Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 26, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #16,456 of 46,553
  Of course you joke about being homeless, right?

If only I was joking...
frown.gif

Mar 27, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #16,458 of 46,553
I just got my HD650's the other day and they absolutely blow everything else I own away (Mackie MR5MK2 monitors and Shure SE535 IEMs)... Now I can't wait until I can afford a decent amp and DAC. I'm currently using them with my Steinberg CI2 USB studio / DAC and couldn't even begin to imagine how these could sound better haha.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Mar 27, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #16,459 of 46,553
What Amp/Dac do you have in mind?

Mar 27, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #16,462 of 46,553
Oh I had edited it. I was trying to get the text "bottlehead crack diy kit" to be a click-able link but the codes didn't seem to work

Anyhow, I think I'm also going to have to learn how to start making some good quality diy cables as that could quickly get expensive as well! 

For now, the CI2 really does a great job. I find there's too much bass sometimes, but then I turn down and then it doesn't sound as full and I can hear the veil. It will be hard to move away from using the CI2. I have the DI out from my bass amp and monitors hooked up to it..

Mar 27, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #16,463 of 46,553
My HD 650 is also going to arrive in the next few days but my PC DAC and amp ain't. I too can't wait to get my hands on a good amp and DAC my portable one is decent but I am afraid it won't sound as good if I paired it with a tube amp. Do you guys have any amp/dac or seperate components for my HD 650? my budget is around $350

Mar 28, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #16,464 of 46,553
Sorry to intrude on the Crack-fest but I can't seem to find the HD650 appreciation thread.

As a "veteran" HD650 owner I still have those moments when this headphone surprises with its ability to connect me to the music. It really is remarkable in this aspect.

I mean - there are warts and imperfections evident - but mostly I don't care.

This is just from the lowly Mjolnir too. Can't fathom what it'd be like from the amaze-balls Crackhead amp. 
wink.gif

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #16,465 of 46,553
Yep. The only time I've previously sunk as much time into just sitting and listening to music is via the Miles Davis Tribute IEMs. That might seem like an odd comparison but they're all about the lush mids and that mid-bass sweet spot, too. Obviously, the imaging and detail is very different but I could lose hours with them, as with the 650. That said, I could never go back to IEMs at this point.

The amazing thing about the 650s to me is that they sounded great with the Fiio E7, better with the E9 and then absolutely stellar with the Crack. And since then, with some tube rolling they've flourished to an even higher level. With a 5998 and E80CC, they're unbelievable compared to through the E7. I fully expect the Speedball upgrade to take them up even further. It's like they are starting to surpass the music in my head.

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #16,466 of 46,553
I am now selling my HD800s, I have tried the HD800s with an OTL valve amp and they still sound tipped up even after I have tried to EQ them.  I always go back to my HD650s.  These are amazing cans that scale will the right gear.

Mar 28, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #16,467 of 46,553
  Sorry to intrude on the Crack-fest but I can't seem to find the HD650 appreciation thread.

As a "veteran" HD650 owner I still have those moments when this headphone surprises with its ability to connect me to the music. It really is remarkable in this aspect.

I mean - there are warts and imperfections evident - but mostly I don't care.

This is just from the lowly Mjolnir too. Can't fathom what it'd be like from the amaze-balls Crackhead amp. 
wink.gif

I've been wondering where you've been. Someone needed to get in here and poo-poo on our crack fest. 
biggrin.gif
 I'll stand behind the Crack being the amp that brings out the very best the 650 can offer. The Crack takes all the things that make us love the 650 and brings them to the highest level IMO. 

Mar 28, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #16,468 of 46,553
Here is something different and from a confirmed Crack head.

I picked up a replacement bedroom system speaker amp a few days ago its a TEAC Reference A-H500 and its headphone out is really pretty good with the HD650. Teac also make some dedicated high end head amp kit.

I am really quiet impressed with the sonic ability both with speakers and phones and the build quality is top notch. The metal front panel is a attractive champagne colour but looks more silver in the pics. The switches and dials have a nice feel to them and are also metal.

I reckon it is a bit of a second hand bargain imho.  

The Toroidal transformer gives 50 watts RMS per channel 20 Hz - 20,000 Hz @ 8 ohms and 80 watts RMS per channel 20 Hz - 20,000 Hz @ 4 ohms.

The amp was $150 brought locally and I picked the matching cd player up off of ebay for $65 delivered it makes a great compact system and I have no qualms about recommending the amp for stand alone headphone use.  Its a neat compact amp which oozes quality with a host of features balance, treble, bass, etc, for not a lot of money.

Web pics

and a link to the thread with some more info and where I borrowed the nice pics from.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/amps-pre-pros-receivers/68029-teac-reference-series-6.html

Mar 28, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #16,469 of 46,553
Nice vintage gear!! You need to get over to the vintage receiver/amp thread. You should hear some planar mag hp's with a vintage receiver. They just LOVE the power from the old steel. 

Mar 28, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #16,470 of 46,553
  Nice vintage gear!! You need to get over to the vintage receiver/amp thread. You should hear some planar mag hp's with a vintage receiver. They just LOVE the power from the old steel. 

Vintage cough, cough, its only a few years out of production! Listening to it now with the 650's, have it connected to my dac streaming some tunes  
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back