Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 27, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #14,987 of 46,514
cAOccLW.jpg

Dec 27, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #14,989 of 46,514
O2 is a good BUDGET option for the HD-650. I don't know how anyone could say otherwise.
I mean it's not coloring it's sound in any way and sounds nearly identical (like 95%) to how it also sounds on other dead neutral amps.
IMO the O2 isn't bright/cold or thin. The treble could be a tad smoother with the brightest headphones, but that's nit-picking.

I really do think if people absolutely HATE the O2 with the HD-650 they prefer more coloration. Nothing wrong with that.
I like the nice mids of the HD-650 just as they are. No, i'm no O2 fanboy and it's not even my main amp, but for $130 or so it's tough to beat as an "All-rounder" amp.

With 3 of my favorite amps the soundstage of the HD-650 is really quite large and spacious sounding. I really don't want to change this, lose detail and make things sound "thicker".

I've been playing Dark Souls on the Xbox 360 non-stop lately with the HD-650 and an O2 in the bedroom and love it. Sounds perfect with movies too and no lack of bass and never does it sound closed in or congested.

I'd take the iFi iCAN, Micro Amp, O2 or Magni over the Vali for the HD-650 any day. Magni is a little bright though and iCAN's soundstage is just average with the HD-650. It has some warmth.

BTW strangely enough my HD-650 in the last month has gotten more use than my modded Q701. Mostly due to it being very slightly more comfortable.

HD-650 and modded Q701 are now very closed in sound and I know that's hard to believe. HD-650 always had a little more bass than the stock Q701, but now it's even closer.

Dec 27, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #14,990 of 46,514
^^
If someone hates the sound with an O2 it means they don't like the headphone.

Dec 27, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #14,992 of 46,514
I just came here to tell ya bastards to never upgrade on the HD650 if you like it. You won't find a better one.

Dec 27, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #14,994 of 46,514
If any of you remember, I messed up the wiring on one of my drivers last month. I ended up having to resort to buying a new pair of drivers (didn't want to leave one new, one old). They arrived earlier this week. It feels good to be listening to my HD 650s again. I was going through withdrawl. It was pretty bad. Anyway, it felt like I was going through a brief burn-in period. When I first used them, it seemed as though the bass was lacking. Everything opened really quickly after I started listening for a little bit.

Currently, I have my HD 650s hooked up to my Fiio X3. I set it to high gain and set the bass to 2. They drive my headphones surprisingly well. I'd definitely recommend this simple setup for someone who doesn't want to spend a ton of money on a DAC and amp.

Dec 27, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #14,995 of 46,514
  If any of you remember, I messed up the wiring on one of my drivers last month. I ended up having to resort to buying a new pair of drivers (didn't want to leave one new, one old). They arrived earlier this week. It feels good to be listening to my HD 650s again. I was going through withdrawl. It was pretty bad. Anyway, it felt like I was going through a brief burn-in period. When I first used them, it seemed as though the bass was lacking. Everything opened really quickly after I started listening for a little bit.

Currently, I have my HD 650s hooked up to my Fiio X3. I set it to high gain and set the bass to 2. They drive my headphones surprisingly well. I'd definitely recommend this simple setup for someone who doesn't want to spend a ton of money on a DAC and amp.

I used this setup when I was out of town last week. I thought that it was just okay. If I spent more time on the road I'd probably want something a bit more dynamic. 

Dec 27, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #14,996 of 46,514
I just came here to tell ya bastards to never upgrade on the HD650 if you like it. You won't find a better one.

Even Sennheiser couldn't improve on the HD650. They had to come up with a new model number. :wink:

Dec 27, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #14,997 of 46,514

That´s what I love about Sennheiser, you can always get missing parts or new ones. That makes the product and service priceless (IMO) 
I can imagine how it was for you, having some memories and getting to know your HP once again, I´m glad it all work out great. I listen to my HD650 with my DX50 on gain 2 and I like too the way it sounds. I know that there are some better options but for me, it works great when I´m working or doing something where I have to move and can stay at my desk

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #14,998 of 46,514
I am running my 650's through the meier corda arietta amp with the volume at 2 o'clock,
and an audio gd-fun as DAC/preamp set to noon.

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #14,999 of 46,514

I used this setup when I was out of town last week. I thought that it was just okay. If I spent more time on the road I'd probably want something a bit more dynamic. 

I was just trying out the Fiio X3 with my HD 650s because I recently bought it for my IEMs. I am curious about the Uber Bifrost, though. Does it require another amp or can it be used as a standalone effectively? Also, was there a huge difference going from regular Bifrost to Uber? I notice Amazon.com has both for sale, but only the regular version has free shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back