both amps are very good choices and my two personal favorites.

The lyr is built like a tank with no maintanence required and has the option to roll in some nice tubes to flavor the sound to your liking. The lyr will also do a great job with other hp's especially planar mags. 

The Crack is special though and seems like it may have been build exclusively for the 650. IMO it is a clearly and appreciable better choice for the 650. But it will not have the flexibility to drive other hp's, especially planar mags, like the lyr. 

At first, I actually wanted to try the BHC, but knowing that it mainly just shined with Senns and Beyers , I thought the price was a tad to high, unless you build it yourself.

Then I found that the Mad Ear , with the right tube was just beautiful with the HD650.

May 1, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #17,233 of 46,514

I don't want to spend more than 800 for an amp and a DAC.  If I can spend less that is always good...

I will be listening to everything (Music), including movies and games.

If you are willing to spend 800 on amp and dac.....you can prolly awing a crack and just be done with it.....then spend the rest on a dac.

May 1, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #17,235 of 46,514

I can't go into a full explanation.  The Valhalla is not bright or sparkly (unless that's on the recording) and it does not act as a tone control.  Also, particularly with minor mods and good cables, the HD650 roll off is less than reputed.  But what it does in the treble on my HD650s was distinctly more accurate and pleasureable than on the Fireflies and even the Lyr (cables might have made a difference, but all were good aftermarket ones.)  Power specs are of limited use, so long as they are not drastically short of phone recommendations.  And I didn't say anything about "limits" the naturalness. But I did compare the triode and single-ended aspects of sound to power amps with those features: triodes are smooth and uncanny in their realism with realistic transients but some is illusion due to a bit higher harmonic distortion perhaps. Single ended similarly increases the even order harmonics which are shown in studies to increase perceived realism. On some music passages, this can reduce the vividness compared to, say, the literal but sometimes exaggerated sharpness of solid state, for example.  I'm sure others can put these better into words or context than my tired brain at the moment.  

Headphonia made mention of the treble of the Valhalla:

"The Valhalla actually had a clearer sound with more sparkle in the low treble. It had a more solid state-like clarity and sparkle, but it’s not exactly dry sounding. It actually reminds me a lot of the sparkly treble in the Grace m902 amplifier section, which is a chip-based solid state headphone amp (I know, it’s totally unrelated, chip amps and tube amps). But I definitely won’t describe the Valhalla as having the traditional “tubey” sound. The Lyr has a thick lower mid-upper bass area, which progresses to a fairly lean treble section." 

There was something similar in the 6moons review.  I think everything that you said is spot on theory wise and was very helpful.  I made mention of the treble characteristics as it is what swayed me in the direction of the Valhalla (650 and Valhalla sitting in a tree m-a-t-i-n-g).  I hope I made the right choice and I will get mine tomorrow and see for myself.  I appreciate the time you took to answer my question and it reinforced some things I knew and added perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back