Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 20, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #16,997 of 46,499
Hi people !

Recently bought the 650s with a ASUS Xonar Essence STX I

Very versatile cans, I enjoy them a lot, even with orchestral.

Alan

Agreed. The closest I've heard to a one size fits all solution.

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #16,999 of 46,499

Hey guys, one last question before i pull the trigger on the HD650;

Do you think their clarity / detail is on par with other modern headphones in its price range like the HE-400, fidelio x1, ATH-AD900 X, etc.?

Also, i guess the only version being sold is the newer one (im buying them in thomann by the way)

Thanks

Quote:
  Hi people !

Recently bought the 650s with a ASUS Xonar Essence STX I

Very versatile cans, I enjoy them a lot, even with orchestral.

Alan

Good to know you enjoy them with the essence, im pairing them with that card too.

Apr 20, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #17,004 of 46,499
Far from indestructibe, it is easily breakable. Some parts can be replaced, but still, it can be a hassle.

Especially the hair thin wires and the connector springs.

It can be done though, but you need to be VERY carefull. I wouldn't suggest doing it if you don't feel safe.

Apr 20, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #17,006 of 46,499
  I have owned the HD650 for a few months now, and the switch in tubes from a 5751 to a 12AX7{Gold Lion} in my Mad ear has made a great deal of difference......the more the new tube burns in the greater the HD650 sounds.

This headphone is much better than I first thought, and it was pretty good then.....just went to another level with the higher gain tube.

It definitely out performs its fairly low price tag.....I mainly listen to R&B.

Curious... Are you finding optimal HD650 tubes to be less than optimal with your RS1i ?  One of the problems I have always had with my Millet, it was voiced by its builder for the HD580, and it sounds very shouty and edgy in the upper mids with my RS1 and K701.  I have used other members HD650 voiced  amps with my brighter cans and had similar results with all of them.

Well, to be sure of the model, it needs to be openend, which can be tedious for some.

Oldest to newest, left to right

Not entirely true.  You can look through the perf mesh earcup and see the reflective/metallic mesh of the HD650 baffle.  I do not know how to decipher the actual drivers though.  It would not take much for someone to transplant HD580/600 driver "lollipops" into the HD650 silver mesh baffle plate.  At that point its anyones best guess I think.

The 650 is indestructyible.read you can replacer everything if something goes wrong right?

Hardly, Headbands have been known to crack/break on all of them (580/600/650).  While replacement parts can be ordered from senn, availability varies greatly.  In the case of the headband, they don't sell just the headband by itself.  You have to purchase the whole assembly (headband + "Y" yokes).  Thats the most expensive part on the bill of materials at ~$90 +S/H.

The small spring contacts in the earcups have a well documented history of intermittency.  For a while a few years ago Senn was offering replacement springs.  Never tried it myself, but knowing how thin the lead wires are on these cans... replacing that spring definitely looks like a nerve-racking repair.  When my 580 springs developed a contact failure, I just re-bent the coils back using a bamboo BBQ skewer.

Apr 20, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #17,007 of 46,499

Curious... Are you finding optimal HD650 tubes to be less than optimal with your RS1i ?  One of the problems I have always had with my Millet, it was voiced by its builder for the HD580, and it sounds very shouty and edgy in the upper mids with my RS1 and K701.  I have used other members HD650 voiced  amps with my brighter cans and had similar results with all of them.

Not entirely true.  You can look through the perf mesh earcup and see the reflective/metallic mesh of the HD650 baffle.  I do not know how to decipher the actual drivers though.  It would not take much for someone to transplant HD580/600 driver "lollipops" into the HD650 silver mesh baffle plate.  At that point its anyones best guess I think.

Hardly, Headbands have been known to crack/break on all of them (580/600/650).  While replacement parts can be ordered from senn, availability varies greatly.  In the case of the headband, they don't sell just the headband by itself.  You have to purchase the whole assembly (headband + "Y" yokes).  Thats the most expensive part on the bill of materials at ~$90 +S/H.

The small spring contacts in the earcups have a well documented history of intermittency.  For a while a few years ago Senn was offering replacement springs.  Never tried it myself, but knowing how thin the lead wires are on these cans... replacing that spring definitely looks like a nerve-racking repair.  When my 580 springs developed a contact failure, I just re-bent the coils back using a bamboo BBQ skewer.

Yes, Kramer.

I find the higher gain 12AX7 a beautiful match for my HD650....but not as good for the RS1i....I much prefer the 5751 Sylvania TM black plate for those.....the synergy is just much greater.

When I switch headphones, I just also swap tubes.....then both cans have fantastic synergy. 
smile.gif

Apr 20, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #17,008 of 46,499
does any of you guys have this stickers on the back of you headphones box? one says sennheiser.com.cn (china) with a hologram, as far as I know this are made in ireland, is the first time I see those 2 stickers, I went to another store to check if they had them and they didn't, do you guys think they where for the chinese market or something?

Apr 20, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #17,009 of 46,499
  does any of you guys have this stickers on the back of you headphones box? one says sennheiser.com.cn (china) with a hologram, as far as I know this are made in ireland, is the first time I see those 2 stickers, I went to another store to check if they had them and they didn't, do you guys think they where for the chinese market or something?

Nope, mine only comes with one sticker stating the serial number. Product in different markets may have different boxes or labels though.

All HD650s are made in Ireland.

Apr 20, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #17,010 of 46,499
  Well, to be sure of the model, it needs to be openend, which can be tedious for some.

Oldest to newest, left to right

Agree. The other method is to check the serial number. I remember vaguely 650s with serial number above 70,000 or 80,000 are new models. 

Do the online stores still sell the old version? It would be a pain to send the headphones back considering i will receive them around two full weeks after i made the payment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back