Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 6, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #15,182 of 46,565
  I did the same thing, upgraded the Solo SRG2 to a Ultra-Linear Edition paired with M2Tech hiFace DAC with my HD-650'S. You will not be sorry for the upgrade.

when I listen to the SRG2 I never feel that the bass nor the treble is so much
well what if I'm overwhelmed by them, I'm not a real fan of TH900s for that reason, too much bass, too much sparkle in the high end

Jan 6, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #15,184 of 46,565

I'm not sure how many members might have caught the article on Headfonia with respect to how the sound could change as a Sennheiser pad ages.  

http://www.headfonia.com/what-happens-as-the-cushion-pads-ages/

* I've posted the link to the article which I found of unique benefit when I read it several months ago.  I'm assuming that the link to Headfonia would be OK as some links to other sites could cause a bit of contention with Head-Fi.  Apologies if the link to that site might be prohibited.

Thanks. I did catch this article quite some time ago but had forgotten about it. I'm not sure that I can actually hear a difference between my year old, twice washed pads and those that are brand new. Now that I have the new set I'll test my skills and see if I can pass a blind test.

Jan 6, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #15,185 of 46,565

Thanks. I did catch this article quite some time ago but had forgotten about it. I'm not sure that I can actually hear a difference between my year old, twice washed pads and those that are brand new. Now that I have the new set I'll test my skills and see if I can pass a blind test.

The time that someone will take to switch the pads or make believe they are switching the pads will probably be too long and interfere with one's sensory memory for audio for accurate close comparisons. Of course if something sounds really bad, memory is not required.
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #15,186 of 46,565
The different condition headphone pad indeed will have different sound. It's just like you change the eartips for IEMs, the sound will definitely change too. The logic is the distance between our ears and the headphone driver will change.

Jan 6, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #15,187 of 46,565
The logic is the distance between our ears and the headphone driver will change.

Exactly, 100%. My biggest issue with almost every headphone I have bought, is getting the distance between my ear and the driver just right. With some, I was unable to change due to not having pads I could replace and ended up just selling them. Like the V-Moda M80 for example. Even after I stuffed them with tissue paper, it was still not the right amount of distance for me. Luckly, with others such as the Koss PortaPros, the Sennheiser HD414 Pads worked perfect and really helped with the overall SQ.

As for the HD650, I find out of the box, the pads have a good ear to driver distance. I do wonder about how they will sound over time as the distance to the driver and my ear get shorter. I think it might actually improve the SQ.

Jan 6, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #15,189 of 46,565
My HD580 that I had for almost 10 years, I had to change the pads on it 3 times and the headband once. They will eventually wear down but it wasn't an over night change. It's also very apparent when to change them. They don't look level all over, one area will look permanently squashed down.

Jan 6, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #15,191 of 46,565
Really liking the HD 650s on the Lyr with burning-in (about 40 hours now) 1974 Voskhod Rockets for lo-fi or really bright recordings (lots of indie rock).  They are the great leveler, which makes for easy listening.  The same recordings on the HE-500s are a little too bright or harsh.  Forget about them on the Q701s.  For some things the HD 650s are just a little dull or bass-bloated.  Synergy synergy synergy 
smile.gif

Also, the JDS Labs C5 pairs really nicely with them.  All this through the Sabre U2 DAC.

Jan 6, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #15,192 of 46,565

That's the weird thing: I don't have any RCA cables lying around, yet I somehow ended with 2 coaxial cables. I decided to take a gamble and use the coaxial cables because I figured it should theoretically be okay from what I read. Can anyone else give me more insight on this? I hope I'm correct...

You'll be fine using the digital cables (impedance of those cables are 75 ohms, and I'm sure most headphone amps' input impedance is lower than this).

Jan 6, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #15,193 of 46,565
  You can do the old trick (used to discuss in ATH AD-Series thread), using a small hose inside the padding. Something like this:

Cushion do change by long time pressure, but I think rubber is harder to changing the shape.

That's an interesting idea... I used cotton balls that I pulled out once, and they compressed out pretty quickly. Going to try this. 

Jan 6, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #15,195 of 46,565
Hello all,

My Vali is arriving on Wednesday. Im rather excited. 

Will be running:

(mac) itunes>>Audioengine D1>>Vali>> Senn HD 650.

I will most probably sell my D1 as it is relatively new (under two months) and go for a dedicated amp. Currently I could go for a Cambridge Audio DacMAgic 100...

Anyone have any experience/thoughts on the set up? 

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back